Ante
Ars Diaboli
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1CoD Elite = $50 Empty CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-02, 18:08

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

http://kotaku.com/5836828/call-of-duty-elite-premium-membership-costs-4999-a-year-includes-all-this-and-more

So, of you poor souls actually buying the game, who will also pay for Elite?

2CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-02, 18:16

Ante

Ante

It depends.

If the game is good enough to warrant it, I will.

3CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-02, 18:17

TheGM

TheGM

Sleep

4CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-02, 18:25

MEGA MILK

MEGA MILK

Unless this DLC is game-changingly awesome, I don't see myself paying for it.

5CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-02, 19:18

Dropped Da Soap

Dropped Da Soap

I don't even see myself buying the new CoD, so no.

Besides, who is to say this will be cross game? I haven't seen anything that says if you buy a one year thing for say Blops, it wont make you buy it again to get everything in MW3. Which knowing Activi$ion, it might end up like that.

6CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-02, 23:39

chunckylover53

Wow.. 50? Is that a fucking joke?

7CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-02, 23:40

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

no thanks.I don't like call of duty

8CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 00:21

Duck

Duck

This can't work. The multiplayer video for MW3 proves it; it's half dislikes. BF is kicking CoD's ass even on youtube, CoD has nowhere near the monopoly it had on online shooters it had during MW2 to pull off this kind of deal. This may have worked from CoD4 to MW2 but now there's just too many alternatives to paying extra for CoD.

9CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 00:24

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I'll smile the day COD crumbles Smile ....how long before people get tired of buyin the same thing every year....that's why I quit bothering with madden

10CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 02:29

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Depends. If it gives me something I want (like new weapons) then sure. If it doesn't have anything I want then no.

...pretty much like any other item for sale in the world.

11CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 10:50

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

A guy at work is really into COD and he was telling me with Elite you get all the map packs for free so it would actually save you money in the long run if you're just gonna buy the map packs anyways.

I won't be touching COD again since I have BF...MW2 was enough for me. Plus I usually only play one game from a genre at any given time so BF3 is gonna be my FPS for the foreseeable future.

12CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 11:16

chunckylover53

The sick thing is this isen't even a one time pay kinda deal it's yearly.

13CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 12:56

Symbolic

Symbolic

Good Lord Suspect

14CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 13:00

Cubist Castle

Cubist Castle

chunckylover53 wrote:The sick thing is this isen't even a one time pay kinda deal it's yearly.

Hahahahahaha! It just keeps getting better. They're out of their fucking minds.

15CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 13:30

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

^And people will pay for it. ...

16CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 13:44

1fnbighen

1fnbighen

and cod shot shot itself in the foot.

17CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 13:57

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

chunckylover53 wrote:The sick thing is this isen't even a one time pay kinda deal it's yearly.

Did you think you would pay $50 once and then get all the content for every CoD game made after that until the end of time? You also don't have to maintain a subscription to use your DLC.
Maps and other content downloaded via one's premium Elite subscription will still be yours even if you let your premium membership lapse, the company said. Players won't be required to maintain an ongoing paid subscription (a la Sony's PlayStation Plus) to access their digital goods downloaded through Elite.

$50 gives you access to all content and DLC for CoD for a full year. You get access to a bunch of social networking/competition/clan stuff that I don't care about in the least.

But that $50 gives you all CoD DLC for that year for less than you can buy it individually for. You also get maps/dlc monthly instead of once every 3 months.

So you get all the DLC for less money than you would normally pay and you get it far earlier, plus access to all the other non-game related weirdness. For the people that would normally buy all the DLC anyway this is actually a pretty damn good deal.

18CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 14:06

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

I don't know, man. Saving 10 dollars in overpriced DLC sounds kinda dumb.

Instead of being ripped-off with 60 dollars of content, you are ripped-off slightly less with 50. I mean, I paid 20 dollars for like, 20 MP maps in Gears 2 and an extra campaign chapter.

I'm used to user generated content, that doesn't cost a thing and is more often than not, better than the original content, except maybe campaign wise. But then again, that was only for the PC.

19CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 14:11

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Ars Diaboli wrote:I don't know, man. Saving 10 dollars in overpriced DLC sounds kinda dumb.

Instead of being ripped-off with 60 dollars of content, you are ripped-off slightly less with 50. I mean, I paid 20 dollars for like, 20 MP maps in Gears 2 and an extra campaign chapter.

I hear you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the price is good for this. I'm just saying that in relation to what you would normally pay anyway for CoD DLC it's a decent value. Then throw in the early access to it all, plus all the filler and it becomes a good value for those that would probably buy it all anyway.

That's all.

20CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 14:12

chunckylover53

Metalzoic wrote:

Did you think you would pay $50 once and then get all the content for every CoD game made after that until the end of time? You also don't have to maintain a subscription to use your DLC.
Maps and other content downloaded via one's premium Elite subscription will still be yours even if you let your premium membership lapse, the company said. Players won't be required to maintain an ongoing paid subscription (a la Sony's PlayStation Plus) to access their digital goods downloaded through Elite.

$50 gives you access to all content and DLC for CoD for a full year. You get access to a bunch of social networking/competition/clan stuff that I don't care about in the least.

But that $50 gives you all CoD DLC for that year for less than you can buy it individually for. You also get maps/dlc monthly instead of once every 3 months.

So you get all the DLC for less money than you would normally pay and you get it far earlier, plus access to all the other non-game related weirdness. For the people that would normally buy all the DLC anyway this is actually a pretty damn good deal.

Why not? $50 is pretty much like buying another copy of the game.

21CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 14:18

Zillah

Zillah

The game's already just like an MW2 expansion pack.

22CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 15:14

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

chunckylover53 wrote:Why not? $50 is pretty much like buying another copy of the game.
scratch That's irrelevant because it's still less than buying that years worth of content individually.

You guys are acting like this is some brand new evil video-game empire DLC business scam that no one has ever seen before. It's not. This is nothing new or exciting. This is nothing special. It's simply another option.

Don't buy any DLC OR you can buy DLC you want individually OR you can buy a discounted bundle of DLC with a bunch of extras and perks thrown in.

That's fucking all it is.

This "bundled/pre-paid discount" business model has been around forever.
Jiffy Lube does it. Coffee shops do it. Tanning salons. Rental stores. Costco. Grocery stores. Mechanics. Book clubs. Music clubs. Online shops. Telecom, Landscapers, insurance... on and on and on.

Will I be buying it? Probably not since I didn't buy any DLC for the last 2 CoD games because I had moved on to new games. However if it turns out that I really like this new one and continue playing it then I'll consider it.

Last edited by Metalzoic on 2011-09-03, 15:43; edited 2 times in total

23CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 15:18

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Zillah wrote:The game's already just like an MW2 expansion pack.

That's exactly what I thought it was going to be until I actually saw all this info.

They've made a ton of changes to the game, more than any other CoD title has and more changes than most sequels ever see.

I like most of what I'm seeing, but there's still some stuff that worries me. Who knows? We won't know if its any good till we play it.

24CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 15:40

Ante

Ante

People bash CoD on the basis that it's CoD Metal. Hell, even I do it sometimes. MW3 could actually turn out to be a fantastic game and people will still rail on it because it's CoD.

Me? I like options. Two great shooters with two different playstyles sounds twice as good as one shooter. I'll be playing both MW3 and BF3.

25CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 15:56

chunckylover53

Metalzoic wrote:
chunckylover53 wrote:Why not? $50 is pretty much like buying another copy of the game.
scratch
This "bundled/pre-paid discount" business model has been around forever.
Jiffy Lube does it. Coffee shops do it. Tanning salons. Rental stores. Costco. Grocery stores. Mechanics. Book clubs. Music clubs. Online shops. Telecom, Landscapers, insurance... on and on and on.

Joke? The gameing industry is different from all of them. Why do they even have $50+ worth of DLC already planned? I could understand if maybe it was 25-30 but to have that much planned already is super suspicious.

26CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 15:58

Ante

Ante

4 map packs is suspicious?

27CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:00

chunckylover53

Since it'll probably be rehased maps yeah.

28CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:01

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

have they said what DLC they have planned?

29CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:06

Ante

Ante

chunckylover53 wrote:Since it'll probably be rehased maps yeah.

Then don't buy them.

>_>

30CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:07

chunckylover53

I don't plan on buying them i don't even play COD but you miss the point.

31CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:09

Ante

Ante

chunckylover53 wrote:I don't plan on buying them i don't even play COD but you miss the point.

If they're good maps, it's worth it to me? I'd love to see Highrise, Quarry, and Skidrow make a comeback in MW3 and I'd pay for them.

What point am I missing exactly? Why do you even care if you don't play CoD?

32CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:11

chunckylover53

Vinyl Scratch wrote:
chunckylover53 wrote:I don't plan on buying them i don't even play COD but you miss the point.

If they're good maps, it's worth it to me? I'd love to see Highrise, Quarry, and Skidrow make a comeback in MW3 and I'd pay for them.

What point am I missing exactly? Why do you even care if you don't play CoD?

I care because something like this is a disease that'll spread to other companies. You're ignoreing the fact that they already have $50+ worth of DLC planned which is my point.

33CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:14

Ante

Ante

Wait, so you'd rather they wing it with the DLC? Just because they have the DLC planned doesn't mean they've already got maps and missions laid out. It means they know how much content they want to put out in a certain timeframe. With your logic, you should be LIVID at Dice for already having their first expansion for BF3 announced and somewhat detailed.

34CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:20

chunckylover53

Vinyl Scratch wrote:Wait, so you'd rather they wing it with the DLC? Just because they have the DLC planned doesn't mean they've already got maps and missions laid out. It means they know how much content they want to put out in a certain timeframe. With your logic, you should be LIVID at Dice for already having their first expansion for BF3 announced and somewhat detailed.

Well there's really no way of knowing that unless you work on the inside. And that's a pre-order bonus so that's a whole different story.

35CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:27

Ante

Ante

chunckylover53 wrote:
Well there's really no way of knowing that unless you work on the inside.

That goes both ways, dude. Not just your side of the argument.

And that's a pre-order bonus so that's a whole different story.

And it's still going to cost money for those who didn't/don't preorder.

36CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:28

Chewy

Chewy

I just think it's funny because not many would pay $110 for a game just because it has a lot of maps. But plenty of people will do it if they have to wait for some of them later.

37CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:30

chunckylover53

Vinyl Scratch wrote:
chunckylover53 wrote:

I never said i knew it myself.

And of course it will like most pre-order bonuses.

38CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:32

Ante

Ante

chunckylover53 wrote:
Vinyl Scratch wrote:
chunckylover53 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

39CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:36

chunckylover53

Vinyl Scratch wrote:
chunckylover53 wrote:
Vinyl Scratch wrote:
chunckylover53 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

...And?

40CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:36

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Dunno, but I'm not really one to support this business model. I won't be surprised when CoD's map packs cost 20 dollars each, and other companies follow their steps seeing the amazing profits.

I'm already suspicious and paranoid with Gears' season pass as it is. If they go Activision's way, I would be pretty much done with Epic too, and EA is pushing some buttons at times too.

If all goes to hell, I'll end up playing that Red Orchestra franchise for my shooter fix.

41CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 16:39

Ante

Ante

chunckylover53 wrote:...And?

And this argument is pointless.

42CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 17:07

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

chunckylover53 wrote:Joke? The gameing industry is different from all of them.

Irrelevant because the industries I listed are also all different from each other and they also use a similar business model. That was actually my point.

chunckylover53 wrote:Why do they even have $50+ worth of DLC already planned? I could understand if maybe it was 25-30 but to have that much planned already is super suspicious.
Suspicious? That's the business model they've been running for the franchise for years now, nothing new at all. The demand is already there.

chunckylover53 wrote:I care because something like this is a disease that'll spread to other companies. You're ignoreing the fact that they already have $50+ worth of DLC planned which is my point.
This is like saying "I don't even use Geico insurance, but it pisses me off that they offer a discount plus priority claim adjustment if you pay for a year up-front! What if other insurance companies start doing this too!"

It seems to me that you're actually talking about DLC, its pricing and its effect on the industry which is actually a different subject then what I was talking about. I was simply pointing out what this particular CoD bundle actually is.

43CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 17:22

chunckylover53

Metalzoic wrote:
chunckylover53 wrote:Joke? The gameing industry is different from all of them.

Irrelevant because the industries I listed are also all different from each other and they also use a similar business model. That was actually my point.

chunckylover53 wrote:Why do they even have $50+ worth of DLC already planned? I could understand if maybe it was 25-30 but to have that much planned already is super suspicious.
Suspicious? That's the business model they've been running for the franchise for years now, nothing new at all. The demand is already there.

chunckylover53 wrote:I care because something like this is a disease that'll spread to other companies. You're ignoreing the fact that they already have $50+ worth of DLC planned which is my point.
This is like saying "I don't even use Geico insurance, but it pisses me off that they offer a discount plus priority claim adjustment if you pay for a year up-front! What if other insurance companies start doing this too!"

It seems to me that you're actually talking about DLC, its pricing and its effect on the industry which is actually a different subject then what I was talking about. I was simply pointing out what this particular CoD bundle actually is.

Eh some of the stuff you said doesn't even make sense. Pretty much people will pay for overpriced DLC no matter where it's from it looks like.

44CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 17:45

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Eh some of the stuff you said doesn't even make sense.

How so?

Pretty much people will pay for overpriced DLC no matter where it's from it looks like.
Not sure what you meant by "no matter where it's from".

Whether or not you feel something is overpriced is a personal judgement based on the value you see in it.
But If millions of people line up to buy it anyway, then it's hard to argue that it is overpriced in a real world business sense.

From the article
(Call of Duty: Black Ops players have purchased more than 18 million map packs since the game's launch last November.)

45CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 18:10

chunckylover53

It means DLC is just going to get more expensive as time goes on and COD is one of the main reasons why it will.

46CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 18:14

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

As much as I'd like to blame Activision, people buying overpriced DLC when there are thousands of other games out there, are to blame. Activison just knows that they can charge whatever they please, and it will sell.

47CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 19:08

TheGM

TheGM

So they will have $50 worth of stuff that has been priced at $15 even though stuff with the same amount of content was priced at $10 before.

What A DEAL!!! DERP DERP DERP!

48CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 20:18

Ante

Ante

It's obviously the Illuminati's fault. Guiding DLC prices with an invisible hand... Rolling Eyes

If me buying "overpriced" DLC drives up prices, good! Send it to the moon!

49CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 21:25

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

-___- unless a game comes with free dlc for buying it new or somethin I'm done with it.Just don't have the money and at the end of the day dlc very rarely adds anything good to the game,the only example I can think of is all the Fallout 3 DLC's...Borderland's were alright.It was great getting free maps with Bad Company 2,although it wasn't really DLC,that shit was on the disc anyway.

One that that makes me more mad than over priced DLC is companies charging for bullshit already on the disc like back when Resident Evil 5 versus mode or Bad Company 2.But I was good on that since I bought Bad Company 2

Man oh man I hate goin to gamestop,they do nothin but try to shove used games and their cheesy game informer magazine and card down your throat....

50CoD Elite = $50 Empty Re: CoD Elite = $50 2011-09-03, 22:09

Gary Effin' Oak.

Gary Effin' Oak.

If I like MW3, ill think about it. If its good, then fine ill get it...if not I wont. Simple. Everyone and the gloom and doom is ridiculous.

CoD is about money at the end of they day and they make it and will continue to do so with or with your/mine/our money.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum