Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Windows 8 Will Not Support DVD Playback Natively, A Paid Upgrade Will Be Required To Do So

+4
Ars Diaboli
JrTapia1991
asdf
Dropped Da Soap
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Dropped Da Soap

Dropped Da Soap

http://www.redmondpie.com/windows-8-will-not-support-dvd-playback-natively-a-paid-upgrade-will-be-required-to-do-so/

asdf

asdf

Nope. Sticking with windows 7. If Metro wasn't enough reason to hate it.

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

kill it before it lays eggs

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Wut ...

JrTapia1991 wrote:kill it before it lays eggs

The reasoning behind this is is that microsoft found that only 6% of windows 7 users who used media center used it to watch dvd's. Still sucks but you will be able to use your media player of choice to watch dvd's (which most already do).

asdf

asdf

This is really just another nail in the coffin for me.

As soon as I saw "Metro" and "No Start button on desktop"

Windows 8 Will Not Support DVD Playback Natively, A Paid Upgrade Will Be Required To Do So  9CsV8rZm3G

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

Wait,...

Hold the phone...

People use Windows Media Player?

Pariah

Pariah

ThePeavstenator wrote:Nope. Sticking with windows 7. If Metro wasn't enough reason to hate it.
Didn't you say you're planning on switching to a linux os?

Rectal Tenesmus wrote:Wait,...

Hold the phone...

People use Windows Media Player?
Surprise surprise.

Chewy

Chewy

I didn't even know Windows 7 did. I always used VLC.

asdf

asdf

Pariah wrote:
ThePeavstenator wrote:Nope. Sticking with windows 7. If Metro wasn't enough reason to hate it.

If Windows 9 is just as bad. Windows 7 has a few more years before its obsolete.

Chewy

Chewy

ThePeavstenator wrote:
Pariah wrote:

If Windows 9 is just as bad. Windows 7 has a few more years before its obsolete.

I can't see Linux getting all that better with the direction it's going though. The newest version of Ubuntu sucks, and the versions before are alright but not as good as Windows 7 IMO. Yeah there's plenty of other distros but you're not going to get a lot of support with them.

Pariah

Pariah

ThePeavstenator wrote:
Pariah wrote:

Actually...I couldn't agree more. I seem to have a bit of luck with Windows, I've never had any problems with it. Never had Vista crash on me, Windows 7 Ultimate has been a dream. Honestly, I'll probably try out Windows 8 when my dad tries it out on one of our backup PCs, but I'm probably not gonna take to it

VictimOfNada

Pariah wrote:
ThePeavstenator wrote:
Pariah wrote:

Actually...I couldn't agree more. I seem to have a bit of luck with Windows, I've never had any problems with it. Never had Vista crash on me, Windows 7 Ultimate has been a dream. Honestly, I'll probably try out Windows 8 when my dad tries it out on one of our backup PCs, but I'm probably not gonna take to it

I agree. Windows has been real nice to me over the years. I always felt like Linux was the option that pretentious college students went with to be "unique" and "stick it to the man." I know there are benefits to Linux. I've used Linux. Hell, one of the computers in my house has Linux (can't remember which version) on it. I prefer the ease of use/familiarity of Windows no matter how evil it might be.

Pariah

Pariah

VictimOfNada wrote:
Pariah wrote:
ThePeavstenator wrote:
Pariah wrote:

I agree. Windows has been real nice to me over the years. I always felt like Linux was the option that pretentious college students went with to be "unique" and "stick it to the man." I know there are benefits to Linux. I've used Linux. Hell, one of the computers in my house has Linux (can't remember which version) on it. I prefer the ease of use/familiarity of Windows no matter how evil it might be.

To be perfectly honest, I've never run anything but windows on my personal machines, and I think the last time it crashed was when I used Windows XP. Mostly because I tried to do something in a game that completely and utterly fucked up Java, crashed the game and then my pc. Since I went to Vista, I've never had an issue, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the design of windows.

VictimOfNada

Pariah wrote:
VictimOfNada wrote:
Pariah wrote:
ThePeavstenator wrote:
Pariah wrote:

To be perfectly honest, I've never run anything but windows on my personal machines, and I think the last time it crashed was when I used Windows XP. Mostly because I tried to do something in a game that completely and utterly fucked up Java, crashed the game and then my pc. Since I went to Vista, I've never had an issue, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the design of windows.

Same here. The only problem I ever had with Windows was with Vista (go figure) and I had to do some work on my uncle's GateWay that had Windows ME on it (that one was just junk right out of the gate. God damn.).

Pariah

Pariah

VictimOfNada wrote:
Same here. The only problem I ever had with Windows was with Vista (go figure) and I had to do some work on my uncle's GateWay that had Windows ME on it (that one was just junk right out of the gate. God damn.).
Honestly, I don't get why people bash Vista. It ran perfectly fine for me, no crashing, no errors. I loved it.

Never used Windows ME though.

Chewy

Chewy

Pariah wrote:
VictimOfNada wrote:
Honestly, I don't get why people bash Vista. It ran perfectly fine for me, no crashing, no errors. I loved it.

Never used Windows ME though.

You got lucky I guess.

Even if you don't count the bugs, its performance is absolutely terrible. I was astounded how fast my computer could actually run when I installed an Ubuntu partition aside it.

Windows 7 and Ubuntu seem to be on par for me, but Ubuntu is still statistically better at a lot of things. Don't really notice in every day use though.

Pariah

Pariah

Chewy wrote:

You got lucky I guess.

Even if you don't count the bugs, its performance is absolutely terrible. I was astounded how fast my computer could actually run when I installed an Ubuntu partition aside it.

Windows 7 and Ubuntu seem to be on par for me, but Ubuntu is still statistically better at a lot of things. Don't really notice in every day use though.
Call me an idiot, but I've never really considered Linux for an OS. What exactly makes it better? And yeah, I probably did. I'm not going to go "stalwart defender" for Microsoft, I'm just saying that in my own experience, it's never failed me.

Chewy

Chewy

Pariah wrote:
Chewy wrote:

You got lucky I guess.

Call me an idiot, but I've never really considered Linux for an OS. What exactly makes it better? And yeah, I probably did. I'm not going to go "stalwart defender" for Microsoft, I'm just saying that in my own experience, it's never failed me.

For one it's faster in many ways, but Windows 7 is still pretty fast so this isn't really noticeable anymore. The time between logging on and a usable desktop is definitely noticeable though.

It's also free of viruses, which means you don't have to waste memory and processing running a virus scanner.

Much more customizable as well, and it's open source which means anyone can enhance it and share that with people.

And to top it all off it's free. Not really a big deal except for upgrading your OS since most computers come with the latest Windows OS, but it's always nice for things to be free.

This of course comes at the cost of the lack of professional support(gotta rely on searching through and posting on forums for help), driver support not being as good, and other compatibility issues since most people design stuff for Windows.

VictimOfNada

Chewy wrote:
Pariah wrote:
Chewy wrote:

You got lucky I guess.

For one it's faster in many ways, but Windows 7 is still pretty fast so this isn't really noticeable anymore. The time between logging on and a usable desktop is definitely noticeable though.

It's also free of viruses, which means you don't have to waste memory and processing running a virus scanner.

Much more customizable as well, and it's open source which means anyone can enhance it and share that with people.

And to top it all off it's free. Not really a big deal except for upgrading your OS since most computers come with the latest Windows OS, but it's always nice for things to be free.

This of course comes at the cost of the lack of professional support(gotta rely on searching through and posting on forums for help), driver support not being as good, and other compatibility issues since most people design stuff for Windows.

As I understand it, Linux systems are virus free simply because not many people/businesses use Linux so no one bothers making/distributing viruses for it. It is, after all, basically a program which makes it just as vulnerable.
Linux does make better use of resources for sure.
Compatibility issues were what turned me off of it.

Chewy

Chewy

VictimOfNada wrote:
As I understand it, Linux systems are virus free simply because not many people use Linux so no one bothers making/distributing viruses for it. It is, after all, basically a program which makes it just as vulnerable.
Linux does make better use of resources for sure.
Compatibility issues were what turned me off of it.

It's also free of viruses because it's open source. Everyone can see the source behind it, so any security problems get patched up quicker than they can be exploited. There are a lot more benevolent than malicious developers out there, believe it or not, so this works out very good for it.

Whereas with Windows, only the bad guys and Windows employees can discover these problems.

Compatibility issues are becoming less of a problem with the increase of Ubuntu's popularity, but yeah they're still a problem, especially if you're trying to do gaming, and a very valid reason to stay away from it.

But another benefit of Linux is there is a huge ass software repository that has tons of awesome free software. Whenever I need to do something random I can just search it and it usually has it.

VictimOfNada

I know it's getting better. It was thegaming that turned me off of Linux but I don't do that so much anymore so... I am not trying to say Linux is bad, just that Windows is... nicer to the average user.

VictimOfNada

Also, thanks for the feedback on that Chewy. I know I don't need to say it but I am used to combative responses thanks to GFaqs.

Pariah

Pariah

VictimOfNada wrote:nicer to the average user.
summary of my own argument^^

as much as I might love computers and am good with them, I still consider myself pretty average. I game through Steam, play Minecraft, browse the web and do school projects on my PC. I don't have to do anything so intense that its necessary, and I don't really go on super-sketchy sites. I don't need something I can adjust constantly on the fly, and I've never really had a huge interest in open-source. I love my PC, and I don't really need anything better than Windows 7. Chewy, thanks so much for the info, and if I ever decide to go to Linux...I think I'll be begging for your help Razz

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I never really got all the hate for Vista either man,I actually really liked how the start menu looked on vista....is there a way to get the vista start menu on Win7?haha I'd have a nerd gasm XD

didn't care so much for the desktop "quick launch" thing at the top of the screen in vista but that was my only gripe with it.I thought it was a real improvement over XP in being user friendly.My god it was so convoluted to enable hidden folders on XP I had to google it...it was easy as hell on Vista and Win7.

I know I heard Vista was a memory hog concerning RAM when it came out,but I heard the service packs really helped it....yeah I agree I don't care for Microsoft much,mostly due to all the xbox problems I had,but,Windows is cool for the average user

ah,yeah just use VLC Razz

I heard Win8 is even faster than 7....I don't know how,maybe they turned off some of the cheesy background processes like constantly searching the HDD for stuff....Through google,I turned off a bunch of unnecessary processes in Win7 and it helped speed stuff up quite a bit and quit makin my laptop crash while browsing the web

had to turn off Superfetch and svchost.exe among some other things,also turned off indexing

Linux is great for a lot of things, but for me personally I would never switch from windows until linux actually has the games I play and the software I use.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum