Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

So im in a dilemma. I am getting 45 hours a week at work with 9 bucks an hour. Should I save for a PC?

+4
StormEye
Zillah
chunckylover53
Dropped Da Soap
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Dropped Da Soap

Dropped Da Soap

I mean, I know I want a Pc for SP games like Fallout or Skyrim, so I am kinda on the fence about MP games.

If I didn't care for MP games like BF3 but games like TF2 or something. How much would I look at spending to get a comp that runs games like Fallout at max?

I am honestly not sure if I want to leave console gaming behind just because of all my friends in real life that I play with. But if im working 45 hours a week till the guy im covering for is back from surgery in Jan, I should start saving up right?

chunckylover53

You should be saving up anyways.. Cmon your America is showing.

Zillah

Zillah

you'd only have to save 3 weeks of pay to get a good PC, so I dont see why not

Its a big leap thats for sure.

Its not for everybody, but a high end PC can do so much more than any console. And Im not even talking about gaming.

Dropped Da Soap

Dropped Da Soap

How much would I be expecting it to cost me? Like if I save 600-700 bucks how good of a computer you think that will get me?

And is it cheaper to build my own(even if I have no knowledge on how to)or buy a prebuilt one?

Never go for a pre built

If you don't want to build use a site like ecollegepc.com( Its what Chewy did )

I would shoot for a grand if you CAN. But you could get a decent rig for 700. Assuming thats just for the rig, and not monitor costs and whatnot.

StormEye

StormEye

With expenses and stuff put into mind, I guess that leaves around $1000 for you in the end of 3 weeks (if you have no prior saving/assets to rely on then it would be less).

Mid-range can be achieved with that budget, maybe high'ish.

Just don't know what your exact financial situation is, so its hard to judge the budget you will have eventually, or how much you are willing to dish out.

Of course, with the fact that you got this job until next year, you can collect significant amount by that time if you minimize your expenses.

$600~700 will get you something low~mid'ish PC (modern standard).

I have a different stance compared to others in SeC, as I have nothing really against pre-built/built-for-order. Maybe not pre-built, but built-for-order is more than fine, if you have no idea what you are doing and are willing to dish out more cash (+10%'ish).

Dropped Da Soap

Dropped Da Soap

Yeah I do have other financial responsibilities, so three weeks is a bit too short for me. I was thinking of setting aside a solid 75 a week for about three months.

StormEye wrote:

I have a different stance compared to others in SeC, as I have nothing really against pre-built/built-for-order. Maybe not pre-built, but built-for-order is more than fine, if you have no idea what you are doing and are willing to dish out more cash (+10%'ish).

Yea I agree with this. Pre built are crap, but built to order you can get a good deal. EcollegePC.com is the best in the biz right now from my experience.

Dropped Da Soap

Dropped Da Soap

Also yeah the 700 would be for the rig itself. Not for any keyboards, cords or the monitor.

I do have a fairly nice 19inch monitor I use for my 360 that I think would be more then capable of working on a computer.

StormEye

StormEye

You can even use your TV as display, if you want.

Most PCs have DVI or HDMI these days, and vid cards always have DVI along with HDMI/display-port which can connect with TV (display-port needs an HDMI adapter in most cases).

How much are you willing to spend on your input devices? Its pretty essential to invest a decent amount into your mouse. Keyboard can be ignored almost entirely, some pro gamers use factory provided keyboards that cost $3.

Dropped Da Soap

Dropped Da Soap

@Sym
Ummm....cant remember.

All I know was I got it on sale for like 50 bucks last year(originally marked at 250), but an HDMI cable and hooked my Xbox to it.

SO I have no damn clue. But buying a new one isn't out of the picture.

And Storm I was just planning on getting the keyboard and mouse after. I knew you could basically use any keyboard, but I have no knowledge on good mouses.

Dropped Da Soap

Dropped Da Soap

Also whats the difference in playing online on a PC compared to an Xbox?

Like we used to pay for 25 mgbs, but due to financial reasons we had to drop that to 3. If no one else is on the internet(which its mainly just me)I can play online fine.

But how drastically would that change on PC?

MEGA MILK

MEGA MILK

StormEye wrote:You can even use your TV as display, if you want.

Most PCs have DVI or HDMI these days, and vid cards always have DVI along with HDMI/display-port which can connect with TV (display-port needs an HDMI adapter in most cases).

How much are you willing to spend on your input devices? Its pretty essential to invest a decent amount into your mouse. Keyboard can be ignored almost entirely, some pro gamers use factory provided keyboards that cost $3.

Funny story, my mom was somehow able to get the hospital she works for to buy two of these for her, one for the office and one for when she works at home.

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-RZ03-00070100-R2M1-Tarantula-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B000I20IHA

Online play as far as lag is concerned is the same from my experience.

Soap right click on your desktop and click on resolution

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

Join the revolution! Twisted Evil

StormEye

StormEye

MEGA MILK wrote:
StormEye wrote:You can even use your TV as display, if you want.

Funny story, my mom was somehow able to get the hospital she works for to buy two of these for her, one for the office and one for when she works at home.

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-RZ03-00070100-R2M1-Tarantula-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B000I20IHA

So im in a dilemma. I am getting 45 hours a week at work with 9 bucks an hour. Should I save for a PC? 0301852812-13-51-1

Dropped Da Soap

Dropped Da Soap

Mr. Lundegaard wrote:Soap right click on your desktop and click on resolution

On a laptop bro. Dont even own a desktop

StormEye

StormEye

Connect your laptop to your monitor.

Its important to know the native resolution of your monitor. I would highly recommend getting a 1080 monitor if you dont have one. You should try to find out though.

StormEye

StormEye

Most likely 19 inch will either be

1280 x 1024
or
1366 x 768

StormEye

StormEye

Mr. Lundegaard wrote:I really want a 120 HZ monitor....

No you don't...

DARN YOU SYM!!!!!

So im in a dilemma. I am getting 45 hours a week at work with 9 bucks an hour. Should I save for a PC? 194DA20C4A082266C4B5A3

Ante

Ante

120Hz monitors make me nauseous.

Ante wrote:120Hz monitors make me nauseous.

Really?

I wonder why....

I have very good eyes so I can tell the difference in high frame rates. I would love to have a monitor capable of that.

StormEye wrote:
Mr. Lundegaard wrote:I really want a 120 HZ monitor....

No you don't...

DARN YOU SYM!!!!!

So im in a dilemma. I am getting 45 hours a week at work with 9 bucks an hour. Should I save for a PC? 194DA20C4A082266C4B5A3

Haha not my fault this time!

MEGA MILK

MEGA MILK

I don't even know what 120Hz means.

So im in a dilemma. I am getting 45 hours a week at work with 9 bucks an hour. Should I save for a PC? G4gFe

Ante

Ante

Mr. Lundegaard wrote:

Really?

I wonder why....

I have very good eyes so I can tell the difference in high frame rates. I would love to have a monitor capable of that.

I'm not sure, but I get horrible motion sickness when I'm looking at one. It's weird because in any other situation I never have issues with motion sickness.

StormEye

StormEye

Chewy and Hydra are not helping me on the sound card, and now monitor...

MEGA MILK wrote:I don't even know what 120Hz means.

So im in a dilemma. I am getting 45 hours a week at work with 9 bucks an hour. Should I save for a PC? G4gFe

In a nutshell- high HZ monitors allow for higher FPS to be seen by the eye. Most monitors are 60 HZ. Which means the max output is 60 FPS. Even if your rig is pushing well beyond that, your eye cannot see more than 60 on a 60 HZ monitor. AA 120 HZ monitor is capable of displaying frame rates over 60.

Mr. Lundegaard wrote:

Really?

I wonder why....

Honestly I just want a really good IPS monitor. 120Hz would be nice, but I think I would enjoy the extra resolution and color accuracy a lot more.

Mr. Lundegaard wrote:

In a nutshell- high HZ monitors allow for higher FPS to be seen by the eye. Most monitors are 60 HZ. Which means the max output is 60 FPS. Even if your rig is pushing well beyond that, your eye cannot see more than 60 on a 60 HZ monitor. AA 120 HZ monitor is capable of displaying frame rates over 60.

or 3D, which is actually pretty good from what I have tested out.

MEGA MILK

MEGA MILK

Tom wrote:
Mr. Lundegaard wrote:

or 3D, which is actually pretty good from what I have tested out.

Ah, neat.

You should get one Storm.

Ive never tried 3D on PC. I wonder how good it is....

StormEye

StormEye

Technically our eyes are out of sync with any display that we see, as no eye operates at a certain steady frequency.

On top of that, the visuals that we perceive are the data that is filtered through our eye and further processed by the brain. High fps on displays can result in eye/brain to process in a more continuous stream compared to lower fps. This probably causes nauseating feeling for quite a lot of people.

This also has to do with the fact that people are not used to higher fps displays, and the eyes have grown up with 24/28/30/60 fps.

3D requires a lot of vid card power, and drops performance immensely, as you are essentially rendering image twice.

Yea SLI would be a must. 3D would really only be cool with three monitors.

What a setup that would be

chunckylover53

Same however i do get motion sickness pretty bad on long car rides... Try my best not to look out the window.

StormEye

StormEye

I would rather have constant 60+fps with ALL things maxed out, rather than 3D vision that only averages at 55~60ish with graphics turned down. You also have to remember that many games don't really work well with 3D.

As a gamer, its more of a wow its cool, but not useful, type of deal.

Oh I agree.

Its a novelty

One that can be cool for a little bit, granted.

But I have a feeling it would wear off fast. It did with the 3DS to me.

StormEye

StormEye

3DS sucks...

I never really thought it would suck this much...

It does not have the performance capable of producing decent 3D graphics without significant frame drop.

Only Nintendo made games work OK with 3D without much frame drop...

Chewy

Chewy

Yeah I think 3D is just a gimmick, I really would prefer not having it. Gives me a headache after a while.

Hz just means something's per second. So in the context of refresh rate it means the monitor refreshes itself 120 times every second. Meaning you can get up to 120 FPS since you can load a frame up on every refresh.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum