1Creepy pic I saw Empty Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-10, 21:57

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

Creepy pic I saw 521570_346385215473667_1411225485_n

it's the zerg swarm

2Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-10, 23:09

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

The fuck? Is this real? Her tumor is still alive and they keep it in a lab somewhere like a piece of the blob? How do we know her soul isn't trapped inside it?

3Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-10, 23:23

Pariah

Pariah

Yeah, her tumor is composed of a very rare mutated type of cells called HeLa cells (after her actually, HEnrietta LAcks) that were discovered in her body while she was alive. The ownership and recompense to her family are a huge legal issue, since basically every medical research and pharmaceutical company uses or would need to use HeLa cells, and her family was never paid for the use or extraction of them.

Her cells are also one of the main areas of research into cell-immortality, with the idea that "if we can replicate this and control it, we can basically end aging"

4Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-10, 23:31

menacinglemon

menacinglemon

i hope immortality (no-aging) never happens

5Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-10, 23:47

Pariah

Pariah

menacinglemon wrote:i hope immortality (no-aging) never happens

I'd love to be immortal, fuck dying. That's some depressing shit.

Oh, and a benefit of the cell-immortality idea would be perfect healing. Any injury could be fixed. Think stem cells times 12 billion.

6Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-10, 23:47

chunckylover53

Pariah wrote:Yeah, her tumor is composed of a very rare mutated type of cells called HeLa cells (after her actually, HEnrietta LAcks) that were discovered in her body while she was alive. The ownership and recompense to her family are a huge legal issue, since basically every medical research and pharmaceutical company uses or would need to use HeLa cells, and her family was never paid for the use or extraction of them.

Her cells are also one of the main areas of research into cell-immortality, with the idea that "if we can replicate this and control it, we can basically end aging"

How could i have never heard of this..? That's pretty weird...

7Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-10, 23:55

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

we're already overpopulated. if we weren't the dominate species on earth, there would prob be bi-annual hunting seasons.

can you imagine a 7 billion strong immortal populous popping out an experiential amount of immortal offspring?

8Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-11, 00:00

chunckylover53

Epyk MD wrote:we're already overpopulated. if we weren't the dominate species on earth, there would prob be bi-annual hunting seasons.

can you imagine a 7 billion strong immortal populous popping out an experiential amount of immortal offspring?

I think only select few would be kept and not everyone.

9Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-11, 00:07

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

i like the idea of immortal republicans even less.

Creepy pic I saw Tumblr_m7ct81N6KR1raajdlo1_500

10Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-11, 00:14

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Insane that I've never heard of this.
I want immortality dammit! Give me some of that tumor... I'll eat some to see what happens.

Overpopulation wouldn't be a problem. We'll just ship them off in huge space ships and start spreading to other solar systems.

11Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-11, 00:17

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

honestly, it seems near immortality is muuuuuch closer than interstellar travel.

dem nano bots bro.

12Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-11, 00:36

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I had never heard of it either,you'd think we would of heard about something like this >__>

13Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-11, 05:34

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

if immortality became a thing, colonisation would be a lot easier. you wouldn't need FTL or Generation Ships, just point them at a planet and wait for them to get there. ageing isnt an issue if they're immortal Razz

14Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-12, 00:46

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

The Adli Corporation wrote:if immortality became a thing, colonisation would be a lot easier. you wouldn't need FTL or Generation Ships, just point them at a planet and wait for them to get there. ageing isnt an issue if they're immortal Razz

That was exactly my point.

15Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-12, 00:47

Khfan60

Khfan60

Metalzoic wrote:
The Adli Corporation wrote:if immortality became a thing, colonisation would be a lot easier. you wouldn't need FTL or Generation Ships, just point them at a planet and wait for them to get there. ageing isnt an issue if they're immortal Razz

You'd still need cryogenic sleep or some shit. Just imagine being in a tiny shuttle for years on end.

16Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-12, 00:59

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Nah, no tiny shuttle.
A generation-ship sized vessel.
Use the old Nickel-iron core asteroid what-laser-steam inflating trick. Stock it with renewable resources and a shopping mall and launch the damn thing.

Then 2000 years later watch the immortal, insane, cannibal zombie-like survivors land on a new world.

17Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-12, 01:28

Pariah

Pariah

Khfan60 wrote:
Metalzoic wrote:

You'd still need cryogenic sleep or some shit. Just imagine being in a tiny shuttle for years on end.
Don't send normal people. Send scientists, frontiersmen, adventurers. Stock the ship with digital copies of every single book and scientific thing possible. Let them study on the way. Come out smarter, better, stronger.

18Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-12, 18:04

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

if immortality ever became a thing you'd better believe they would monetize the shit out of it. Nobody is gonna give that shit out for free to any tom dick and harry that comes along. It'll be for rich people and world leaders and other privileged people.

19Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-12, 19:18

Pariah

Pariah

HydrasBreath wrote:if immortality ever became a thing you'd better believe they would monetize the shit out of it. Nobody is gonna give that shit out for free to any tom dick and harry that comes along. It'll be for rich people and world leaders and other privileged people.

until we as a society realize that it exists, get frothing at the mouth and break and murder those hiding it. It's not a question, we would fight for it.

20Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-12, 21:05

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

Pariah wrote:
HydrasBreath wrote:if immortality ever became a thing you'd better believe they would monetize the shit out of it. Nobody is gonna give that shit out for free to any tom dick and harry that comes along. It'll be for rich people and world leaders and other privileged people.

until we as a society realize that it exists, get frothing at the mouth and break and murder those hiding it. It's not a question, we would fight for it.

I don't know...I think the general populace is too complacent for a major revolution of any kind.

21Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-12, 21:15

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

HydrasBreath wrote:
Pariah wrote:

I don't know...I think the general populace is too complacent for a major revolution of any kind.

By Complacent you mean America is filled with Fat Fat fattys?

22Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-12, 21:56

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

Frostbyrn wrote:
HydrasBreath wrote:
Pariah wrote:

By Complacent you mean America is filled with Fat Fat fattys?

Sure, why not Very Happy

23Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-13, 00:18

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

I would straight up cold-bloodedly murder anybody for immortality.

24Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-13, 03:09

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Metalzoic wrote:I would straight up cold-bloodedly murder anybody for immortality.

what if you were caught and got life?

25Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-13, 03:11

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

We talking Invulnerable Immortality or The LoTR Elf kind were you dont age but can still be murdered and poisoned and stuff

26Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-13, 12:17

Pariah

Pariah

Frostbyrn wrote:We talking Invulnerable Immortality or The LoTR Elf kind were you dont age but can still be murdered and poisoned and stuff

LotR more than wolverine. The theory is that cellular aging can be halted, but thay you can still be influenced by everything.

27Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-13, 12:27

MEGA MILK

MEGA MILK

This means there's a chance I'll live long enough to see humanity begin exploring space.

Get hyped.

28Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-13, 13:12

Pariah

Pariah

MEGA MILK wrote:This means there's a chance I'll live long enough to see humanity begin exploring space.

Get hyped.

The most depressing statement I can think of:

There is a chance that humanity will eventually spread out among the stars and become immortal. But there is a 99.999% chance that you'll be dead by then.

29Creepy pic I saw Empty Re: Creepy pic I saw 2013-02-13, 13:19

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Pariah wrote:
MEGA MILK wrote:This means there's a chance I'll live long enough to see humanity begin exploring space.

Get hyped.

The most depressing statement I can think of:

There is a chance that humanity will eventually spread out among the stars and become immortal. But there is a 99.999% chance that they'll piss off a bunch of aliens or collapse into civil war before that

fix'd.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum