the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Think I need to re install my OS

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I got some nasty malware from a file I downloaded and my shit is fucked kinda. The only way to fix my issues seems to be a re install of windows.

So my question is this.....

My OS is on an SSD. What do I need to do with my SSD to reinstall?

Also since my OS is on the SSD, I wont lose any information on my HDD during the process would I? Like my music, files, steam saves, games etc?

Thanks in advance.

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

yea the hdd would be fine,on ssd,turn off defragment and make sure TRIM is on,and that's pretty much it. In mine I have samsung software that does it for me Razz make sure it's in ACHI mode when you go in the bios

WTF is TRIM and how do I do that?

I actually dont know much about SSD's....

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

Put your windows disk in (you can use a USB dongle too but you have to format the dongle a certain way) and go into the BIOS and choose boot from disk. Then the Windows install program should run then choose to do a fresh install. It'll reformat your drive for you.

And if I'm not mistaken windows 7 and later natively supports and recognizes SSDs so it'll turn on trim and stuff for you. I didn't have to do anything to set up my SSD.

Do you have to go into BIOS?

Ante

Ante

yes, to make sure it boots from disk (or whatever your OS is on) first

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

to make sure everything goes good,I unplug regular hdd when installing os to ssd, and just pres delete or whatever button it is to go into the bios when you turn computer on,and make sure ACHI is on and not IDE or whatever.TRIM should be on already,mine was. I looked up alot of stuff when I was getting mine Razz I'll be glad when 1tb ssds are like 100 Razz

edit:yea make sure it boots from disc/dvd drive,should be a boot load order if you have UEFI bios it's easy to use

So let me make sure I got this correct

Put WIndows DVD in, reboot into BIOS, install to C(ssd) from BIOS and thats it really right?

Thanks for the help. Ive never installed to an SSD before myself and dont wanna fuck anything up.

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

yeah pretty much Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum