We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

OK networking gurus

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1OK networking gurus Empty OK networking gurus 2013-11-20, 03:15

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

I picked up a new Nighthawk router today.
So how in the effing fucking fuck do I get things to connect to it on the 5ghz band instead of 2.4?

I can't even see the 5ghz band which is enabled and broadcasting as netgear68-5G. All any of our devices (phones, PS4, PC, tablets etc...) see is the netgear68 ssid (which is the 2.4 band)

Anyone know how this shit works?

2OK networking gurus Empty Re: OK networking gurus 2013-11-20, 03:26

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Couple of things here

Do all your devices have the capability to use 5Ghz?

Also why do you want to use 5Ghz? just because the number is higher does not make it better

3OK networking gurus Empty Re: OK networking gurus 2013-11-20, 03:30

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Googled the router because I am used to Cisco stuff and Linksys

This might help

PCMag wrote:QoS
A feature Netgear is highlighting in the Nighthawk is enhanced QoS. I tested it, and am happy to say that, in my testing, the QoS capability of this router isn't just hype. The QoS feature is excellent at optimizing video streaming.

Enabling QoS requires configuring a few settings in the interface. You can turn on WMM (Wi-Fi MultiMedia) for either the 2.4 or 5GHz signals (or both). WMM, is a feature that will give priority to multimedia data, such as video or audio streams.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426297,00.asp

4OK networking gurus Empty Re: OK networking gurus 2013-11-20, 03:34

StormEye

StormEye

5ghz interferes less with everyday household devices. This in itself already means that you should be using 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz.

Anyway, many routers don't come with 5ghz option activated right off the box. You probably have to go into router setting, and activate it. You also probably have to name the SSID for it, which I just put my network name for that room and 5ghz next to it.

5OK networking gurus Empty Re: OK networking gurus 2013-11-20, 03:39

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

StormEye wrote:5ghz interferes less with everyday household devices. This in itself already means that you should be using 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz.

Anyway, many routers don't come with 5ghz option activated right off the box. You probably have to go into router setting, and activate it. You also probably have to name the SSID for it, which I just put my network name for that room and 5ghz next to it.
I think he did he said he has netgear68-5G and netgear68 (the 2.4Ghz)

I think his problem is that the devices are not detecting it

6OK networking gurus Empty Re: OK networking gurus 2013-11-20, 06:27

Tom

Frostbyrn wrote:
StormEye wrote:5ghz interferes less with everyday household devices. This in itself already means that you should be using 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz.

Yeah most electronic items right now do not actually support 5ghz. The PS4 does not support 5ghz, most phones dont, and the same goes for most network cards and adapters.

7OK networking gurus Empty Re: OK networking gurus 2013-11-20, 11:17

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Tom wrote:
Frostbyrn wrote:

Yeah most electronic items right now do not actually support 5ghz. The PS4 does not support 5ghz, most phones dont, and the same goes for most network cards and adapters.
Really? Even the PS4, a brand effing new device, doesn't support 5ghz? What fucking retards.

That's lame. Especially since these dual band routers have been out for years and years now and this router speed tests wireless-n on the 5ghz band waaaaaaay effin' faster than n running on 2.4. This one even supports 802ac, but as near as I can tell nothing even uses it.

So what has ever even been the point of dual band routers then? Why make a point of it if nothing actually uses it?

8OK networking gurus Empty Re: OK networking gurus 2013-11-20, 11:21

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

The X1 supports the 5ghz band and so does the WiiU, but the PS4 doesn't? Even the Xbox 360 apparently was capable of running on the 5ghz band (and apparently ran waaaay faster doing so).

Fuck you Sony you fucking inbred fucktards.

9OK networking gurus Empty Re: OK networking gurus 2013-11-20, 11:26

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Holy shit! The 360 was wireless n and could run 2.4 or 5ghz.
The PS3 was only wireless g on 2.4?

Is this why everyone and their mom has always complained about how slow and shitty the PS3/PSN was compared to the Xbox?

10OK networking gurus Empty Re: OK networking gurus 2013-11-20, 12:28

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Well I must have had it disabled because my phone, our newest iPad my old work iPad and the daughters laptop can all see and run on the 5ghz band now. Everything except the desktop, Vita and the PS4 actually so that's good.

Still stupid that the newest Sony equipment doesn't work with it though.

Thanks for the help guys.
Oh and Frosty, that QoS thing this router does definitely seems to work so that's cool. It says that the gaming pipeline QoS is optimized for 360/Xbox One so I don't know how much it will improve them, but it noticeably improved the PS4 connection speed over LAN.

11OK networking gurus Empty Re: OK networking gurus 2013-11-20, 16:41

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I wondered the same thing way back,was thinking of getting a new router, but mine still works after all these years....I think has speeds up to 150mb wireless g lol.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum