But all the decent hardware ones seem to have "Upgraded" to Win 8

Blegh

Ante

Ante

Isn't 8.1 supposed to be pretty neato?

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Still no start menu Very Happy

Although there are a few mods that readd it so I will probably download one of them

Also according to a friend 8.1 fucks up the search feature

Ante

Ante

god dammit microsoft!

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Also I heard AMD is no longer making CPU's

which probably isnt a good thing

I like to think Intel will still try to power forward even with a monopoly and keep decent prices

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

they're still making APUs which is what the mobile laptop market is mostly anyway Razz

haven't looked into it much, just heard people were pissed steamroller amd cpu wasn't coming to regular AM3 desktop mobos

8.1 is ok, I know what you mean though I just want the start menu back. idk why they had to go and change it all up. It boots up quickly though

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

start is back or start8...it'll hook you up with a start menu. How many times do I have to freaking post this?

Chewy

Chewy

Just wait until Window 9.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

I got the perfect thing for you Frost. Just choose the one more to your liking.
http://bit.ly/1f63rzp

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Main complaint:Doesnt have a start menu

Ars:Links me to Apple Very Happy

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

I've actually used the "start menu" that Windows 8 has. It works almost the same as the previous one, but the interface doesn't make it obvious. Unless I'm missing something.

What exactly do you want the start menu to do?

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Does it still have the search function Ars?

I just want to get rid of the Metro UI and get back the start menu

Basically make it as much like Win 7 as possible while maintaining the performance increase of 8

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

It doesn't look the same, but it works the same.

You can press the Windows button and it automatically takes you to the Metro UI. From there, you can just start typing and it automatically searches your shit. Or if you are already in Metro, start typing. So in practice it's actually faster if you are in the new UI. You could say that Metro itself is the whole start menu now.

Tom

Ars Diaboli wrote:It doesn't look the same, but it works the same.

You can press the Windows button and it automatically takes you to the Metro UI. From there, you can just start typing and it automatically searches your shit. Or if you are already in Metro, start typing. So in practice it's actually faster if you are in the new UI. You could say that Metro itself is the whole start menu now.

That's pretty much it. Metro is just a full screen start menu they you can spend just 1-2 seconds in since search in windows 8 is actually really good.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum