Zillah
MEGA MILK
sheep
TheGM
Chewy
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Are you afraid of death?

Are you afraid of death? Vote_lcap55%Are you afraid of death? Vote_rcap 55% [ 6 ]
Are you afraid of death? Vote_lcap45%Are you afraid of death? Vote_rcap 45% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Are you afraid of death? Empty Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 22:43

Yes I am.

2Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 22:45

Chewy

Chewy

Hard to say for me actually. From a logical standpoint I'm really not afraid of death at all, but my instincts are sure as hell going to make me afraid of it if it comes near. For example I'm still afraid of heights somewhat.

3Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 22:46

TheGM

TheGM

I've been stabed.

All most drowned.

clining on to the side of a cliff by a Tree Root with jagged rocks below.

Involved in one hell of a chase with a large group of people wanting to kick my ass.

So....Kinda....but not really. If that makes sense.

4Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 22:47

sheep

sheep

I'm curious. I would be sad to die right now, because there are still things I want to do, but I'm curious about what really happens when you die.

5Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 22:48

sheep wrote:I'm curious. I would be sad to die right now, because there are still things I want to do, but I'm curious about what really happens when you die.
This is the main reason I believe religion was invented.

6Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 22:49

MEGA MILK

MEGA MILK

I don't really worry about it. Shit happens.

7Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 22:54

Zillah

Zillah

Yeah, im pretty scared of death.

Think about "what it would be like" after you die... thats a serious mindfuck.

8Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 22:54

My biggest worry is how after I die I am gone forever. Maybe I would not be as afried after I have done a lot more in my life.

9Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 22:54

There is no reason to fear the inevitable, but embrace it, when the time comes.

10Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 22:56

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

I like to think I'm not scared. but if I see it coming your damn straight I'm gonna run like a wuss!

Last edited by TerryMay on 2010-12-09, 22:57; edited 1 time in total

11Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 22:57

DrBob276 wrote:There is no reason to fear the inevitable, but embrace it, when the time comes.
But knowing when your time has come is the issue.

12Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 22:58

chunckylover53

If i died right now i'd be angry because theirs still stuff i want to do i cant say i'd ever accept death.. Maybe after i do everything i want to do. I know what i want to do it's just gonna take some time unfortunatly.. It might sound selfish.. But i wanna be with my girl and build a life with her that will make me happy. If i die before that then shit i'll feel like i havn't lived a life.

Damn GM thats alot.. I've almost drowned a few times myself when i was younger. Got hit by a car but it slammed on its breaks so i barely felt anything another dumb mistake from when i was younger.

13Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 22:59

Chewy

Chewy

I'm really not very worried about the possibility of non-existence. It's not like I'd be alive to dwell on it.

14Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:03

B PEGASUS

B PEGASUS

I'm not afraid of death itself. I mean, we all die at one point or another. I'm just afraid of that moment, whether or not I know I'm going to die, that will be the last moment my consciousness ever registers. I'm afraid an abrupt death, immediately taking away all my prospects in life. The more I think about it, about how there WILL be an end to my life and an to my consciousness, the more afraid I become.

15Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:04

I'm not afraid of it at all, I actually feel ready for it.

16Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:08

T-800 wrote:
DrBob276 wrote:There is no reason to fear the inevitable, but embrace it, when the time comes.

That it is, lol. I've been nearly pulled down to the bottom of a lake, by getting stuck in the bio-silt on the bottom, up to my waste, then started to slide off of a drop off while my parent's ignored me. I've also almost been in a plane that fell off of a small cliff at the end of a runway. I've just watched death so many times, that it doesn't bother me anymore. Whether you die today, or if you could die hundreds of years from now, with technological advances, it doesn't matter, because either way, the result will be the same. All you can do is hope that you die with as little suffering as possible, and that you are truly at peace with yourself.

17Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:09

Zillah

Zillah

B PEGASUS wrote:I'm not afraid of death itself. I mean, we all die at one point or another. I'm just afraid of that moment, whether or not I know I'm going to die, that will be the last moment my consciousness ever registers. I'm afraid an abrupt death, immediately taking away all my prospects in life. The more I think about it, about how there WILL be an end to my life and an to my consciousness, the more afraid I become.

^Thats exactly how i feel.

Another question thats commonly asked is wether you'd like to know when/where youre going to die...

Honestly I think i would rather no know.

18Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:12

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

You can't live in fear of death, so knowing where it will happen will only make that fear more real, because it has a physical place.

19Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:13

I agree; knowing when you are going to die would not be enjoyable, but then again, it might help you rethink your life and do everything you wanted to do before it happened, instead of dying before you could do everything you did want to do.

20Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:13

I'm not afraid of it, really. I don't believe in any religion, so that should make me more afraid, seeing as I believe my consciousness will cease to exist when I die...

I think death is a good motivation to actually do something with your life that you would be proud of. Or at least motivation to enjoy yourself. I feel like I've got the latter down, but only a little bit of the former.

I'm sure when the time comes for me to die, I will be afraid, because of the uncertainty of what lies ahead. Even though I think NOTHING will happen to me, I will never be able to know for sure. Also, fear of death is ingrained in every living creature. It's an instinct, to continue to survive, and reproduce. It's in our DNA. So I'm sure that when I'm facing death, I'll be scared as hell.

But at the moment, I feel nothing for death. It's just something that will happen some day. Hopefully it comes quickly, and with very little pain.

So I didn't really answer your poll because I don't think a "Yes" or "No" is a sufficient answer.

21Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:14

DrBob276 wrote:
T-800 wrote:

That it is, lol. I've been nearly pulled down to the bottom of a lake, by getting stuck in the bio-silt on the bottom, up to my waste, then started to slide off of a drop off while my parent's ignored me. I've also almost been in a plane that fell off of a small cliff at the end of a runway. I've just watched death so many times, that it doesn't bother me anymore. Whether you die today, or if you could die hundreds of years from now, with technological advances, it doesn't matter, because either way, the result will be the same. All you can do is hope that you die with as little suffering as possible, and that you are truly at peace with yourself.
Yah I can see where you are coming from. I have never actually looked death in the eye but just the thought of dying a slow painful death scares the shit out of me.

22Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:15

chunckylover53

TerryMay wrote:You can't live in fear of death, so knowing where it will happen will only make that fear more real, because it has a physical place.

Yeah that, i am not afraid of it theres just some stuff i wanna experience before it and i am only 18 so i think i have a long life ahead of me. Of course the unexpected could happen and i could be murdered or something but if we worried about that all the time we would have no fun.

23Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:16

Zillah

Zillah

I always have hope that somehow my consciousness will live on. Im not religious, but it makes death seem a lot less bad.

24Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:17

TerryMay wrote:You can't live in fear of death, so knowing where it will happen will only make that fear more real, because it has a physical place.
I would never want to know how I would die because I would try to stop it and doing that could really fuck something up.

25Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:17

You just can't live in fear Tom, because it will hold you back. Think of your fear as a blessing, considering it may keep you from making bad decisions that may make you die in a way that is torturous, but don't dwell on it, because doing so will make you very depressed. Cramtron thinks of it much the same way I do: it's just something that will happen someday, and you hope it's as swift as possible.

26Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:18

DrBob276 wrote:You just can't live in fear Tom, because it will hold you back. Think of your fear as a blessing, considering it may keep you from making bad decisions that may make you die in a way that is torturous, but don't dwell on it, because doing so will make you very depressed. Cramtron thinks of it much the same way I do: it's just something that will happen someday, and you hope it's as swift as possible.
Oh I don't dwell on it at all. I just started thinking about it after I saw the ending of LOST.

27Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:21

Well, my only advice for you is to try to clear your mind, and do something fun that you enjoy to get your mind off of it. Otherwise, it will stick in your mind for quite a while, which will breed itself into more fear/anxiety, which will make you think more about it, and the it will become an unhealthy thought cycle to escape. I'd watch a comedy, YTP, listen to fun music, something like that. Smile

28Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:23

chunckylover53

I am not big on religion myself but one side of my family is really dedicated to christianity(feel like i spelled that wrong but oh well) two of my uncles are pastors. I was always forced to go to church early on i do believe in good morals but the whole bible and stuff just doesn't make sense to me and theres no evidence of this stuff. I dont think we just came out of nowhere but when we sleep we are unconscious maybe when we die will just get to live in our dreams that would be bliss.

29Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:28

DrBob276 wrote:Well, my only advice for you is to try to clear your mind, and do something fun that you enjoy to get your mind off of it. Otherwise, it will stick in your mind for quite a while, which will breed itself into more fear/anxiety, which will make you think more about it, and the it will become an unhealthy thought cycle to escape. I'd watch a comedy, YTP, listen to fun music, something like that. Smile
Oh I know. I think I will just go watch some comedies on hulu.

30Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:28

I don't fear death. Hell, I don't plan on living much beyond 30 because I don't wanna be old or have my life slip into routine (no offense to any old SeC goers).

Just so long as it doesn't hurt. If I ever end up with some deadly illness I'll probably check out and live it up for 2-3 months.

Last edited by Lead Based Toys on 2010-12-09, 23:29; edited 1 time in total

31Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:29

Zillah

Zillah

chunckylover53 wrote:I am not big on religion myself but one side of my family is really dedicated to christianity(feel like i spelled that wrong but oh well) two of my uncles are pastors. I was always forced to go to church early on i do believe in good morals but the whole bible and stuff just doesn't make sense to me and theres no evidence of this stuff. I dont think we just came out of nowhere but when we sleep we are unconscious maybe when we die will just get to live in our dreams that would be bliss.

Yeah, if youre wondering what death feels like, think of what sleep feels like.

Now imagine sleeping for a trillion years.

32Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:29

chunckylover53 wrote:I am not big on religion myself but one side of my family is really dedicated to christianity(feel like i spelled that wrong but oh well) two of my uncles are pastors. I was always forced to go to church early on i do believe in good morals but the whole bible and stuff just doesn't make sense to me and theres no evidence of this stuff. I dont think we just came out of nowhere but when we sleep we are unconscious maybe when we die will just get to live in our dreams that would be bliss.
This is not a religious discussion and please do not make it one. Also on a little note I could only imagine the nightmare you would have when you die in your sleep.

33Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:33

T-800 wrote:
This is not a religious discussion and please do not make it one. Also on a little note I could only imagine the nightmare you would have when you die in your sleep.
I sounded more like he was giving us his background so we would have a better understanding of what he thinks.

34Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:34

chunckylover53

Sorry if you toke it that way i didn't mean for it to be like that.

35Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:35

chunckylover53

Bla125 wrote:
T-800 wrote:
I sounded more like he was giving us his background so we would have a better understanding of what he thinks.

Yeah that's what i meant.

36Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:35

T-800 wrote:

This will give you a good laugh Tom:

Once, I had a dream that I was went to some weird place, in a field, surrounded by grass, and a nice little pond in the open, with a cabin next to it and no trees. The cabin was kinda dingy, but everybody in my family was there, but for whatever reason, I was sick, and kept coughing up these bloody, coral-spike type things, and I couldn't figure out why. They asked if I wanted to go swimming, so I had said yes, and went. After I jumped off the wooden dock the first time, I had got stuck on the bottom, and looked up, in which I could see the foliage around me, and the sun up above the surface of the water, maybe about 20 feet (hard to estimate in a dream, lol). Anyways, I swam back up, and I jumped off of the dock again, but this time, when I opened my eyes, I could see NOTHING, but black, but I still couldn't breathe, even when I tried to force myself to breathe in water. I was just kinda stuck in place in this black abyss. I woke up, finding out that I had rolled over in my sleep, and was suffocating on the plasticy type pillowcase I had. xD I remember, I laughed before going back to sleep, because I could just picture the headlines about me dying by suffocating on a pillowcase; I would've been the laughing stock of the whole town. xD

37Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:39

DrBob276 wrote:
T-800 wrote:

This will give you a good laugh Tom:

Once, I had a dream that I was went to some weird place, in a field, surrounded by grass, and a nice little pond in the open, with a cabin next to it and no trees. The cabin was kinda dingy, but everybody in my family was there, but for whatever reason, I was sick, and kept coughing up these bloody, coral-spike type things, and I couldn't figure out why. They asked if I wanted to go swimming, so I had said yes, and went. After I jumped off the wooden dock the first time, I had got stuck on the bottom, and looked up, in which I could see the foliage around me, and the sun up above the surface of the water, maybe about 20 feet (hard to estimate in a dream, lol). Anyways, I swam back up, and I jumped off of the dock again, but this time, when I opened my eyes, I could see NOTHING, but black, but I still couldn't breathe, even when I tried to force myself to breathe in water. I was just kinda stuck in place in this black abyss. I woke up, finding out that I had rolled over in my sleep, and was suffocating on the plasticy type pillowcase I had. xD I remember, I laughed before going back to sleep, because I could just picture the headlines about me dying by suffocating on a pillowcase; I would've been the laughing stock of the whole town. xD
I have had that happen to me a couple of times hell I have even died in my dreams.

38Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:39

Wacco

Also Tom, you can't be mad at him for mentioning religion. Religion and death have a correlation.

As for me, I am not so much scared of the actual moment but afterwards. I'm terrified at the idea that you just cease to exist. No more you. No more thoughts, no more memories, nothing. I just can't really comprehend that. I myself am Catholic, but I've never really bought into the idea of an afterlife. I really hope there is one though, I just can't imagine not existing anymore. I guess I didn't before I was born, but now that I have existed it's a bit hard to let go of that existence. I guess it wouldn't bother me because I'd be dead, but still.

39Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:52

Wacco wrote:Also Tom, you can't be mad at him for mentioning religion. Religion and death have a correlation.
I was not mad I juts do not want to see my thread turn into a flame war.

40Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:53

Wacco

Fair enough, but it wasn't an argument-provoking comment. But I don't want to start an argument about starting arguments Razz Anyway.

41Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:54

You should wait until the flame war actually starts or looks like it might to say something, you are making it sound like no on should EVER talk about religion.

42Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-09, 23:59

Bla125 wrote:You should wait until the flame war actually starts or looks like it might to say something, you are making it sound like no on should EVER talk about religion.
Every time I have seen the topic of religion brought up (especially in my evolution thread) it has turned into a flame war and been locked.

43Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-10, 00:01

Did anybody tell them to stop after they started arguing though? because I'm sure if something like that happened here you could just pm a mod and they would tell people to knock it of and it would stop.

44Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-10, 00:01

Erkeric

Erkeric

The way I see it is yea...dieing would suck...but that kind of shit happens all the time.

This year has really changed my point of view.

To start with a guy in one of my classes died a few hours after I was talking to him. It had something to do with epilepsy, I think, while he was sleeping.

I didnt know him too well but it was still a kind of shock for me.

Then a friend of mines dad killed himself the monday after thanksgiving. That was really surprising...never thought he would do something like that especially with 4 kids still in school.

And now in english we are reading a book about this guy with Lou gehrigs disease.

In movies when characters would die I wouldnt really think too much about it because its a movie...but now anytime I see something like that where I know the characters or something it kind of hits me and leaves me thinking "wow....what the hell..."

I used to be really afraid of dieing. I was always worried about germs and getting sick or something but now the way I see it is its just pointless to fear it like that. You get yourself so worked up about staying safe or w.e and you miss out on things. Granted its still a stupid idea to run around in a busy street or something but you can still not worry too much about it as its just your time to go and hopefully you did something in someones life for the better.

45Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-10, 00:16

And I would like to add the fact that you put this in sex, RELIGION, and politics.

46Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-10, 00:18

Bla125 wrote:And I would like to add the fact that you put this in sex, RELIGION, and politics.
Then by all means discuss religion in another topic but I do not want another one of mine closed.

47Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-10, 02:02

Heebs

Heebs

this topic is freaking me out. i don't want to think about death. i am now going to act as if this thread never happened. *runs*

48Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-10, 02:30

Wacco

Haha Heebs. I dunno, I've been thinking about death a lot more too lately. Not necessarily in a negative way either. I've been starting to think: why not do a lot of things? Right now I'm always worried about doing things because of the way I want others to think of me or other reasons like that, and that stops me from doing a lot. I've been starting to think, hey, you've got one life, why the hell not do whatever it is I want to do?

And Bla and Tom, let's stop arguing about starting arguments. It's counterproductive. Just leave it at it's ok to mention religion in this topic as it is relevant, but don't bash anyone. K?

49Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-10, 02:56

Wacco wrote:Haha Heebs. I dunno, I've been thinking about death a lot more too lately. Not necessarily in a negative way either. I've been starting to think: why not do a lot of things? Right now I'm always worried about doing things because of the way I want others to think of me or other reasons like that, and that stops me from doing a lot. I've been starting to think, hey, you've got one life, why the hell not do whatever it is I want to do?

And Bla and Tom, let's stop arguing about starting arguments. It's counterproductive. Just leave it at it's ok to mention religion in this topic as it is relevant, but don't bash anyone. K?
Every time I see a horror movie it makes me cringe to think that I could die such a painful and terrifying death.

50Are you afraid of death? Empty Re: Are you afraid of death? 2010-12-10, 03:15

Wacco

I don't have that problem. That's not gonna happen to you man, not many horror movies are very realistic at all haha. All I want is to be able to find a girl I love, have a family, and hopefully see my kids grow up before I die. If I get that done, I feel like I'll be able to die happily.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum