Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Regarding "Welcome" topics and new members.

+7
TexasMace
Tater
Wacco
ALargeEffinFry
Frostbyrn
sheep
Ron Swanson
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

If we want this site to grow in members who repeatedly visit, then we need to make this place more inviting.

I know that the whole concept of the "welcome" topic is supposed to be a warm invitation, but from what I've seen of them, they're anything but. Just stop making the topics. Do we want to seem like a bunch of over-eager weirdos to these people? A legitimate website with memberships would not bother making such topics, because they would be gaining so many members they would not be able to keep track of them. When we "welcome" new members, we're basically saying that we're desperate for some new blood.

In my opinion, I think that when we gain a new member, we should let them do their own thing. If the site interests them, they will post. If not, they won't. But I think that when we welcome someone to a small community where everyone knows each other and has strange inside jokes, then that just makes them feel like an outsider. If anything, these "welcome" topics are counterproductive.

I'm sorry if I just took a shit on your parade, but if I joined this website and someone was babbling at me about stealthy wookiees or whatever the fuck, I would GTFO instantly. We're just giving off this vibe of weirdness. I know we've got some strange folks, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm one of them. But at least let the newbies warm up to us. You can't just flood them with nonsense and expect them to like it.

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

yes the nonsense must be intsalled in small doses. agreed

Cram always the sensible one around here. I like that about you.

I completely agree with you and will stop posting them.

sheep

sheep

Good point Cram.

....Can we send them welcome PMs?

sheep wrote:Good point Cram.

I'm no authority figure. I'm just giving some suggestions.

Feel free to do whatever you please. But I advise against being too strange.

sheep wrote:Good point Cram.

I would be more afraid of that than a welcome thread....

sheep

sheep

Even with cute sheep pictures all over it and little hearty emoticons? Wouldn't that make you feel special rather that frightened?

All silliness aside. I can see where you're coming from Cram.

Maybe instead of welcome threads for everyone one, we can have one big one? Sort of an introductory thread that's pinned here in the lounge? Everyone can write a little bit about themselves, and new members can pop in there and say something if they want.

Sort of a meet and greet.

"Hey I'm Sheep, burning up in the good ole Cali sun. I like grapes and going all SAIGA crazy in BC2."

Just an example on my idea. Yeah. Seen these before. Liked them.

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Me Crazy?

But yeah i hardly ever post in them unless i already know the person who came here

Not a bad idea, Sheep. If someone started a sticky thread that new members could introduce themselves in, I don't see what harm it could produce... as long as everyone understood that it's not a topic to get sidetracked with other kinds of conversation.

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Its okay ill enforce it for being On topic just send Storm or Epyk a PM asking to sticky it

Well, one of you mods/admin should start it. You're the official spokesmen for the website, after all.

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Ill leave it to an Admin theyre so much more Eloquent than me Very Happy

sheep

sheep

And generally less creepy lol.

Oh man. An on topic topic. This is going to be sooo hard.

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Not really if the TC asks for the Topic to stay on topic we can mod people for being Off topic

sheep wrote:And generally less creepy lol.

Oh man. An on topic topic. This is going to be sooo hard.
We are on topic right now....

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Jesus Christ hes right!

ALargeEffinFry

ALargeEffinFry

I have only posted in 2 welcome threads I think, I agree they usually turn into our inside jokes.

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Hey man it only takes em a second to be Part of our inside jokes Very Happy

Frost, I've read your posts since GFAQs, and I still don't understand WTF you're talking about, sometimes.

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Thats because i reference Stuff left and right and forget people havent seen everything i have

ALargeEffinFry

ALargeEffinFry

Cram speaks much truth frost. You're random as hell

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

And i just Explained why ill try to stop doing it

Going to be hard though

ALargeEffinFry

ALargeEffinFry

You posted while I was typing so I didn't see it....wench.

Wacco

Yea, I never understand what Frost is saying or most of the inside jokes. I need to play with you guys more to understand em I guess.

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Probably not Wacco most of them are cooked up in my Brain which is crazier than an Escher painting

Tater

Tater

In other forums i'm part of theres actual Threads devoted to NEW MEMBERS! introduction type threads. So if they want they can go in and post a lil about themselves.

That'll show you who's serious about using the site and who's generally potential to just be a troll!

TexasMace

TexasMace

I liked the "welcome" thread! It's still okay to be nice to people even in this disgusting era. I also like our "weirdness" it's the reason I joined. I'm not sure if doing things like gfaqs or the ea forums is wise, I mean look where that got 'em.

Something I forgot to add...When I first came here I was looking for a description of what the SeC was but I really couldn't find that. I had to start reading posts to figure out the place. It would have helped me out to have a concrete idea of what this place was. Do we require practice matches or is this even a clan, that kind of crap. Just an idea, not trying to put anyone to work on yet another project. There are much wiser people here than me. Very Happy

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

thats a good idea mace, make sure to let epyk know

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

TerryMay wrote:thats a good idea mace, make sure to let epyk know

http://www.speakeasyclinic.com/the-lounge-f1/new-members-welcome-thread-t3617.htm
already on it

TexasMace

TexasMace

Awesome sauce!

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

The Cramtron wrote:You can't just flood them with nonsense and expect them to like it.

Why not, man? Nonsense is like our currency around here...

StormEye

StormEye

The Cramtron wrote:Frost, I've read your posts since GFAQs, and I still don't understand WTF you're talking about, sometimes.
Regarding "Welcome" topics and new members. IFMOV01_PSS_000021185-qnfrdmsgptjd-hjw5704

Did I miss something this weekend? We had an influx of new members?

D

StormEye wrote:
The Cramtron wrote:Frost, I've read your posts since GFAQs, and I still don't understand WTF you're talking about, sometimes.
Regarding "Welcome" topics and new members. IFMOV01_PSS_000021185-qnfrdmsgptjd-hjw5704

Macross?

I thought we were getting too many new "Welcome" topics going at once as well, and they always end up weird and derailed too fast. Well spoken Cramtron.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum