anyone who knows a lot of stuff about computers

+3
TexasMace
Same
Valukar
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Valukar

I am looking for help. I want to buy a new computer but I am unsure of what I should do.

I don't want to spend more than $700 but I can if I have to. I'm going to use the computer for gaming and possibly graphics if I decide that I still want to do that.

I have no idea what kind of motherboard or processor I'm looking for. I know I need a dedicated graphics card but I don't know what a good one would look like. I'm thinking either 4 or 6GB RAM would be good enough to start with but I don't know a whole lot about different types of RAM. I don't think I need a very big hard drive and if I do it shouldn't be hard to get more storage space later on. I know how to put a computer together so if I have to build one from just the parts it won't be a problem.

I have a 720p monitor and a bigger 1080p monitor. The 720p one only works with VGA, is that a bad thing? It works with the graphics card I have now but I don't know if that means much. Either way I'm not buying another monitor.

That's all I could think of for now... I don't know if there's anyone who can help me but I would greatly appreciate it if someone tried. I've tried looking online and nothing I've found makes sense to me.

http://www.gamerhold.com/forum

Same

Same

Well build them from the parts. It is cheaper.

Processors, well I personally say try getting the intel i7, it's considerably better that AMD processors but makes a huge dent in your budget. AMD works for gaming and are a lot cheaper but it depends on if you want to splash the money around a lot. it could impact other parts.

As for a motherboard, that depends because they need to be compatible with EVERYTHING you're getting, if it carries DDR3 memory slots then you need DDR3 RAM and check its slots, most come with 4 slots and over here in england 4gb of ram is £40 which is around $60 for you guys (If you buy two sticks of 2GB).

Hard drives are dirt cheap, buy a 500GB one just to be safe on memory because I dont think you will need a lot more.

Oh and Graphics card, go for a radeon and heres a link ranking the graphics cards. http://techfrom10.com/2010/12/graphics-card-rankings-list/

^ That will give you the best to worse and expensive to cheapest. You can always upgrade later on same with your processor. Plus they will be able to use VGA and such still you may need to check the graphics card.

Sound cards... Yeah as long as they have two jacks you're fine.

You need a good PSU, 750W at least.

Two fans at least, one for the back one for the side. Or if the case has more than two slots add an extra one in case.

as for disk drives.. as long as it is comopatible.

I can't recommend any thing because I am not sure on how you want to build it and right now, I am lazy to find you a fix Razz

I have my own set up which is about $500 on an AMD processor but if you're going $700 highest you might want to look for sites that sell parts. Make sure they have good reviews on the parts and the site as well.

TexasMace

TexasMace

I'm glad you posted this because I'm thinking of slightly upgrading my HP PC. I'll keep an eye on this one.

Heebs

Heebs

i have no idea what kind of specs my pc has, i just know it rocks face. my boyfriend got it from Dell on sale for 700 bucks, it is usually a 1,000 dollar computer.

if you don't know how to build it yourself (not the original poster, anyone else who is interested or whatevs), i would keep an eye on the Dell website, they have daily and weekly deals, and you can get a really badass pc on the cheap if you wait for it, like we did.

i will track down the specs on this bad boy at some point today and post it in here. i know i've got a quad core, but beyond that i couldn't tell ya. <3

StormEye

StormEye

I am going to be building brand new gaming PC when BF3 comes out.

Probably somewhere around $1500.

Same

Same

Prebuilts generalise in ONE good product. And then overprices things for labour >_> You might want to build it rather then buy it.

Valukar

Boxxy wrote:Well build them from the parts. It is cheaper.

Processors, well I personally say try getting the intel i7, it's considerably better that AMD processors but makes a huge dent in your budget. AMD works for gaming and are a lot cheaper but it depends on if you want to splash the money around a lot. it could impact other parts.

As for a motherboard, that depends because they need to be compatible with EVERYTHING you're getting, if it carries DDR3 memory slots then you need DDR3 RAM and check its slots, most come with 4 slots and over here in england 4gb of ram is £40 which is around $60 for you guys (If you buy two sticks of 2GB).

Hard drives are dirt cheap, buy a 500GB one just to be safe on memory because I dont think you will need a lot more.

Oh and Graphics card, go for a radeon and heres a link ranking the graphics cards. http://techfrom10.com/2010/12/graphics-card-rankings-list/

^ That will give you the best to worse and expensive to cheapest. You can always upgrade later on same with your processor. Plus they will be able to use VGA and such still you may need to check the graphics card.

Two fans at least, one for the back one for the side. Or if the case has more than two slots add an extra one in case.

I can't recommend any thing because I am not sure on how you want to build it and right now, I am lazy to find you a fix Razz

I have my own set up which is about $500 on an AMD processor but if you're going $700 highest you might want to look for sites that sell parts. Make sure they have good reviews on the parts and the site as well.
are there any good sites you recommend?

edit: never mind i have a site that shows the prices but not any reviews so i'll look those up seperately. maybe when i'm done i'll post everything here and see what you think i should change. i know i'm going to need help finding the right motherboard lol

Ante

Ante

You don't need an i7 for gaming, it's overkill. Hell, most games don't even use all the cores which makes them worse for gaming. Also, unless you're getting 2 top tier video cards for SLI use, you don't need a 750 watt power supply either.

EDIT: as for sites, the only ones you will EVER need to visit:

www.newegg.com
www.tigerdirect.com

Last edited by Skynet on 2011-01-30, 18:08; edited 1 time in total

Patrick Star

Patrick Star

Valukar wrote:
Boxxy wrote:Well build them from the parts. It is cheaper.

are there any good sites you recommend?

edit: never mind i have a site that shows the prices but not any reviews so i'll look those up seperately. maybe when i'm done i'll post everything here and see what you think i should change. i know i'm going to need help finding the right motherboard lol
you can try newegg http://www.newegg.com/ "for all your computer needs!"

Same

Same

Yeah I know I7 is overkill, I am going with a AMD Athlon dual core, I can upgrade anytime afterwards. and sometimes 500w isn't that good.

Valukar

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6325074&csid=ITD&body=MAIN

do you guys think this is a good deal? it would be a lot easier to go with something already built and i didn't expect to get anything decent without spending more than i want to. it has dedicated graphics, 8gb ram, a 6 core processor, and it comes with windows 7. the only problems i see are that it has way more hard drive space than i would ever use and its power supply is only 300w, but is that a huge problem that i would have to fix right away?

edit: never mind the deal on that computer is over Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum