We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gardens of the Moon

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gardens of the Moon Empty Gardens of the Moon 2011-04-30, 23:40

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

I wanted some good Viking themed fantasy and went in looking for an author that was recommended to me - David Farland. Problem was, the title of the first book in the series was so fucking cheesy I couldn't make myself buy it (It's called Runelords... seriously? That's the best you could come up with? How lame...).

So anyway I grabbed a different book instead by an author I haven't read. Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. Good title. Decent cover.

The first 157 pages I thought "well at least I know I never want to buy another book by this guy", but after that it actually became interesting. I wouldn't say he's the best writer and his characters aren't all that fleshed out, but his world-building is highly original, varied and unique.
Magic is completely bizarre and overly powerful. Gods are well known and fuck with mortals a bunch. Ancient soul blasting in-human races (No elves, dwarves or fuckin' orcs so far thank god). Chaos possessed marionettes. Floating mountain fortresses. 300,000 year old undead warriors with badd-ass flint weapons etc. A sword that chains your soul to a building sized wagon you have to pull for the rest of eternity etc... Intersting stuff and none of it comes off as cliche.

I ended up liking it and I'll read the next, but I was wondering if any of you have read them (Malazan books of the Fallen novels) and what your thoughts are? Does his characterization and writing get better?

2Gardens of the Moon Empty Re: Gardens of the Moon 2011-05-02, 13:12

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

You're all a bunch of ball-lickers.

3Gardens of the Moon Empty Re: Gardens of the Moon 2011-05-02, 13:20

TexasMace

TexasMace

Sounds like the shit I try to read, Metal but I haven't yet. I'll look it up because I've been looking for something new to read.

4Gardens of the Moon Empty Re: Gardens of the Moon 2011-05-02, 13:32

DRGN LRD 1213

DRGN LRD 1213

Runelords is actually a really good book with a very interesting concept. THe wealthy, and powerful can get runes branded on them. THe runes take the power from one person and gives it to the person who gets the runes. For instance I could take your sight and you wpuld be blind but as long as you stayed alive I would have double the sight I did have. You should give Runelords a try.

5Gardens of the Moon Empty Re: Gardens of the Moon 2011-05-02, 13:36

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

DRGN LRD 1213 wrote:Runelords is actually a really good book with a very interesting concept. THe wealthy, and powerful can get runes branded on them. THe runes take the power from one person and gives it to the person who gets the runes. For instance I could take your sight and you wpuld be blind but as long as you stayed alive I would have double the sight I did have. You should give Runelords a try.

I was told it was good, it was just the title and the cover that turned me off.
I'll read it after Game of Thrones... actually I'll read one of the sci-fi recommendations here after Game of Thrones then I'll pick up Runelords.

6Gardens of the Moon Empty Re: Gardens of the Moon 2011-05-02, 13:39

DRGN LRD 1213

DRGN LRD 1213

I got so many books I need, want, and other people want me to read. Right now my co worker brought in Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy that I am reading. Not bad but its a little slow.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum