Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

is a Quad Core 1.6 Ghz CPU better than a Dual-Core 2.2 Ghz CPU?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

or are they the same in terms of processing power?

im doing more laptop research since the one i was looking at has sold out Razz

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

hmmmm I wondered this as well awhile back,a couple years ago brand new I saw quad core 1.6ghz for like 20 bucks,I imagine they're really dirt cheap by now Razz

something tells me they're actually worse in performance tho...

Chewy

Chewy

I would think the quad core would be better at multi-tasking, while the dual-core would be better at handling hefty programs that take up most your resources like games.

I'm mostly talking out of my ass here though so don't take my word for it.

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

i did some googling and you appear to be right Chewy.

apparently most games are designed to run on Dual cores, they run better than on Quad-Cores because the processes are not designed to run simultaneously on 4 cores at once, but there are some games designed to run on both Dual and Quad core (like Crysis).

it says you can still game on Quad core, but if the processes in the game are not designed to be split further than Dual core you wont get as good performance.

ill probably end up going with Quad Core as most of the time i have quite a few programs running (Chrome, iTunes and Minecraft mainly).

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

heh I always heard that you "had" to have a quad core to even game Razz.but I guess not.

I guess I'll just stick with consoles myself...pc gets too expensive and you need to update too much 0__o.keyboard and mouse gives me cramps

my bro has a dual core 2ghz laptop and he always has 20+ tabs open lmfao,and he never has a problem,plus he has 20 anti virus running at once and I'm like wtf?

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

JrTapia1991 wrote:heh I always heard that you "had" to have a quad core to even game Razz.but I guess not.

i guess they must have the better Quad Cores out there, i imagine that a 2.2Ghz 4core would obliterate a 2.2Ghz 2core since it has the same speed as well as extra cores to divide the work between.

There is no way for me or anyone else to tell you if the quad is better than the dual core without knowing the maker and model of each processor. Also just for reference quad cores are actually quite rare in laptops. Most of the time it is just a dual core that has 4 threads.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum