Gary Effin' Oak.
MEGA MILK
Pariah
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Greg I need advice Empty Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 19:53

Pariah

Pariah

whats the best way to get free music? I've never used torrents, or anything really. Figure I should probably learn, cuz I wanna expand my library a bit.

2Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 19:56

MEGA MILK

MEGA MILK

Pirate Bay and BitTorrent have worked for me.

dem 3500+ songs

3Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 19:57

Gary Effin' Oak.

Gary Effin' Oak.

Im gonna pretend to be Greg.

Depends on what you want, older stuff...torrents are definitely the way to go. Mediafire was god until Megaupload went down and they started getting scared. The newer stuff you have to be creative and use google to track down blogs with links. The quicker you are the better, some stuff gets yanked immediately.

....Fuck.

I think I did well.

4Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 19:59

Ante

Ante

http://www.utorrent.com/

utorrent is best torrenting client

5Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 20:02

Pariah

Pariah

Thanks Greg1, Greg2 and Greg3. I'll try that out when I have time.

6Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 20:05

infadel117

infadel117

Ante wrote:http://www.utorrent.com/

utorrent is best torrenting client

Greg I need advice 2458268739 that works way too well with your avatar

7Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 21:27

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

Ahem...

You sources are torrents and share/upload sites via blogs.

For torrents I usually use either torrents.to or torrentz.com, both are sites that search other torrent sites, and utorrent as my app (it's light on the resources).
I recommend downloading discographies as they usually have more seeds and just get rid of what you don't like.

For more rock/metal orientated torrents go here: http://www.psychocydd.co.uk/torrents.php

Another good bet is investing time searching for blogs and through blogs for other blogs that deal with the kind of music you may be interested in. I could list a bunch of blogs for extreme music, but other than that I don't know many others.

It really boils down to finding someone with a blogs that matches your musical interests.

Now, another good option is using either filestube.com or filetram.com, to search for music via share/upload sites. Filestube.com even gives you a link to whatever page the original link was found on (which more often than not is a blog). So this is also a way to find blogs that may interest you.

Last but not least, message boards are your friends.

8Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 21:32

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

Also, forget all the various bs media players that people reccomend. Use winamp for music, (it plays everything audio pretty much except mpc. files) and gom player (gomlab.com) for videos (plays almost anything, downloads new codecs that may be needed right from their site).

Trust me. These are all you need.

9Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 21:40

Pariah

Pariah

damn...you've got this down to a science. nice dude.

Any idea how I could do the same for movies? I have a few dvds I wanna rip as well, is there any good way to do that?

10Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 21:47

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

Pariah wrote:damn...you've got this down to a science. nice dude.

Any idea how I could do the same for movies? I have a few dvds I wanna rip as well, is there any good way to do that?

For movies same rules apply concerning torrents (torrents.to and torrentz.com), but you can always use rarbg.com which is great. Just go here for new uploads:
http://rarbg.com/catalog

If you click on a movie it opens a page with almost all and any info you could need as well as a list of other rips of the same film.

I would recommend brrip (blue ray rips) of movies, if available. They usually average anywhere from 1 to 3 GB, but the picture is usually worth and you get much better sound than an average dvd rip (which is more or less a shitty128kbr mp3). As an audiophile I cannot stress this enough.

As for ripping, I used to use a program called dvdshrink for ripping dvds, but that was a few years ago and I haven't kept up with the blueray tech much.

11Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 21:52

Chewy

Chewy

Dance Hall Derelict wrote:Also, forget all the various bs media players that people reccomend. Use winamp for music, (it plays everything audio pretty much except mpc. files) and gom player (gomlab.com) for videos (plays almost anything, downloads new codecs that may be needed right from their site).

Never was a big fan of winamp, don't really like the looks of it and it's a bit of a memory hog.

From my experience basically every media player(with a library) for Windows sucks in some aspect. I use Songbird, but it can be a memory hog and takes a while to boot up. But I like how it looks and that it has ipod and lastfm support.

If only they made Rhythmbox for Windows....

And yeah torrents can get you basically anything. And if I can't find some music from a torrent I just search it on google and it usually comes up with a rapidshare or something(probably a lot harder now due to megaupload and shit being shut down). You have to be REALLY careful with this though...

12Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 21:53

I use Foobar. I love it.

13Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 21:56

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

Chewy wrote:
Dance Hall Derelict wrote:Also, forget all the various bs media players that people reccomend. Use winamp for music, (it plays everything audio pretty much except mpc. files) and gom player (gomlab.com) for videos (plays almost anything, downloads new codecs that may be needed right from their site).

Never was a big fan of winamp, don't really like the looks of it and it's a bit of a memory hog.

From my experience basically every media player(with a library) for Windows sucks in some aspect. I use Songbird, but it can be a memory hog and takes a while to boot up. But I like how it looks and that it has ipod and lastfm support.

If only they made Rhythmbox for Windows....

And yeah torrents can get you basically anything. And if I can't find some music from a torrent I just search it on google and it usually comes up with a rapidshare or something(probably a lot harder now due to megaupload and shit being shut down). You have to be REALLY careful with this though...

Maybe where you live, no problem over here.

As for winamp, it is a bit of a hog, but I find it plays almost everything including 24 bit sound, plus it has a great history, best visualization imo plus I find it just a lot more user friendly.

14Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 22:18

Kenshiro

Kenshiro

Gary Effin' Oak. wrote:Im gonna pretend to be Greg.

Depends on what you want, older stuff...torrents are definitely the way to go. Mediafire was god until Megaupload went down and they started getting scared. The newer stuff you have to be creative and use google to track down blogs with links. The quicker you are the better, some stuff gets yanked immediately.

....Fuck.

I think I did well.

This is pretty much it. Torrents will net you a lot, and you need to look for direct download links for the obscure stuff. Some people on YT are nice enough to include download links like that.

15Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 22:32

Chewy

Chewy

Oh yeah and I noticed nobody mentioned PeerBlock. Get it if you're going to use torrents.

http://www.peerblock.com/

16Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-22, 22:48

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

Chewy wrote:Oh yeah and I noticed nobody mentioned PeerBlock. Get it if you're going to use torrents.

This is a must.

17Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-29, 19:24

Crombie

Crombie

kickasstorrents

use it. love it.

18Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-29, 19:35

Not going to comment on all of this torrent advice but in regards to ripping dvd's that you own the best program I have found is makemkv. The rips it makes are just as good as the dvd so be prepared for each movie to be around 5GB. You can then convert these movies down to about 1GB and mp4 (or whatever format you want) using handbrake. To play mkv files (and just about any other video file) I would recommend either VLC or media player classic home cinema. In regards to audio players my personal favorite is clementine.

19Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-29, 20:37

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

Dance Hall Derelict wrote:
Chewy wrote:Oh yeah and I noticed nobody mentioned PeerBlock. Get it if you're going to use torrents.

This is a must.

mediafire is cool

20Greg I need advice Empty Re: Greg I need advice 2012-03-29, 21:09

Pariah

Pariah

PrototypeT800 wrote:Not going to comment on all of this torrent advice but in regards to ripping dvd's that you own the best program I have found is makemkv. The rips it makes are just as good as the dvd so be prepared for each movie to be around 5GB. You can then convert these movies down to about 1GB and mp4 (or whatever format you want) using handbrake. To play mkv files (and just about any other video file) I would recommend either VLC or media player classic home cinema. In regards to audio players my personal favorite is clementine.

I got the program, it works PERFECTLY!!! but I'm really simple when it comes to media, is there a way to add it to itunes?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum