Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Just finished NG3 on hard. Some pros and cons.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Finished it earlier today (I rented the game), and I also played a bit of the ninja trials.

For the single player:

Pros
- Tries something new for the series. Hayashi had the balls to at least try something different. Sure, it backfired horribly, but he tried, and that's more of what can be said about most developers.
- Graphics. Not that they really matter, but they are nice.
- Fluid combat. It's very easy to have a fluid battle, like water running, unlike NG2 and Black, where you had to understand more advanced techniques to achieve this.
- Steel on Bone chaining. Chaining SoB attacks can be very satisfying, specially if you do it to enemies that spam grabs or defend a lot.
- Characters. Not the characters themselves (I'll get to that later), but having an AI buddy is nice even if it's a rare occurrence. They distract the enemy and kill a bit too.
- Tributes to NGB and NG2. At times, you'll reach points in the game where you're brought back to places from the previous games, and even fight old enemies. It's a nice touch. It does have a bit of a problem in itself, which I'll cover later.

Cons
- 1 weapon. You only have a katana, and you expand its moveset as you progress through the story. This bring me to my next 2 points.
- Having one weapon, you would think that it would have a huge moveset. It does not. It's pretty much like using the Dragon Sword from NG2, with plenty of combos removed, and some others added. I dare to say that the True Dragon Sword in NG2 has more combos. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me, that's just how it felt for me.
- There will be DLC weapons. While they (just 2 confirmed) will be free, it makes the game look rushed (I already think it was), or as a way to "apologize" for all of the complaints. I'm guessing that if more weapons are released, they will cost some $. Personally, unless they give 5 for free weapons at least, it will just look like a cash grab.
- QTEs. As much as Hayashi said that there weren't QTEs in the game, there are. Some that did look like QTEs, are not, but there are still plenty of them.
Example: Sliding through a narrow area looked like a QTE at first, but really isn't. However, some enemies and most bosses require QTEs to be killed, and there are also cutscenes with QTEs. If you do like them... well, more power to you. I hate them.
- Kunai climb. It's one of the dumbest mechanics I've ever seen, and the game is littered with them. Not one chapter goes that you don't use this. And it's not just once per chapter. Why someone thought this would be fun, is beyond me.
- Story. This will be a bit long...

The story was marketed as something more important this time around. It wants to show the player the "meaning of killing" or something like that, or at least that's what I remember from the interviews. It fails horribly. It never really touches the subject, and what little it actually does, it does in a terrible way. It's just Ryu with his cursed arm hurting because of all the humans he has killed before, he doesn't really feel remorse, or anything at all about killing. It's his way of life, he kills. That's it, and the only way the story even tries to convey anything is how he is a murderer and he is cursed because of it. Not that he cares. Dumb dialog (Team Ninja trademark!), cliché and boring characters. Brother rivalry, orphan girl, nothing outstanding. And despite what I said, Ryu got Samus'd (not that I played Other M Razz). He's a murderer but cries and whines about a little girl he knows nothing about. Then he turns around and slaughters 100 guys.
That said, I never really cared about story or characters in NG.

- Unresponsivenes. Now, maybe I wasn't used to the PS3 controller since I mainly play on my 360, but sometimes my inputs won't go through. Messes me up plenty of times. If someone can confirm this, please do.
- Short single player. Not by all that much, but it was shorter than previous entries.
- Enemy design. I just don't like it, but that's highly subjective I guess. I thought most enemies were very meh, bosses included. Fun fights included the Black Spider Ninjas.
- Level design. It's just... if I didn't like the enemy design, I thought the level design was even worse. There were some nice areas here and there, but sadly the ones I liked the most were tributes to previous games. I can't really recall one area that had me drop my jaw in awe. Again, this is highly subjective.
- Frame rate issues. When playing Master Ninja Mode, the FPS drops by half, if not more. It reaches unplayable levels. Perhaps installing the game solves this, but I'd require confirmation.
- No new game+ It's a bit understandable. The only thing you would actually get out of it is a fully upgraded sword, but still, it's annoying.
- No chapter select either. I'm not really sure why none of these are in.

... and I got busy in something else. I'll finish this later if I get the chance. Just information for anyone on the fence about this game. Or you can just rent it.

D

Ars Diaboli wrote:

- Unresponsivenes. Now, maybe I wasn't used to the PS3 controller since I mainly play on my 360, but sometimes my inputs won't go through. Messes me up plenty of times. If someone can confirm this, please do.

Good write up, I'll go straight to the above though and confirm that it was an issue for me on the 360 version and is a somewhat common complaint. That alone was a dealbreaker for me, it felt sloppy, rushed and generic to be honest. Not what I expect out of a Ninja Gaiden game.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Thanks for the confirmation!

Yes, that's exactly what it felt for me. I don't mind having the crappiest story ever, that's not what I play NG for. But if I can't have my character do exactly what I want as easily as it is in the previous games and the combat isn't as good, there's no deal.

Ninja Gaiden had its niche, and NG3 just ignored it. Oh well, I hope a new Bayonetta is released...

Ars Diaboli wrote:I hope a new Bayonetta is released...

This

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

Ars Diaboli wrote:Ninja Gaiden had its niche, and NG3 just ignored it

This is the most important statement you made. NG games were for very specific gamers, myself included. It was a very technical, smooth fast and difficult game that always tested your reaction time, and ability to multitask.

That being said I understand why they wanted to change things up to reach a broader audience, but they alienated just as many with a sloppy title.

Chewy

Chewy

Is this the Kunai Climb you mentioned? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=335mX-RGosE

Anyways, would you say it's overall good for some mindless fun at least?

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Yes, that's the kunai climb. And you'll see it in every chapter, more than once. It's not hard like the video shows it, it's just stupid, boring, and I see no reason to have it in the game.

And yes, it's an average game, or mediocre, depending on how you want to see the glass Very Happy You can get some fun out of it, but don't think you'll be going back to it more than once or twice. It's at least worth a rent. Something important to consider is that the Ninja Trials are a bit fun, they are like small missions where you defeat a certain enemy composition. I played just about 10-15 of them so I can't go into detail about them.

You have your generic ninja to use, and you "level him up". This is either good or bad, depending on what your take is on the carrot on a stick approach. You unlock moves as you level up, so at level 1 you have almost zero combos, which is a annoying but you level up quickly. It's nice to play for a bit, but I just stopped today. I only played offline though. I think you can level up your ninja both offline and online in all of the extra modes.

tl;dr: You can have mindless fun with it, kind of like the mindless fun God of War tends to provide.

@Terry, yes, exactly. I don't know why he ignored the fans, but well :/ He went for a more popular approach and made the game more like the rest of the action games out there. He tried something different by doing something similar if that makes any sense. I don't know about the multitasking part... I'm a man, I suck at that Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum