menacinglemon
Epyk MD
Artimise Flare
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Game of thrones novels? Empty Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-14, 19:53

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I'm looking for inspiration and reference material for my own book and was wondering about this particular series.

Everyone in my office keeps raving about the TV series, but I'd like to read the books first before I get into the TV adaption.

How is it? Is it worth the time? As some of you know, my novel uses a lot of subterfuge, deceit and politics to drive the story, while it's not immediately apparent, I'd like to see a story that does something similar, GoT apparently follows this type of structure very closely.

Is it worth the money to buy the collection? It certainly has me very intrigued.

2Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-14, 20:04

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

ive only read the first 4.

but its pretty damn good.

3Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-14, 20:12

menacinglemon

menacinglemon

do it

4Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-14, 21:18

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

the books are great.

just... dont get attached to characters, GRRM is a dick XD

5Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-14, 21:24

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Sounds like my kind of author lol. I'm the same way with characters in my novel that I'm writing. I'm bound to have a good number of readers pissed at me, if I get it finished and published.

6Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-14, 21:25

Duck

Duck

eh there's not a whole lot of deceit and politics in it, more like one or two big moments rather than a constant battle of deceit. There's a lot of people that hate each other and have to pretend to play nice anyways i suppose. I only watch the show, but it seems to be it's really fun to watch but I'm not sure what kind of inspiration you could get from it. The characters are all really unique and interesting so you could draw inspiration from that If you happen to have boring characters.

7Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-14, 21:33

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

I really like the show and I've read the 1st book twice (simply because I couldn't remember if I had read it once before and I won a copy from HBO. I had.)

I read a lot, mostly fantasy, and I think it was decent, just not good enough to read another after the first. I think it is actually fairly generic overall (which actually helps it as a show). It is definitely more intrigue and politically filled than action or adventure filled so you probably would really like it.

8Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-14, 22:32

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

While I can't speak for what others think of my characters, I'd like to think they're all pretty likeable (or not depending on whom we're talking about).

I've solved the previous plot hole that I had, but I now discovered another one that's been really bothering me, it seems every time I patch on hole, another pops up. Book one in my series of novels has already been laid out for the most part, its afterwards and some of the key races in my story that seem to be what I'm having issues with as new remedies seem to cause issues with older ideas.

I'll check out the books and see what I think about them, with luck, I'll get some inspiration and some ideas on how to work around my current plot holes.

9Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-15, 01:34

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

It's pretty awesome. I've read all 5 books, waiting for the next one, and I love them. Give them a go. I'm not one to know good writing, masterpieces, and the like so I don't know how much my opinion would matter. I just love the books, and simply like them more than the TV series.

The third book is one of the major points in the saga, in my opinion. I really doubt that the third season of the TV series will manage to be as awesome as the third book.

10Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-15, 01:59

Pariah

Pariah

Metalzoic wrote:I really like the show and I've read the 1st book twice (simply because I couldn't remember if I had read it once before and I won a copy from HBO. I had.)

I read a lot, mostly fantasy, and I think it was decent, just not good enough to read another after the first. I think it is actually fairly generic overall (which actually helps it as a show). It is definitely more intrigue and politically filled than action or adventure filled so you probably would really like it.

Metal, I'd actually recommend the later books more than the first. It's a compelling read, I'll give it that, but GoT ages well. The later books (especially Feast For Crows and A Dance Of Dragons) are a lot better than the first.

11Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-15, 02:04

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Im surprised there have been this many posts and no one has gotten angry he didnt call it "A song of Ice and Fire"

12Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-15, 05:14

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Frostbyrn wrote:Im surprised there have been this many posts and no one has gotten angry he didnt call it "A song of Ice and Fire"

well, i dont like that name lol. i keep calling it a song of fire and ice because thats easier to say Razz

13Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-15, 10:39

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

I'm midway through the 5th book, and I really love the series. The first two are the best and I highly recommend them.

14Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-15, 10:43

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I've really been meaning to watch the show...I've been feeling sad and lonely ever since Walking Dead ended for the 3rd season the other week...have to wait all the way till Oct for season 4

15Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-15, 10:52

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

On;y watched the first 3 episodes but they are really good so far.

16Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-17, 21:59

TexasMace

TexasMace

I absolutely loved the books. Read all five and that little fat man needs to get the rest done already.
Recently started Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles and I am really likin' this shit. I found out that I am of Norse anscestry so the Viking thing is my new fascination and the first book, "The Last Kingdom" is satisfying that need.
Hey Jr., Your not watching Vikings on History channel!? Everyone must see.

17Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-17, 22:09

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEX!

it took me a while to place the avatar, then i saw your name XD

18Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-18, 00:38

TexasMace

TexasMace

ADLI, yOU AWESOME BASTARD, SO INSPIRED TO SEE YOU!

19Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-18, 00:47

Pariah

Pariah

hey Tex.

back on topic, GoT is fantastic. Read it, or just download the pdfs, read those, and then buy them. You'll have a better sense of what you're getting then.

20Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-18, 06:23

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

hey missed you man,we should chump em on battlefield some time lol.

I hadn't even heard of the show but it sounds cool, I really liked the book the 13th warrior when I was back in school about the Vikings.

21Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-18, 11:45

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

JrTapia1991 wrote:hey missed you man,we should chump em on battlefield some time lol.

I hadn't even heard of the show but it sounds cool, I really liked the book the 13th warrior when I was back in school about the Vikings.

13th warrior is a movie, based on a book called Eaters of the Dead.

22Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-19, 23:57

TexasMace

TexasMace

I've read that too, Metal and you get a lot more out of the book than the movie, of course. The book was written after one of his friends told him he couldn't make a classic piece of literature exciting again...Beowulf. LOVE me some "13th Warrior".

23Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-20, 01:26

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Yeah, great book. Great movie too.

Tex if you are getting into Viking type stuff you might want to check out The Blade Itself and its series.
Really good stuff with a strong Viking/Northman element.

And in my opinion far better than Game of thrones.

24Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-20, 01:35

TexasMace

TexasMace

So many Thanks, Metal! I am so on this.
Are you of Norse decsent as well?
I will never get back to my other books the way this is going.

25Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-20, 01:40

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Yes, I'm Swedish and a bit of Russian.

26Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-20, 02:07

TexasMace

TexasMace

Awsome! I am English Norman...I am going to post a video you must see. Good to know you are fellow Norse and more Norse than me.

27Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-20, 12:07

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

*Viking bro-fist!

28Game of thrones novels? Empty Re: Game of thrones novels? 2013-04-20, 20:28

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Well shit, long time no see Tex, how have ya been?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum