New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Daaaamn, I've really liked the Name of the Wind

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

I started reading it about 1 month ago, when I traveled to the UK since I had heard some of you guys recommend it, and I'd already read about it somewhere.

I was into it from the beginning, but not loving it or anything. I read it bit by bit when I had a chance, but about 1 or 2 weeks ago I had been at about 2/5's of the book, and just couldn't stop reading it. I'm almost at the very end, just some pages left to go. And I don't want the darn thing to end. I'll have to fight myself against getting the second book, just the re-read this one and catch all of the small things I probably missed.

It's really, really good. I have but one complaint, and if I have to be honest, I think it's a major flaw in the story. At least for me.

Fucking Kvothe is too damn perfect. I do not know what term to use, but I'm not really into the whole "I can do anything perfectly (except women apparently)" kind of character. Dude is just overpowered and it leads to some ridiculous shit. It's like reading about someone owning noobs with a pre-patch M60 + Magnum Ammo in BC2.

I've liked everything other than that, and even then I just kind of ignore it since even if he's like that, he doesn't manage to piss me off like most "perfect" characters do, and is even likable.

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Yeah. One of the best fantasy books... ever probably.
You're right that he is incredibly competent, but I think he has a pretty good backstory of why he is so determined and self-sufficient. They are kind of painting the picture that he is the man of the age and extremely famous. He grows quite a bit more competent and dangerous in book 2...

Third book should be done soon. Can't wait.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Oh yes, I agree there. At least you get to know how he manages it. I was still a bit skeptical at his incredible talent for anything and everything, but I'm all right accepting that anyone fairly intelligent, with enough time (which he obviously had), can be pretty good at at least half of what he did.

Spoiler:

Anyway, glad I read it, and now I'm even more excited for whatever Rothfuss does in Torment: Tides of Numenera. I also can't wait to read the second book but I just HAVE to read the first one again.

MEGA MILK

MEGA MILK

The term you're looking for is "Gary Stu".

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Yes, you got it. I don't really know much about literature, and it slipped my mind. I only remembered Mary Sue.

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Some poop face wrote:On July 18, 2013, Twentieth Century Fox announced that the Kingkiller Chronicles have been optioned for a TV series. The production team includes Eric Heisserer, Arnon Milchan, Andrew Plotkin, Brad Weston, and Robert Lawrence.[6]
I just found this while looking for the release date of the final book. TV series? Not even a fucking movie? What was he thinking? I'm sure it will turn out horrid.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

It depends, really. A movie would be too short, unless they made like 3 movies, each about 3 hours long. And even then they would cut shit out... I hate that.

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

i cant remember if shes in the first book or not...

Spoiler:

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Yeah, she's in the first book. Doesn't appear much, but she's interesting.

Some dude wrote what I was feeling but couldn't put in words:

my problem with Kvothe isn't that he has no flaws. It's that his flaws are really annoying rather than being something we hope he overcomes. And, the fact that he is the best at almost everything is just unrealistic and boring. It makes the problems he gets into seem not important--we know that he will get out of them easily because he is pretty much like a god in that he knows everything and does everything superbly
I still liked it though.

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Some dude wrote:my problem with Kvothe isn't that he has no flaws. It's that his flaws are really annoying rather than being something we hope he overcomes. And, the fact that he is the best at almost everything is just unrealistic and boring. It makes the problems he gets into seem not important--we know that he will get out of them easily because he is pretty much like a god in that he knows everything and does everything superbly
Sounds just like me.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

The dude that wrote it, or the description of Kvothe Very Happy?

Pariah

Pariah

Epyk MD wrote:i cant remember if shes in the first book or not...

Spoiler:
I'm still waiting on
Spoiler:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum