Pariah
Bla125
Ars Diaboli
Artimise Flare
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Sadly, the time is fast approaching that my personal library of books to read is beginning to dwindle, and I'm looking for something new to read.

Part of this is for inspiration for my own novels. So far I'm debating on reading the Hobbit and the LotR series or perhaps looking into The Game of Thrones series.

Do any of you have some suggestions of other titles I might be interested in? Sci-fi and Fantasy is what I'm looking for, but I'm also considering perhaps some of Sir Arthur Doyle's work with Sherlock Holmes, since my books actually take some inspiration from his style.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

A Song of Ice and Fire is pretty damn good. It's like reading through a legend, or some shit.

I've read good stuff about the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons and have them in my backlog. It looks like sci-fi space stuff, and they will be the next thing I read once I get and finish a Wise Man's Fear. You may also want to check that one out... the Name of the Wind and a Wise Man's Fear, from the Kingkiller Chronicles.

LotR and the Hobbit were a bit hard for me to read and so I never really finished either. I wasn't all that much into the writing style, but maybe that was just me.

That's the closest I can think of in regards to what you are asking for.

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Thanks Ars, do they offer any of the ones you mentioned in hard cover? I prefer hard cover books over the paper backs for some odd reason. Something very appealing to seeing an entire series lined up in that fashion.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Yeah man. I actually have a hard cover set of the first 4 books from a Song of Ice and Fire. It's nifty Very Happy I got them as a gift, but I know they were bought from Amazon so you may want to check them out there.

I know that the KingKiller Chronicles also have hardcover versions, but I have not seen any of 'em. I want the hardcover versions too, I know your feel bro.

And Hyperion should also have some too since it seems to have a bit of a classic status.

Edit: Found them
http://www.amazon.com/George-Hardcover-featuring-Thrones-Exclusive/dp/0307292134/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-2&qid=1381723186

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Viva la bookworms bro! Very cool that you got several of them for xmas Very Happy, it's also nice to see that book reading hasn't died out, so many people seem to prefer TV or what have you over proper literature.

Anyway, what's the King killer chronicles all about? Is it one of those political suspense deals where there is a lot of scheming and such?

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Fuck yeah, man! Reading Very Happy! I actually wasn't that much of a book reader, but I just had yet to find my niche... which is fantasy and sci-fi apparently. I also really liked the Cthulhu Mythos, and Bram's Stoker Dracula, so that's another shit I should check out more often I guess.

I actually got those as a present from my ex. Feels kinda bad because we broke up soon after... <_< but well, that's how it goes I guess.

The KingKiller Chronicles, from what I've read (the first book), isn't what you think. The scheming and all political shit is more up a Song of Ice and Fire's alley. Anyway, it basically seems to follow the story of how one man becomes a hero, and what separates the legend, the myth, from reality. How he goes from being a kid (a rather brilliant one, but a kid nonetheless), to grow and eventually do legendary shit, which bit by bit is distorted by others, or some even plain fake. It gets to the point where some laud him as a hero, and some other call him an assassin. It's really good and my only complaint is the "perfection" of the main character.

And yeah man, really, the TV series are all right but the books are just so much better for me. I think they compliment each other nicely, but definitely... books are better. They just give you way more depth as a story.

Bla125

Bla125

I like reading. I just don't like fictional books. <3 you Frost.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

What do you read Bla? History?

I actually read technical shit, too. But half of that isn't particularly fun to read...

Pariah

Pariah

Of the books I have here with me at college:

LotR, always a good choice.
Dune. God-tier sci-fi in my opinion. The series falls off hard after #1, but I personally felt it was worth a read.
Shadow of the Wind. Historical fiction, but written so beautifully it gives me goose bumps.
The Reality Dysfunction. Adli recommended it a while ago, very good Space Opera-style sci-fi.
If you're a fan of Star Wars, the Darth Bane trilogy is amazing.
Discworld. This entire series is just amazing.
Ringworld. Also amazing. Different style though, more sci-fi, less fantasy.

At home:
Epic, Saga and Edda by Conor Kostick. Based around settings from cyberpunk to fantasy, great series for killing some time.
The Art of War. Not an entertaining book, but everyone should read it.
If you have the patience, check out some of the Forgotten Realms books, they're pretty good.
Also, I second A Song of Ice and Fire. You won't wanna put it down.

Bla125

Bla125

I read anything that I can learn something from. I love you 

sheep

sheep

The Sherlock Holmes books are awesome.  You can get them for free via kindle app if you have a smart phone.  Nice to have on hand for when you get stuck somewheres.  Actually you can get a lot of classics for free via the kindle app (and I would assume in turn a kindle, but I don't have one so I don't know).

Another one for Fire and Ice.  And.  Uh.  I can't think of any series right now that might not be too "girly".  Shadow of the Wind is an epically fucking awesomesauce book though and everyone should read it.

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

The assassins trilogy by robin hobb?

Not as assassiny as it sounds.

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

sheep wrote:The Sherlock Holmes books are awesome.  You can get them for free via kindle app if you have a smart phone.  Nice to have on hand for when you get stuck somewheres.  Actually you can get a lot of classics for free via the kindle app (and I would assume in turn a kindle, but I don't have one so I don't know).

Another one for Fire and Ice.  And.  Uh.  I can't think of any series right now that might not be too "girly".  Shadow of the Wind is an epically fucking awesomesauce book though and everyone should read it.
If it's a good book I'm willing to read it, I'm open enough to give most books a chance at the very least. If it sucks, well, I'll have something to talk about lol.

As for the Sherlock Holmes books, I'm weird, I like the actual feel of a real book in my hands, the act of turning the page is something enjoyable and almost therapeutic for me. While the Kindle is indeed very convenient, I prefer real books over digital ones for some reason.

I'll have to check some of the ones you mentioned out sometime. I don't have the money right now to buy any new books at this time unfortunately, so now it's just determining what I want to read next lol.

MEGA MILK

MEGA MILK

I'll vouch for the Hyperion Cantos, and anything else Dan Simmons has written.

Khfan60

Khfan60

I haven't read it, but my english teacher recommended me the Dark Tower series. Seems pretty cool

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum