New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Buying more expensive doesn't always mean it's better, bro's HDD died

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

My bro's pc started loading slow as hell and I checked it with Hard Disk Sentinel and it says his Western Digital Black 7200rpm 1tb HDD only has 15% health on it

my shitty slow cheap samsung and other laptop HDDs and even cheap seagate haven't died *knocks on wood, praise the spaghetti monster*

about to call them up, I bet they want me to pay to ship their broken HDD back to them though...bleh. He's gonna get an SSD as his main drive now....told him worst comes to worst he can run linux off a flạsh drive Razz

I just thought it was funny that, out of every hard drive in my life, the one touted as supposedly the best and most reliable, is the first to ever die.

RStudios

Ive never had a problem with WD, infact i have one in my system thats over 10 year old haha.... data hoarder Razz

StormEye

StormEye

I recently pulled out one 2 year'ish old 2tb WD HDD from NAS to shove it into my PC, since I got 4tb for NAS (still need to get another one for proper RAID). It seems that either the one I pulled from NAS is dying, or the one in my PC (also a WD HDD, 1tb 3 years old), since I try to to HDD clone and the program refused at last minute due to possibility of disk corruption/malfunction.

HDD is the most unreliable part in the PC, but is quite important (though it depends on what you use it for) and used constantly. Pretty much the worst combo. LoL

SSD is the way to go, and despite some people think that you will not be able to use SSD if you constantly use it, but you have to do some kind of server grade work to burn up your SSD and even that takes longer time than HDD failure. Price is the only concern...

1tb Samsung 840 EVO basically cost me an equivalent value of a cheap gaming PC / current gen console...

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

my bro was thinking of getting the 240gb crucial m500 ssd.

WD emailed me back and they want me to mail the broken HDD back to them in fancy packaging and to pay to ship it back, idk if it's worth the trouble...I've never had a pc HDD die on me personally before, then again I just browse internet and listen to music and play games off steam.

I heard the enterprise grade WD RE4 HDD is quite reliable and sturdy. I thought it was weird my cheap seagate and toshiba hdd's outlived his. He still has an old 2.5" 5400rpm 250gb laptop hdd from his old laptop that died.

I could honestly probably make a 1tb HDD last me many many years if not forever if I just deleted old games I wasn't playing Razz

Pariah

Pariah

StormEye wrote:but you have to do some kind of server grade work to burn up your SSD and even that takes longer time than HDD failure. Price is the only concern...

explain this a little further? What exactly causes an SSD to degrade? I got a 120gb Samsung Pro for my new system, and I run my programs on it. I know not to auto-defrag that drive, what else would be a good preventative measure to make sure the drive doesn't go ass end up?

StormEye

StormEye

Pariah wrote:
StormEye wrote:but you have to do some kind of server grade work to burn up your SSD and even that takes longer time than HDD failure. Price is the only concern...

explain this a little further? What exactly causes an SSD to degrade? I got a 120gb Samsung Pro for my new system, and I run my programs on it. I know not to auto-defrag that drive, what else would be a good preventative measure to make sure the drive doesn't go ass end up?

Basically, your SSD is comprised of bunch of switches. These switches can be turned on and off a set number of times. Reading from them does not do anything much to degrade these switches. Writing, however, does degrade them over time.

There were (I hope not any more) a lot of people making bogeyman claims about having to offload a lot of regular tasks (if not everything) from SSD to HDD because they say that if it is not done, SSD will fail much sooner than expected.

Although, it is true that constant SSD usage will make them fail 'faster', but the amount of data changes on it has to be tremendous to have any sort of real effect.

Just for an example,the 120GB Vertex 3 SSD has a write endurance rating of 3,000 cycles. If you write 50GB on the drive daily, the total number of days the drive will last before becoming unreliable is: (120 x 3,000)/50 = 7,200 days, which is about 20 years. If you write an average of 100GB a day, the drive would last about 10 years.

You will change your SSD for upgrade, or something else breaks (like controller chip), before those times are up...

Also, if you accidentally defragged, don't worry about it. As long as you are not doing that every single day, its not going to affect much at all.

Anyway, you have Samsung Pro series, which are supposed to be 'Pro' grade and is MEANT to have constant usage almost non-stop. Its built with even better parts than regular SSDs, which means it will have much better endurance. Though, I don't think Pro series offer anything in decent size (at least in my view).

In short, don't think about it. More you think about it, and try to do something to it to prevent something, the more you will waste time and possibly do something more stupid.

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

right. The only thing I changed on my SSD was I moved the browser cache to the HDD simply because it swells up to 5gb+ for me quickly on chrome and firefox, it was to save space. I have the regular Samsung 840 which many claimed would die quicker due to it's TLC nand flạsh chips but I read a study a guy did where he basically wrote I think 1tb a day worth of data constantly to the SSD and it was still going after 700tbs. In maybe I'd guess 2 years at the most 1tb SSDs will be around $100 it's a mute point for me Razz

250gb SSDs are already going for the ~$115 that 120gbs ssd's were going for last year, later this year the 500gb should drop very much in price, and then next year maybe the 1tb will drop much cheaper

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum