Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are there any musicians/bands you absolutely love, despite them playing music in a genre you absolutely hate?

+7
chunckylover53
Ron Swanson
Shinma
HydrasBreath ♜
The Adli Corporation
Ante
Dropped Da Soap
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Dropped Da Soap

Dropped Da Soap

For me, I fucking hate Country, with a fiery passion.

But I just LOVE Garth Brooks. I just don't know why.

Like I can listen to him all day long and not get tired of him. And I own all his cds physically.

Hell, his song Ireland is in my top 20 songs of all time

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SxJJVZ0uW9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ante

Ante

I hate pretty much all modern rap, but I love Eminem.

Not really.

Alice in Chains maybe......I hate grunge/radio rock but I love them, so I dunno.

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

not really. there are individual songs i love in genres i hate though. example:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6R9FfC0Sen8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wXVQNSlFJ6M?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

also, i dont mind decent remixes of good songs. shit remixes of classics piss me off, but remakes of modern tracks can be really good:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y2t7Axa1QhM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

not that I can really say. I'm not so much a fan of country but I do like Johnny Cash and David Allan Coe but I don't like all their stuff so I don't know if that counts.

Shinma

Shinma

Not really. My musical taste is very diverse so I can't really say there are any genres I "hate".

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

eh not really. I have a band I love that is definetly outside of my general interests.

Iron Horse, they are a bluegrass cover band and they are great. I love their Modest Mouse covers the most.

Dropped Da Soap

Dropped Da Soap

Terry, you get AC for mentioning Iron Horse.

I discovered them about two weeks ago, and their cover of Metallica was all I listened to for about 3 days straight.

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

their Guns n Roses covers are also quite good.

chunckylover53

I don't really have any hate for certain genres. Music is just so different and like anything in life people always like options.

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

AC for anyone who likes Iron Horse!

Chewy

Chewy

Yeah there's no genres I hate unless you include narrow subgenres.

But I mean I'm not a huge fan of southern rock but I really like Widespread Panic.

Dropped Da Soap

Dropped Da Soap

I am with you on the same thing Sym.

I hate Rap, Country and most(NEW)rock.

Oldies like Creedance Clearwater, GnR, Queen, AC/DC, and other bands from that ear that is played on the radio, I grew up listening to.

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

yeah I don't like radio rock either. I do enjoy Foo Fighters though...Dave Grohl's whole attitude and stance on music and the industry is awesome.

They made the last Foo Fighters album in his garage on analogue tape cause they wanted to prove you could make awesome sounding music without a million dollar studio and pro tools-ing the fuck out of everything. I find that very admirable.

Last edited by HydrasBreath on 2012-09-04, 19:23; edited 1 time in total

I should have prefaced that by saying Ill listen to anything that takes talent to create. But sadly 95% of all music is processed garbage devoid of any musical skill.

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

Sym wrote:I should have prefaced that by saying Ill listen to anything that takes talent to create. But sadly 95% of all music is processed garbage devoid of any musical skill.

amen to that. The state of the music industry right now is fucking pathetic. Has been for years really.

Zillah

Zillah

Im not a fan of hip hop at all, but I really love Ludacris for some reason...

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

oh I just thought of something...I really really shouldn't like Die Antword. I should hate it but for some reason I don't. One of my friends would always play it in her car and it just kind of grew on me.

Gary Effin' Oak.

Gary Effin' Oak.

Metal...hair metal...power metal...you name it, if it has metal in it...I probably hope it drowns in a sack like an unwanted kitten.

That being said....Yngwie Malmsteen is pretty dope. He does cheesy lyrics and overactive guitar right...god bless you good sir.

Yngwie is not metal.

LOL

Also how can you hate the most musically diverse, eclectic and complex music in the world?

Oh and obligatory Rockin!

Gary Effin' Oak.

Gary Effin' Oak.

Its pretty blah. Ill listen to anything else...including country over Metal. And if Yngwie isnt metal then that means all hope is lost for the genre as it pertains to me.

Edit: The guy is totally power metal...I call shenanigans on you!

Malsteem is just a solo artist for the most part. He plays neo classical guitar, with metal style leads. Massive douche, but really good guitar player.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QhLqjcOJQR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also hes more classical than anything. He has some metal inspirations, but they arent a central part to his music. Also alot of rockabilly in there as well.

Last edited by Sym on 2012-09-04, 21:02; edited 1 time in total

Ante

Ante

Sym wrote:Yngwie is not metal.

LOL

Also how can you hate the most musically diverse, eclectic and complex music in the world?

Metal's actually a pretty stagnant genre right now, if you ask me. It's all the same dick-wagging contest to see who can shred/double bass faster. All technical prowess and no soul. This is coming from someone who used to like the genre, but grew tired of it over time. The only metal bands I still have any interest in are Meshuggah, Gojira, and Between the Buried and Me.

Gary Effin' Oak.

Gary Effin' Oak.

I'd be douchey too.

I dont think the genre is devoid of talent...just not my thing. I like indie/post rockish/punk off shoots. You can argue its kids in a basement, yelling into a mic for attention. I think its beautiful.

To each their own...Except Coldplay...Fuck you.

Edit: Ante...I want to unleash the beast all over you right now in the sexiest way possible. BTBAM is pretty great...least Post-colors.<3

Last edited by Gary Effin' Oak. on 2012-09-04, 21:04; edited 1 time in total

Ante wrote:
Sym wrote:Yngwie is not metal.

LOL

Metal's actually a pretty stagnant genre right now, if you ask me. It's all the same dick-wagging contest to see who can shred/double bass faster. All technical prowess and no soul. This is coming from someone who used to like the genre, but grew tired of it over time. The only metal bands I still have any interest in are Meshuggah, Gojira, and Between the Buried and Me.

Metal is actually stronger now than it has been in years, maybe forever. There are tons of GREAT bands, you just gotta look for them admist the sea of scene bands these days.

You guys know how much I love it lol. Im about as big a metal head as they come.

Gary Effin' Oak. wrote:I'd be douchey too.

I dont think the genre is devoid of talent...just not my thing. I like indie/post rockish/punk off shoots. You can argue its kids in a basement, yelling into a mic for attention. I think its beautiful.

To each their own...Except Coldplay...Fuck you.

Thats how I describe metal- chaotic beauty

Gary Effin' Oak.

Gary Effin' Oak.

I like the scene side bastardization of metal, minus all the autotune.

Gary Effin' Oak. wrote:I like the scene side bastardization of metal, minus all the autotune.

Crying or Very sad

Gary Effin' Oak.

Gary Effin' Oak.

Im sorry! Its catchy at times....dont judge me...its not dubstep!

I just imagined a solitary tear running down Sym's face and nearly pee'd myself.

Gary Effin' Oak. wrote:Im sorry! Its catchy at times....dont judge me...its not dubstep!

I just imagined a solitary tear running down Sym's face and nearly pee'd myself.

I did almost tear, man.

Thats such a travesty to hear such things Very Happy

Truthfully the scene bands themselves arent so bad, its the fans that annoy me. Like Job for a Cowboy fans, or Veil of Maya. Bands like that.

Zillah

Zillah

the problem i have with metal is that the only emotion it seems to convey is angst, and I dont always want to feel angsty.

The same could be said for rap too, I guess

Gary Effin' Oak.

Gary Effin' Oak.

Isnt it the same with everything? Rarely are the products without merit...its the community that ruins their name.

And Zillah...ill punch you in the eye. Angst in rap is a newer phenomenon...feelings have always and will forever be woman stuff. I blame Eminem for making people think its cool to feel stuff. Well, Drake....definitely drake.

Zillah wrote:the problem i have with metal is that the only emotion it seems to convey is angst, and I dont always want to feel angsty.

The same could be said for rap too, I guess

Fair criticism.

Its not for everybody, thats for sure.

There are bands that have positive lyrics though, like Gojira.

Gary Effin' Oak. wrote:Isnt it the same with everything? Rarely are the products without merit...its the community that ruins their name.

And Zillah...ill punch you in the eye. Angst in rap is a newer phenomenon...feelings have always and will forever be woman stuff. I blame Eminem for making people think its cool to feel stuff. Well, Drake....definitely drake.

My beef for rap is it takes so little musical talent.

Anybody who says otherwise has no idea what they are talking about.

Sounds dickish, buts its true.

Ill leave it at that....

IMO of course

Chewy

Chewy

Sym wrote:
Gary Effin' Oak. wrote:Isnt it the same with everything? Rarely are the products without merit...its the community that ruins their name.

Ill leave it at that....

IMO of course

To rap with a constant flow and actually sound good is actually pretty difficult... If you think otherwise then I challenge you to a rap battle.

Chewy wrote:
Sym wrote:

Ill leave it at that....

IMO of course

To rap with a constant flow and actually sound good is actually pretty difficult... If you think otherwise then I challenge you to a rap battle.

I would get worked Very Happy

I challenge you to a shred off afterwords!

Chewy

Chewy

Dude I can shred the shit out of the E string. I'm almost as good as Lil Wayne.

Gary Effin' Oak.

Gary Effin' Oak.

I think thats fair because most people today think that its all about rhyming two words and throwing adlibs.

It focuses on what is being said and how and the music. Its barebones at its finest and an avalanche of autotune and adlibs and senseless noise at its worse. Just a matter of wading through the filth. Ill always maintain that the best rap was pre-2004.

Course im a rap hipster so im bad...and like my rap socially conscious...and not presented by dropout and wanna be tupac clones.

Chewy wrote:Dude I can shred the shit out of the E string. I'm almost as good as Lil Wayne.

LMAO

Another major turn off for rap for me is the lyrical content

Granted I know its not every artist, but when exactly did it become cool to be a gangster?

Gary Effin' Oak.

Gary Effin' Oak.

Since NWA became a huge deal. They were socially conscious and angry but mostly angry. Everyone just really remembers the angry. Oh oh and after watching too much Scarface.

Chewy

Chewy

Sym wrote:Another major turn off for rap for me is the lyrical content

Granted I know its not every artist, but when exactly did it become cool to be a gangster?

About 1986 I think.

Haha

You could say the same about any genre. But I can usually relate to metal lyrics. I cannot relate to rap in any way shape or from.

Im a white boy, born in the suburbs of Akron, Ohio, who love the most extreme of all metal.

Gary Effin' Oak.

Gary Effin' Oak.

Thats the beauty of rap...there is a subculture for the white suburbanites and everyone else for that matter.

Ante

Ante

This is the kind of rap I can enjoy. Not enough of it out there anymore...

One genre I love that alot of people would be surprised by is blues.

Gary Effin' Oak.

Gary Effin' Oak.

Ante, check out Logic. He is a pretty legit rapper and stupidly positive and a pretty nice fellow to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEDg52Rqo2U

^make that happen

Zillah

Zillah

Gary Effin' Oak. wrote:ll always maintain that the best rap was pre-2004.

I agree. I guess I should say that I dont have a problem with rap (I actually posted a rap song inthe music thread the other day...), but where it stands right now. Pretty much the only thing rapped about now is money, hoes, and the hood life.

I actually like rap from the 90's, it has a less in your face sound and isn't just bragging about money and bitches

Gary Effin' Oak.

Gary Effin' Oak.

All that bothers me is the metaphors that dont make sense....I cant keep up sometimes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum