Pariah
Frostbyrn
Patrick Star
menacinglemon
Artimise Flare
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 01:22

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

It seems that most people of my age and younger have lost the appreciation of reading books.

Many tell me that it's boring and it puts them to sleep, or that they're just not as interesting as movies and such.

While I'll agree that there are things film can capture better, there is a simple joy of creating a world and the faces of the hero's you hold so dear in the realm that lays within your mind.

It's saddening that it seems many of my generation are losing what I think is a vital part of art and entertainment in their lives.

Also, I may be somewhat old school in this, but I always seem to prefer to have an actual physical copy in front of me. There is something about the smell of paper and the act of turning a page that makes the experience all the more enjoyable.

Artimise the shameless book worm Razz

Last edited by Artimise Flare on 2012-09-30, 03:08; edited 1 time in total

menacinglemon

menacinglemon

I just like reading..and paper doesnt hurt my eyes....thats about it...and most books are not interesting...like people claim Margaret Atwood is a great writer...literally all her books are horrid and hurt to read.

Patrick Star

Patrick Star

I agree with what you're saying Reading makes you smart so i guess that's why my generations is the way it is huh? I used to hate reading until it became a requirement in school. now that I've found some authors i enjoy I've really been liking reading lately.

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Reading is bad for my health

I spend like hours reading not drinking,not eating and not sleeping

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I just noticed I got 3 AC points (I think I was at 27 last time I looked at it), wonder when I got them lol.

While I do enjoy reading, one of my biggest issues with books as a medium is when you find a bad book, or one that you just do not enjoy. Unlike a movie or even a game, a book is a much longer commitment. This has caused me to be much more cautious of what I read in my free time because of the sheer investment some books require. I would like to say that books are still king when it comes to telling a deep intricate story though. In reference to what you said about physical books, I personally prefer reading on my nexus 7 just because it is easier to hold and I can read just about anywhere with ease.

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I've found myself on several occasions looking at investing into a Kindle or something. Honestly, as of late I don't have a ton of time to devote to my books, so I usually find myself reading a few pages every time I go to visit the porcelain throne.

Pariah

Pariah

*reads three or four books a week*

I have an e-reader, and over 5000 books in my home library in hardcopy. I'm with you on this Art.

Pariah wrote:*reads three or four books a week*

I have an e-reader, and over 5000 books in my home library in hardcopy. I'm with you on this Art.

Wow, that is a lot of books. I must ask, what is that collection valued at?

10Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 06:39

StormEye

StormEye

I am also looking into getting some sort of tablet PC for e-reading.

As of now, I am reading some books on my phone but its just too hard to stare at a small screen for so long, despite it be only for commuting to work.

11Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 06:53

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

i agree, and it sucks, not just because others are missing out, but because the really awesome second-hand bookshop in my town went out of business Sad

ill have to bring some of my huge books/series back up to Uni, i have more free-time than i expected Razz

12Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 08:57

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

I vouch for the kindle. Love that shit.

13Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 11:20

Pariah

Pariah

Tom wrote:
Pariah wrote:*reads three or four books a week*

Wow, that is a lot of books. I must ask, what is that collection valued at?

Haven't a clue, even I've never read all the books we own. My dad used to be a huge bookworm too, same as my mum, so they literally never throw books away. I have about 250 of my own books in hardcopy, maybe 120 or so in digital. The rest are either in the house library, or in Serbia.

14Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 11:46

Khfan60

Khfan60

I like reading. Im finally getting around to reading the Harry Potter books

15Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 11:47

Pariah

Pariah

Khfan60 wrote:I like reading. Im finally getting around to reading the Harry Potter books

hence Bonnie Wright as your avatar?

16Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 11:49

Khfan60

Khfan60

It never occurred to me until recently how hot she was.

That and I like Ginny, and how the whole relationship between her and Harry goes full circle in Half Blood Prince, which is why im starting with that one.

17Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 11:51

Pariah

Pariah

Hold up, read Order of the Phoenix first. It really sets up their relationship, it adds a lot imo.

18Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 11:55

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

this is going to sounds crazy... but why don't you start with The Philosophers Stone?

19Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 11:57

Pariah

Pariah

The Adli Corporation wrote:this is going to sounds crazy... but why don't you start with The Philosophers Stone?

Lovins too cool to read series in order, c'mon Adli.

Razz

20Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 12:14

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

The Adli Corporation wrote:this is going to sounds crazy... but why don't you start with The Philosophers Stone?

Book reading, a dieing art. SS

21Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 13:01

Mrs. Terry of Hat

Mrs. Terry of Hat

I agree...I usually read four or five books a week, depending on my free time. I am one of those people that loves to read books over and over and over though, haha! I just finished Hush, and started My Name is Not Easy... both very good and I would highly recommend if you are interested in cultural differences and things like that!

I have a Kindle Fire and I love it...there is absolutely nothing like reading a book on paper (I have probably around 750+, I've never counted), but for convenience sake I read on my Kindle a lot. For example, I finished three books between my plane rides last week and I don't usually have room to pack as many books as I can read, haha!

22Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 13:07

Duck

Duck

I like to read but its hard to find good authors. The top 10 on google play books and barnes and nobles are all variations of 50 Shades of Gray.

I usually just read whatever i can find that i havent already read by orson scott card, stephen king, terry pratchet, or robert ludlum.

23Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 13:18

menacinglemon

menacinglemon

My favourite series is Orphanage (cant remember the other 4 book names) its sci-fi -ish.

My favourite individual book is World War Z

My favourite series to read just because I feel like a have too (guilty pleasure) ALL THE HALO related books...lol

24Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 13:19

menacinglemon

menacinglemon

Epyk wrote:

Book reading, a dieing art. SS

Book reading, a dieing art. Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher%27s_Stone

25Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 13:28

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

my picture is bigger, so its obviously the correct one.

26Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 13:38

menacinglemon

menacinglemon

nope

27Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 13:42

Shinma

Shinma

Artimise Flare wrote:Also, I may be somewhat old school in this, but I always seem to prefer to have an actual physical copy in front of me. There is something about the smell of paper and the act of turning a page that makes the experience all the more enjoyable.

AC +1

I even own a kindle that my dad bought me a few years back, but I just can't bring myself to use it because of this reason. Not a big fan of paperback either, hardcover all the way. I hardly ever lend my books to anyone either because I know how people are and I'm very anal about my books >.> If by some miracle I lend you something, I will hand you a bookmark and read off guidelines lol.

28Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 13:43

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Epyk wrote:my picture is bigger, so its obviously the correct one.

the name was changed for the US version. no idea why Rolling Eyes

29Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 13:53

Chewy

Chewy

US Version = Correct version. Regardless of the order of things. Because America is always right.

30Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 13:58

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Chewy wrote:US Version = Correct version. Regardless of the order of things. Because America is always right.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k0RH0cYs4lw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very Happy

31Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 14:11

Chewy

Chewy

Do I have to bring out the Jeremy Kyle videos Adli??

32Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 14:29

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Chewy wrote:Do I have to bring out the Jeremy Kyle videos Adli??

yes, yes you do Very Happy

33Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 14:38

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Shinma wrote:
Artimise Flare wrote:Also, I may be somewhat old school in this, but I always seem to prefer to have an actual physical copy in front of me. There is something about the smell of paper and the act of turning a page that makes the experience all the more enjoyable.

AC +1

I even own a kindle that my dad bought me a few years back, but I just can't bring myself to use it because of this reason. Not a big fan of paperback either, hardcover all the way. I hardly ever lend my books to anyone either because I know how people are and I'm very anal about my books >.> If by some miracle I lend you something, I will hand you a bookmark and read off guidelines lol.

Lol, I'm the same way. There are times when I'll get a crease in the cover (most of my books are paper back due to them being cheaper) and I'll go off and donate it to a library just to by a new one. If there is one major button that I hate being pushed is when people abuse books, especially MY books. The whole finger licking to turn the page and folding the corner to save their place drives me nuts!

34Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 16:12

Pariah

Pariah

The Adli Corporation wrote:
Chewy wrote:US Version = Correct version. Regardless of the order of things. Because America is always right.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k0RH0cYs4lw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very Happy

My faith in humanity is lost once more.

35Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 16:14

Duck

Duck

Very Happy

these videos annoy me. You can find stupid people in any country.

Also I don't really get what's significant about people not recognizing the prime minister of australia. Why would anyone care about whos in charge of australia.

36Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 16:35

Patrick Star

Patrick Star

Very Happy
I feel a lot less stupid now.
Also, I've really been a big fan of the News Flesh series by Mira Grant.It's about reporters in a post zombie Apocalypse world that try to tell the truth. They uncover a huge government conspiracy and go to great lengths to try to figure out who's behind it. Three books out already i'm waiting for the 4th which is going to be E book only.

37Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 16:37

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Camel wrote:I feel a lot less stupid now.

thats the entire point of these videos Very Happy

38Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 16:40

Pariah

Pariah

Camel wrote:
Also, I've really been a big fan of the News Flesh series by Mira Grant.It's about reporters in a post zombie Apocalypse world that try to tell the truth. They uncover a huge government conspiracy and go to great lengths to try to figure out who's behind it. Three books out already i'm waiting for the 4th which is going to be E book only.

There's a fourth coming?! Damn, can't wait!!

though it was seriously fucked up when
Spoiler:

39Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 16:41

Khfan60

Khfan60

Pariah wrote:Hold up, read Order of the Phoenix first. It really sets up their relationship, it adds a lot imo.

Im already ~130 pages in Sad

Pariah wrote:

Lovins too cool to read series in order, c'mon Adli.

Razz

That.

After I finish though, i'll go in order.

40Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 16:45

Pariah

Pariah

nvm then just go for it.

Also, be prepared for some major WTFs in Deathly Hallows.

41Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 16:50

Siren

Siren

Pariah's getting me back into reading, I used to read a lot when I was younger and then when I picked up drawing and painting I kinda dropped reading...but I'll never be able to go through more than one book a week XD

42Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 17:10

Patrick Star

Patrick Star

Pariah wrote:
Camel wrote:

There's a fourth coming?! Damn, can't wait!!

though it was seriously fucked up when
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

43Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 17:13

chunckylover53

ITT: Nerds

-throws a football at camel's chest-

44Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 17:15

Mrs. Terry of Hat

Mrs. Terry of Hat

Artimise Flare wrote:
Shinma wrote:

AC +1

Lol, I'm the same way. There are times when I'll get a crease in the cover (most of my books are paper back due to them being cheaper) and I'll go off and donate it to a library just to by a new one. If there is one major button that I hate being pushed is when people abuse books, especially MY books. The whole finger licking to turn the page and folding the corner to save their place drives me nuts!

Man, you guys do not want to see some of my books...they are very well-loved, haha. I read in the bathtub, I fold pages over (I always lose my bookmarks), I crinkle and crease everything you can possibly crinkle and crease...I think it just proves that I actually read them, haha.

45Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 17:19

Siren

Siren

For that reason I always hate borrowing books from people that are like, brand new and paperback. Because I know that I'll crease the spine or bend up the cover or just do something to the poor book u . u

46Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 18:08

MEGA MILK

MEGA MILK

Reading is alright I guess.

Only stuff I've gotten into recently was the Dune series and Bakemono light novels.

47Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 18:17

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Dune is a great series.
also, check out:

Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained (aka Commonwealth Saga)
The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist and The Naked God (aka Nights Dawn Trilogy).

both series (both written by Peter F Hamilton) are really good sci-fi Very Happy

48Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 18:23

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I haven't read a book in awhile, I guess since nothing has really interested me in awhile, I too would rather have the actual book in front of me instead of an e-book or something,it just feels better to read the actual book I guess.

Last one I started on was The Shimmer by David Morrell (guy who wrote Rambo)

I really like zombie/horror stuff.I'll check out that News Flesh stuff...sounds really interesting.

would amazon be the best place to get cheap books?I don't mind getting used books so much,most of mine are well worn (got them in big public library sales here,25 cents for a trashbag full lol)

I agree it's kinda sad now days nobody really reads.Well no doubt some do,but......most of the kids now days are more interested in Jersey Shore and "swag"

49Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 18:25

MEGA MILK

MEGA MILK

The Adli Corporation wrote:Dune is a great series.
also, check out:

The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist and The Naked God (aka Nights Dawn Trilogy).

both series (both written by Peter F Hamilton) are really good sci-fi Very Happy

Are those pretentious as fuck? Because that always kinda bothered about Dune. Messiah, Children, and God Emperor were just irritatingly heavy.

50Book reading, a dieing art. Empty Re: Book reading, a dieing art. 2012-09-30, 18:26

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

MEGA MILK wrote:
The Adli Corporation wrote:Dune is a great series.
also, check out:

Are those pretentious as fuck? Because that always kinda bothered about Dune. Messiah, Children, and God Emperor were just irritatingly heavy.

they're not as heavy as Dune, no Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum