+3
Ante
Metalzoic
Pariah
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Pariah

Pariah

Anyone deciding between the two, here's some end-user comparison.

AT&T:
AT&T U-Verse vs. Time Warner Cable 2433783747

Time Warner:
AT&T U-Verse vs. Time Warner Cable 2433806246

Just compared the two of them by switching off (For some reason we have an internet connection through both providers)

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

That's a nice connection you have with Time Warner!

Pariah

Pariah

You should see the difference with our wifi network. My dad's laptop went from 495 ms ping, .2 dl, .25 upload...to 56 ms ping, 27.8 dl, 4.5 upload.

Ante

Ante

time warner is fucking garbage around here

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Pariah wrote:You should see the difference with our wifi network. My dad's laptop went from 495 ms ping, .2 dl, .25 upload...to 56 ms ping, 27.8 dl, 4.5 upload.

Hmmm. Wireless can slow you down that much? Maybe that's why mine is running in the 30's instead of the 50's+? Maybe my connection is just as fast as ever and it's just the fact it's a wireless connection that it's slower?

AT&T U-Verse vs. Time Warner Cable 2433861853

That is my test running wireless right now on a 3 year old Linksys N router from about 50-60 feet away and through a wall.

Actually now that I think about it my previous 50meg speedtests were done wirelessly as well so that can't be it. Then again those tests were done about 5 feet away from the router with no obstructions so maybe that is it...

Could it just be the distance? How does this shit work?

chunckylover53

Most likely the distance.

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

chunckylover53 wrote:Most likely the distance.

Interesting. Maybe I should lug this over there and see how it does then.

chunckylover53

If not just call and complain, had to do it a few times.

I hate my internet provider so much. Turns out they throttle my connection so that when I use speedtest.net or their own speed test, my upload speed is 4x as fast as it really is. They also like to add an extra 5mbps to my download speed when using speedtest.net or their own.

Tom wrote:I hate my internet provider so much. Turns out they throttle my connection so that when I use speedtest.net or their own speed test, my upload speed is 4x as fast as it really is. They also like to add an extra 5mbps to my download speed when using speedtest.net or their own.

I would call and cancel

Sym wrote:
Tom wrote:I hate my internet provider so much. Turns out they throttle my connection so that when I use speedtest.net or their own speed test, my upload speed is 4x as fast as it really is. They also like to add an extra 5mbps to my download speed when using speedtest.net or their own.

I would call and cancel

Well my only options are either Cox or DSL that is 5 times slower than what I am actually getting. I pretty much can't.

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Ok, so I took the computer over by the router to test it.
It did run a tiny bit faster, about 1 or 2 megs faster upload and download, but that's it. I also tried resetting the modem and the router, but that made no difference.

Oh well. At least I now know that distance isn't causing the issue.

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I'm going to call/go to the office tomorrow because my internet speed is supposed to be 10mb download and 1.5upload....tested once before and got 3mb and 0.29 upload.....then did later and it was 5mb and 0.79upload

hooked it straight to the modem and it was still 5mb and 0.90 upload......

so I'm only getting half of what I pay for.Wonder how long it's been like this too

Ante

Ante

ISPs in general are shady as fuck. Especially the ones that have monopolies over the broadband in their area. I really wish Verizon would grow a pair and push Time Warner out of my region.

Ante wrote:ISPs in general are shady as fuck. Especially the ones that have monopolies over the broadband in their area. I really wish Verizon would grow a pair and push Time Warner out of my region.

This is how Comcast is

Shady as a camels hairy ass

menacinglemon

menacinglemon

read your contracts make sure it doesnt say speeds up to...if it says then you are screwed

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

that's what I'm thinking this shitty windjammer is...speeds "up to 10mb and 1.5upload"

Ante wrote:ISPs in general are shady as fuck. Especially the ones that have monopolies over the broadband in their area. I really wish Verizon would grow a pair and push Time Warner out of my region.

I am hoping google fiber expands into my area in the next few years.

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I would totally pay for google 1gb internet

Bla125

Bla125

I have to get myself internet instead of stealing it. Gonna try and get it this week. Looks like Comcast has the best deals... We'll see I guess...

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

I think it's my router or where it is located, because just moving it a couple feet from where it is makes a huge difference.

AT&T U-Verse vs. Time Warner Cable 2435707535

EDIT:
Weird. just moving the modem and router around a bit makes about a 10meg difference. If I put them back where they were it drops back into the low 30 DL range. If I move them just a couple feet my speed launches back up. Obviously something there is interfering with the signal (dimming metal lamp? Leaded glass table? Huge window? Wireless 360, PS3 and Wii?)

AT&T U-Verse vs. Time Warner Cable 2435729819

Pariah

Pariah

this is my school...with like 200 computers running, and an untold number of iphones...

AT&T U-Verse vs. Time Warner Cable 2435995959

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

mother of god...Razz

Pariah

Pariah

HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE?!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum