New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tomb Raider is 50% off on Greenman Gaming and Gamersgate

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

Just a heads up If anyone has been meaning to pick this up now would be a good time.

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I'll play it one day,my backlog is horrible as it is

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

JrTapia1991 wrote:I'll play it one day,my backlog is horrible as it is

Play it sooner rather than later. It is fantastic.

I loaned it to my brother and he just finished it a couple days ago. His verdict was "Jesus Christ! Why can't all games be like that!"

Chewy

Chewy

Metalzoic wrote:
JrTapia1991 wrote:I'll play it one day,my backlog is horrible as it is

Play it sooner rather than later. It is fantastic.

I loaned it to my brother and he just finished it a couple days ago. His verdict was "Jesus Christ! Why can't all games be like that!"

Word.

Really great game. Looks amazing too, although I had to turn TressFX off to get 60fps(it's supposed to run a lot better on AMD cards).

Double Word

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

All right, can someone tell me what's supposed to be good about this game? I'm just 2 hours in, but I can't see it. Does it get better, or something? It's not bad, but... it's also not particularly good either.

I'm at a camp after
Spoiler:
and it's not that much fun yet. Neither story nor characters have hooked me either.

Chewy

Chewy

Ars Diaboli wrote:All right, can someone tell me what's supposed to be good about this game? I'm just 2 hours in, but I can't see it. Does it get better, or something? It's not bad, but... it's also not particularly good either.

I'm at a camp after
Spoiler:
and it's not that much fun yet. Neither story nor characters have hooked me either.

Well the shooting parts increase a large amount if that's worth anything to you. Same with the exploration stuff.

But I liked the exploration aspects, visuals, smooth climbing mechanics (Underworld's made me want to kill myself), and the combat. It's apparently an Uncharted clone but I've never played that game.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

The shooting is pretty bland so far, so not really.

I agree that the visuals are nice.

The exploration can be fun, but the only thing I can think that could make it rewarding and/or fun, is uncovering secrets from the island. I love japanese folklore, so I'm hoping to find more stuff, but that's about it. And even then, so far the game is pretty damn linear so exploration is rather limited. Unless I'm missing something the collectibles are pointless (not taking into account the story/lore based ones which are the only ones I care about at the moment), which is pretty stupid. You know, like the flags in Assassin's Creed.

I wouldn't call it an Uncharted clone. I've played the first one (rather mediocre), and the second one. The second game has a fun single player campaign, but it's nothing mind blowing. It's just like some dumb action movie, but in videogame format with good combat and action sequences. So far, Tomb Raider seems to be going in this direction, adding exploration, but without the good combat and action sequences part. Anyway, I've yet to play enough of it to be sure of this.

Chewy

Chewy

The part right after you are is where exploration gets knocked up a couple of notches. The Mountain village is fairly large. The coastal forest is really just a small little field.

In comparison to Underworld the shooting mechanics are absolutely amazing Very Happy . But overall I think I like it more than any other 3PS I've played. The no hassle cover system works really smoothly IMO.

But collectibles aren't completely pointless, you gain a bunch of experience for getting them. You wont be fully leveled up by the last mission if you don't get a lot of them. Not to mention salvage, make sure you invest in salvage getting perks early. I was like 300 short of my last upgrade.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

All right, hopefully that will make it better Very Happy

I've actually used all of my skill points in salvage, because every other skill (at the moment I chose them) seemed to suck hahaha. The cover system is very nicely implemented, as you say. One of the best I've used, but as I said, the shooting itself is pretty bland. I can't really compare the shooting with other Tomb Raider games, because I was never a fan of the franchise and didn't play it, so I'll just take your word for it.

And I mean collectibles being pointless as part of the game. If they serve no purpose, I don't see a point in having them. Lore collectibles, story, weapons, upgrades, etc. All good in my book. The totems and GPS thingies? Totally pointless, and the only reason they aren't worthless is the exp points you mentioned.

I also forgot to add this:
Tomb Raider is 50% off on Greenman Gaming and Gamersgate E6mgwn10
I read it's toned down later, though.

Chewy

Chewy

Yeah I really wish they did something with the GPS's, like made them unveal something.

Tomb Raider underworld shooting was just lock on and pull the trigger while jumping around in circles. Occasionally kick a tiger if it gets too close. And you didn't have to even press a button to lock on, it was all automatic. Climbing mechanics could be terrible at times too, the climbing routes were all very exact but you could still just graze against places you were supposed to jump on and just fall down. I think the game only got rated so high because it was pretty easy to masturbate to.

But anyways yeah the QTE's die down quite a bit. They're still present later especially if you let enemies get too close and have to dodge them, but they're never too extreme after the beginning IMO, and I hate QTE's.

Yea the QTE's are really just in the beginning

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Chewy wrote:I think the game only got rated so high because it was pretty easy to masturbate to.

Laughing
Too much T&A?

Chewy

Chewy

Ars Diaboli wrote:
Chewy wrote:I think the game only got rated so high because it was pretty easy to masturbate to.

Laughing
Too much T&A?

I mean one of the first missions they put Lara in a legless wetsuit unzipped half way to show some cleavage.

It's just my only speculation on how it got so many positive reviews.

Chewy

Chewy

So now that the GMG sale is over, it's now 50% off on Steam.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum