the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

New tech for Force Unleashed 2

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New tech for Force Unleashed 2 Empty New tech for Force Unleashed 2 2010-10-24, 03:09

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

One of my good friends is the Associate Producer on the Force Unleashed 2 so I hunt for info on it from time-to-time (I'm not a Star Wars fan myself)... This article has been out for awhile but many of you probably never saw it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-force-unleashed-60fps-tech-article

It's basically a new technique that the new Star Wars game uses to do (simulated) 60fps and motion blur.

Basically once the next frame is rendered and in the buffer it interpolates the existing frame and the buffered frame and injects the interpolated frame in between the 2. The interpolated frame is naturally rendered with blur.

So what you end up with is a game that only has to render 30 frames per second, but hits the screen as 60 fps with motion blur and uses less system resources than rendering at 60 or doing software motion blur.

Pretty interesting, hopefully we'll see more games make use of this. Castlevania sure could have used this trick. Smile

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

No one has any thoughts on this?

I bet if I had posted a video of a dog pooping it would have had 100 replies by now. Rolling Eyes

Wacco

I've never really understood game technology too well and I'm not much of a tech guy, but I sure do understand dogs pooping Razz

That's pretty bad ass. I like the ingenuity people are forced to come up with to get better looking games on consoles.

This is really awesome tech because you can have the detail of a 30fps game but with the smoothness of a 60fps game.

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

The smoothness of 60fps and motion blur. I guess this is the first game to use it but I bet we see alot more of this in the future.

Chewy

Chewy

Halo Reach uses something similar

Chewy wrote:Halo Reach uses something similar
No it doesn't at least it does not look like it does.

D

Sounds pretty slick. Can't wait to see it in action.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum