JrTapia1991
Ars Diaboli
RStudios
Tom
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Tom

Well there go my hopes for the project.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/facebook-to-acquire-oculus-252328061.html

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971?stream_ref=1

RStudios

Virtual reality FarmVille...... Sweet lmao

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Fuck humanity.

I can only hope that other companies/startups do something decent.

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

Ars Diaboli wrote:Fuck humanity.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Which reminds me. Sony is so damn lucky. First Microsoft shoots itself in the foot and basically gives away customers, practically making sure that Sony gets the most sales this generation.

Now Facebook fucks over Occulus, giving way for Sony's VR set.

Tom

Ars Diaboli wrote:Which reminds me. Sony is so damn lucky. First Microsoft shoots itself in the foot and basically gives away customers, practically making sure that Sony gets the most sales this generation.

I was rereading over the press release and if they actually do what they are saying, it would mean that the launch of the first consumer model of the rift would not be changed by them. They would just use their resources to help kickstart the launch so to speak. They go on to say that oculus will work independently within facebook and that they will just help them foster connections and develop partnerships to support more games.

Now if that is actually true then it would be fantastic, probably the best launch we could hope for. This is mainly do to how much money facebook could throw around to get tons of games to support it. I have massive doubts about this, but there is at least some glimmer of hope.

Chewy

Chewy

I had really high hopes for Occulus. Now I know they're going to fuck it up.

Although best case scenario is it gains some mainstream traction and VR really kicks off, so there's that. Only problem is that their end goal is probably to completely immerse us in it and harness our energy like batteries.

MEGA MILK

MEGA MILK

Chewy

Chewy

I guess Notch is bailing on it because of this: http://notch.net/2014/03/virtual-reality-is-going-to-change-the-world/

Notch wrote: I definitely want to be a part of VR, but I will not work with Facebook. Their motives are too unclear and shifting, and they haven’t historically been a stable platform. There’s nothing about their history that makes me trust them, and that makes them seem creepy to me.

And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition.

Remember this was a crowd funded project. People chipped in shitloads of money for it and they just sold it out like that.

Duck

Duck

oh boy, while i'm completely immersed in a game i'll still be able to get facebook notifications!

Pariah

Pariah

I'm gonna hold out hope for a bit.

Personally, I'm ok with a facebook connected oculus rift. it might be ok. But if they turn it into some bullshit shadow of what it should have been, I give up.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Tom wrote:
Ars Diaboli wrote:Which reminds me. Sony is so damn lucky. First Microsoft shoots itself in the foot and basically gives away customers, practically making sure that Sony gets the most sales this generation.

I was rereading over the press release and if they actually do what they are saying, it would mean that the launch of the first consumer model of the rift would not be changed by them. They would just use their resources to help kickstart the launch so to speak. They go on to say that oculus will work independently within facebook and that they will just help them foster connections and develop partnerships to support more games.

Now if that is actually true then it would be fantastic, probably the best launch we could hope for. This is mainly do to how much money facebook could throw around to get tons of games to support it. I have massive doubts about this, but there is at least some glimmer of hope.
It's bullshit and you know it.

It will be plagued by Facebook ads and information gathering. I've ignored Facebook since forever, but it keeps shitting up stuff I like and I simply can't ignore them because they appear whether I want them to or not.

Also, John Carmack is working for Facebook now. ;_;

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Sounds good to me. Serves all you PC tards right.

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

two BILLION dollars though.

fuck, who wouldnt sell out?

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Epyk MD wrote:two BILLION dollars though.

Yeah, you would have to be a moron not to sell at that price. Honestly what in the holy fuck is facebook even thinking with that price?

It will take it years or even decades to ever make that much money back. For 2 billion they could have staffed their own start up VR lab and had something better up and running by years end.

Chewy

Chewy

Epyk MD wrote:two BILLION dollars though.

Facebook bought some IM application for $19 billion dollars. This is a technology that was mastered in the 90's.

The Rift on the other hand is a likely revolutionary piece of hardware and they got about a tenth of that.

I have a feeling they could have done a bit better.

chunckylover53

It's honestly pretty scummy for them to sell it considering it was a kickstarter project.

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

chunckylover53 wrote:It's honestly pretty scummy for them to sell it considering it was a kickstarter project.

$2billion.

you think a $2m kickstarter is going to be able to take on SONY? you are not going to be able to compete against the tech giants unless you have lots of money, say... $2billion.

chunckylover53

The Adli Corporation wrote:
chunckylover53 wrote:It's honestly pretty scummy for them to sell it considering it was a kickstarter project.

$2billion.

you think a $2m kickstarter is going to be able to take on SONY? you are not going to be able to compete against the tech giants unless you have lots of money, say... $2billion.

Doesn't matter, they begged people for money then they sold out as soon as it was worth something.

They should at least pay back everyone who contributed.

Chewy

Chewy

The Adli Corporation wrote:

$2billion.

Isn't Morpheus just a PS4 thing though? It wouldn't really be in competition with them.

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

I saw on the news this morning that Facebook stock dropped quite a bit over this.
Haven't seen anything on it since though.

I still can't think of why they would buy them out instead of develop their own.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

They can just drop money, so I guess they don't care about 2 billions. Fuck, they bought WhatsApp for 19 or something.

I do agree with you that they could just as well develop their own, since the Oculus brand isn't that strong yet to be worth its name alone.

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Ars Diaboli wrote:They can just drop money, so I guess they don't care about 2 billions. Fuck, they bought WhatsApp for 19 or something.

I do agree with you that they could just as well develop their own, since the Oculus brand isn't that strong yet to be worth its name alone.

Exactly.
The could hire 100 of the best-of-the best, pay them each 1 million for the year with a nearly 1 billion R&D budget, give them a few hundred support staff and still come out 1 billion ahead.

They would also end up with something far better than what some biscuit headed start-ups funded via kickstarter have done.

It just doesn't make sense. It isn't like this is a new idea. It's been around forever. Hell, we owned a stereoscopic VR headset back in the late 90's. It cost over a grand and only worked with a few games, but playing Descent on it was badass.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum