Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

How long did it take you to earn your wings?

+11
Kenshiro
StormEye
Valukar
Zillah
sheep
Cardboard Fox
Wacco
Keyser Söze
TheGM
Ante
Artimise Flare
15 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I'm still learning personally, but I'm very far from being able to say that I'm pro or anything. I still have a lot of trouble keeping a steady platform to were the majority of my rockets will hit my desired target. Been practicing in onslaught on and off for I'd say 2 weeks now.

I was born ready.

Ante

Ante

I don't even know what button does what in the pilot seat of a helicopter.

RT: not-die
LT: die if there's no gunner

RB: shoot rockets
LB: activate anti-death countermeasures

right stick: zoom zoom
left stick: aim rockets

up on d-pad: enter/exit 'able to fly' mode

Ante

Ante

Blargh. *Gets in tank* Ahh, so much easier...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing chopper pilots. I fucking suck at flying in anything. I can gun alright, but once I'm in the pilot seat I get confused and can't tell where I am and shit. Vertigo maybe? Yes, vertigo while playing a video game. Baller.

TheGM

TheGM

I can do it but I'd rather have someone else fly.

now if this is 1943.

I AM THE LORD AND MASTERS OF THE SKIES ABOVE!!! ALL PLANES SHALL FEAR ME AND KNOW MY WRATH FOR ENTERING MY DOMIAN!

Flying in Vietnam would be so much better if the Huey wasn't made of cardboard...the thing is idiot-proof and outside of a wayward tank shell you have nothing to fear.

It literally is impossible to flip it too.

And I would prefer to gun if I didn't get so annoyed by pilots flying to random areas of the map and shit.

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

Wings... What wings, man?

Wacco

It took me a while. I've only been considering myself a good pilot for, like, level 45-now. That's a solid few months of playing before I got anywhere near good.

Cardboard Fox

Cardboard Fox

I rarely fly, too much responsibility for me.

sheep

sheep

Flying a real plane is so much easier in IRL than BC2 in my opinion. That crap is so confusing. I suck. Granted, I've only flown twice, but still. So confuseling.

I would like to thank the very patient person who was with me my second time flying a chopper, I don't remember who is was. One of Lead's friends I think.

Zillah

Zillah

Once I switched to BC1 controls.

So much better.

Valukar

the controls have never been difficult, it's just there are so many things you have to watch out for that you have to stay very aware and you can't take many risky shots. being able to accurately steer yourself into a vads is helpful, provided you have a gunner

http://www.gamerhold.com/forum

Zillah

Zillah

And being able to balance a circle strafe so its not an oval-strafe is more important than you'd think.

Zillah

Zillah

And also, yelling at your randy gunner to not take your drivers seat when you land to repair... thats a good skill to have.

Wacco

Hotdamnitssam wrote:Once I switched to BC1 controls.

So much better.

Why? I learned how to fly on those controls, and I used to like them but they're terrible. You have a lot more control with the default ones IMO.

Zillah

Zillah

Really? I feel like its the other way around, and it honestly feels more natural. i didnt even fly in bad company 1, i switched them when i was learning how to fly.

Hotdamnitssam wrote:And also, yelling at your randy gunner to not take your drivers seat when you land to repair... thats a good skill to have.

Until you realize that the gunner is always better off as the Engineer. Or at least that was the case before they fixed V-Smoke >_>

Still it comes in handy since you spend less time repairing, the gunner gets more points if he's in your squad and you can don't have to worry about snipers calling mortars and shit.

Oh and your threat assessment is a good skill to have, believe it or not the tank gunner is only threatening in conjunction with an AA gun or other helo. 3 tanks never accomplishes anything unless someones trying to use them to buy time for the driver to take you out. Be knowledgeable of the tank's shortcomings and you'll do fine.

And free-fired Gustavs ruin everybody's day. So does the VADS.

StormEye

StormEye

I have transitioned from BF2 (not MC) / 2142 flying to BC2 flying no problem, and it did not take long to learn in BF2 due to it being similar to actual flying, except the controls are simplified but the basics of flying is still the same.

If anyone is still struggling with flying, I suggest downloading BF2 demo on PC and play the demo stage over and over again.

Each side starts out with a helicopter in the base, and bots are roaming around, and driving other vehicles. So it is a good practice in both flying and attacking.

Kenshiro

Kenshiro

You crash so much easier in BF2... I tried when I was younger and then I stuck to tanks.

And don't even think about jets without some type of joystick.

Sometimes, even the mouse + keyboard doesn't cut it on the PC.

StormEye

StormEye

The auto throttle is non-existent on PC, if you are not using a joystick which has such function. So flying a helicopter in BF2 required fine tapping of throttle on keyboard.

For jets, I either used Joystick, or Keyboard only, and quick aim with mouse at vital moments, then go back to keyboard only.

In BC2, all helicopters have auto throttle, which will lock the throttle at a level since last changed, so it is easier to keep it in flight.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Took me quite a while actually. But that's because I never had the chance to pilot.

Eventually, in one empty game I took a chopper and learned to circle strafe. I'm still learning though, but I can fly a chopper no problem.

Valukar

Marxist Dictator wrote:
Hotdamnitssam wrote:And also, yelling at your randy gunner to not take your drivers seat when you land to repair... thats a good skill to have.

Until you realize that the gunner is always better off as the Engineer. Or at least that was the case before they fixed V-Smoke >_>

Still it comes in handy since you spend less time repairing, the gunner gets more points if he's in your squad and you can don't have to worry about snipers calling mortars and shit.

Oh and your threat assessment is a good skill to have, believe it or not the tank gunner is only threatening in conjunction with an AA gun or other helo. 3 tanks never accomplishes anything unless someones trying to use them to buy time for the driver to take you out. Be knowledgeable of the tank's shortcomings and you'll do fine.

And free-fired Gustavs ruin everybody's day. So does the VADS.
yeah you gotta know what tanks aren't good at. which is to say nothing in vietnam

http://www.gamerhold.com/forum

DRGN LRD 1213

DRGN LRD 1213

I also use the BC1 controls.

I can fly it. I am ok. I get bored flying so I tend to not. My problem is hitting that damn light post or something and getting all screwed up and flipping.

I remember trying to fly for the first time in the demo and doing the backflip. Yes I was one of those guys! HAHA It was also the first time I had ever gotten the epic fail screen as well. I was laughing so hard. I was like no shit epic fail!!!!!

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Anyone here that didn't backflip the first time they piloted?

I still remember my teammates dying on Valparaiso when I took the Blackhawk.

Or my first attack chopper. Went nose first into a house's roof, rolled a bit and crashed.

Zillah

Zillah

juts fly above 30 degrees and you'll be safe from all the tanks.

StormEye

StormEye

Ars Diaboli wrote:Anyone here that didn't backflip the first time they piloted?
If you are saying BC2 only, I did not.

But if you count my pre-BF2 (BF2 demo released before BF2 release), then count me in for flipped.

LoL

Chewy

Chewy

I don't know how to circle strafe, haven't gotten much of a chance to learn.

I can fly really fast and close to the ground and dodge trees and such pretty well though, just no strafing.

Oh yeah and I've never flipped before because I made sure to take off completely vertically the first time I flied. Almost flipped, but after I inverted the controls I didn't have a problem with that.

Last edited by Chewy on 2011-01-10, 15:47; edited 1 time in total

DRGN LRD 1213

DRGN LRD 1213

HAHA Flipping for the first time is part of the fun...... I might have to flip a choppa tonight just for the lulz.

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

My question is what's the point of flying the blackhawk on Heavy Metal? You'll get gang raped by the enemy attack chopper, and the HIND seems superior since it has the same armament, further more, with only 12 players, there really isn't any reason for you to use it. If there were more people that were forced to spawn further back, i can understand using it as a taxi to ferry your men to the front lines, but since that's obviously not the case, it just seems like you're setting yourself up for failure by even thinking of getting one up in the air.

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Well, the Blackhawk is very good at taking out Hinds. And if the attack chopper is distracted by something else, you can also severly damage it or even take it down.

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I'm more skilled with the attack chopper (I consider the AC more noob friendly in most cases) real skill IMO comes from Black hawk pilots since you got A LOT more shit trying to shoot you down.

No, there's less shit to worry about in a Blackhawk >_> I think I've been shot off a gun once, and even when you get shot down you have a bail timer.

The Hind is a weird one to fly.

I hardly fly- I can do an adeqete job, but I find it boring. But I do love me some tanks! Im very effective with them.

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Hm, maybe it's just my luck then, every time I jumped into one it seemed like i was the first thing to get lit up, even with a friendly AC in the skies with me.

Its mostly about your flight path, and angles you attack the bases at.

I think its because the Blackhawk is only found in Rush (well its in Heavy Metal, not like either transport helo is going to be the center of attention on that map...) and the enemy presence is concentrated there so it feels like there's more guys shooting at you.

But you never have to worry about MBTs or AA guns outside of Port Valdez Rush and Heavy Metal. I never see people even use the Blackhawk on PV Rush - it doesn't come in handy for anything even if you kept the Apache.

TheGM

TheGM

Marxist Dictator wrote:Stuff.

Agreed.

Dropping people off in the BH on HM is VF. So I like flying my support-ops in the Pipe 5 x 5.

Now on Port Valdez....Welll you could always use the Blackhawk tooo.......And don't forget how you can.......

5 Schmucks get in it and stop defending their base?

Last edited by TheGM on 2011-01-10, 20:45; edited 1 time in total

StormEye

StormEye

PV BH is supposed to be used for sending in 1 or 2 on a suicide mission behind enemy lines to steal their vehicles.

Its not really for laying down bullets, since enemy AA is still around, and it will tear BH up.

Stolen vehicle being able to guard the base is amazingly annoying for attackers.

TheGM

TheGM

StormEye wrote:
Its not really for laying down bullets, since enemy AA is still around, and it will tear BH up.

LIES!

The average AA gunner is a grade Moron from Planet Stupid, wich is in the the Dipshit Nebula.

Killing a IFV with the BH still takes around 2 minutes of direct fire..

*all replies involving Gustavs are just trolling*

StormEye

StormEye

Did the level of incompetence have risen while I was away from the battlefield?

It was not THAT bad that BH would still roam free when AA was up and around in PV.

Zillah

Zillah

On heavy metal, once you control the air you pretty much win.

Once my team had all 4 helicopter at once. it was pretty crazy

Dropped Da Soap

Dropped Da Soap

I can fly the UAV just fine.

But I can barely fly the chopper like at all. I mean I can keep it level and stuff and turn fairly quickly. But the only way I can get a good shot or give my gunner one is if I slow down and aim, which generally doesn't end well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum