1Mortal Kombat Empty Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 04:11

Grey

Grey

Tell me about it.

2Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 08:37

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

A-W-E-S-O-M-E-O.

Best MK of the series and best fighter this gen, possibly ever.

If you like fighting games even an iota, you have to play this.

Of course, MK fans need not apply, this is purely a game for the fans, especially the ones familiar with details of the series.

3Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 12:10

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Greg Omni's favorite Greek wrote:Of course, MK fans need not apply, this is purely a game for the fans, especially the ones familiar with details of the series.

Actually I've never really been much of an MK fan and I am shocked at how good I think this game is.
It's massively fun. Has a very satisfying chunky and weighty feel to the controls. It plays smooth and (mostly) animates very well. The combos have awesome style to them and really feel like they pack punch. The costumes are (mostly) great. The backgrounds are cool.

The story mode is the best I've ever seen in a fighting game and is highly entertaining (weird that you never do a fatality in story mode though)

My only real complaints:
The graphics are good, but just not as good as they should be. Close ups on the characters really show how low rez and low detail their textures actually are. They look great at normal fighting distance though.

The x-ray attacks. There's only one per character and they don't vary based on whether you KO them with it or not. It really needed several different animations per character so they don't get old so fast, especially since you see these attacks far, far more often than the fatalities.

4Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 12:18

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

Being a fan and remembering how the re-made stages used to look, as well as all the odes to previous games with various details, I'm loving the stages.

As for graphics, I'm not dissapointed, especially with all the shit going on in the backgrounds. Besides, when a game has solid gameplay, graphics are a far off concern.

5Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 12:30

Symbolic

Symbolic

10 out of 10. Love it, am addicted .

From a gameplay perspective the x ray attacks kinda suck though, but are.awesome asthetically.

6Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 12:33

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

True and the graphics look great during actual gameplay. It's just the close-ups during story mode I was talking about.

Oh, one other thing: The menus and presentation are pretty bad. Bad enough that I felt they detracted from the "style" of the actual game. The main menu and sub menus almost felt like they were made by another company to me.

The Skorpion/Sub-Zero art on the main page is especially lame.

7Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 12:49

Symbolic

Symbolic

Im a MK fanboy though so take ten for what its worth lol.

I love the character art though. Some of the redesigned outfits are awesome. Although I dont like Reptiles new style to much.

8Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 12:52

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

Still better than the last game, where he was almost all lizard.

He had a cool alternate concept design in human form in the artwork book that came with the special edition. It looks awesome.

Last edited by Mortal Kombat on 2011-05-02, 12:53; edited 1 time in total

9Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 12:53

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Almost all lizard? That sounds pretty good to me.

10Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 12:58

Symbolic

Symbolic

I like his old school ninja look. The green suit rules imo. Also I wish they put Rain in here. Only character I miss.

11Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 13:18

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

He's been hinted by Boon as being available as DLC.

12Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 14:07

MADEWITHROBOTS

MADEWITHROBOTS

It's a solid 9 from me.

I very nearly didn't buy this, as I thought it was just the nostalgia talking. But I picked it up on a whim, and after a short while I felt like it was a real guilty pleasure.

Then I played it some more and realised this is the most fun I've had with a beat 'em up in years, hands down.

The amount of kontent (sorry!) here is excellent as well. Story mode was actually interesting in a beat 'em up for once - although as stories go, it's still pretty damn silly.

Also, Raiden is such a complete douchbag in this game, seriously Laughing

The fighting is great, with a well balanced cast and some fantastic stages. Visuals are great in-fight (if a little rough in cutscenes) and animation is smooth.

An extra shout has to go out to the sound effects too, very good.

The Challenge Tower has some genuine comedy to it in places, which is very refreshing - although I guess Mortal Kombat has never taken itself too seriously.

The only reason it doesn't get a 10 from me, is that I'm not a huge beat 'em up fan really, so this kind of game doesn't hold as much longevity for me as other games would. As great as this is, and as much content as it has, I can tell already that it'll be the same. However, I can very much see it as one I keep coming back to for a quality ruck every now and then.

13Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 14:42

Symbolic

Symbolic

Im a huge fighter fan, and this game kills any Capcom fighter ive played, includi.g SSF4 and MvC.

14Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 19:39

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

I wouldn't call myself a big fighter fan. In fact, other than the MK series, I've never really spent a lot of gaming time on fighters. Maybe just a bit of Street Fighter 2.

15Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 20:31

PhantomZehn

A Mortal Kombat with ACTUAL fatalities. Enough said lol.

16Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 21:35

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

And fucking brutal ones at that too.

17Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 22:40

Symbolic

Symbolic

Kung Lao's 2nd fatality is my favorite. I also love Strykers pistol finisher.

18Mortal Kombat Empty Re: Mortal Kombat 2011-05-02, 22:42

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

I loved the part of story mode where you got to play as Stryker.
Actually I just really liked that character. I was surprised.

The Ermac/Stryker fight in the subway was badass.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum