Ante
TexasMace
Shaymojack
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gaming PC's Empty Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 10:05

Shaymojack

Shaymojack

I'm looking to get into PC gaming with BF3 and I wanted to know what you guys think about various ways of getting a good PC, mainly good vendors or the possibility of building one. I know building one ends up being cheaper, but I really don't know where to start or know what I'll need to run games well.

2Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 10:11

TexasMace

TexasMace

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, Shaymo.
It's better to buy parts and build it because there was a thread for this once before so you may wanna do a search.

3Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 10:13

Ante

Ante

www.newegg.com

4Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 10:54

Shaymojack

Shaymojack

http://www.speakeasyclinic.com/t1717-building-a-computer?highlight=Computer

Found it.

5Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 11:49

Voltaire

Voltaire

If anyone needs any help, just let me know. I'm going to be upgrading my computer for Skyrim and I'll help anyway I can.

https://www.youtube.com/user/voltaire9

6Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 12:24

TexasMace

TexasMace

Thanks, Volt.
Is it better to start from scratch or use an old computer?

It may be a while for me because the TV crapped out but that also means I will finally have an HD.

7Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 12:59

Shaymojack

Shaymojack

Volt, you have any opinions on the build on the second post in this topic?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/59373865

Based on the other posts, I wanna see about a different case too.

8Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 13:20

Bama Psycho

Bama Psycho

I just bought a new one about a month ago from cyberpowerpc.com. I got the Gamer Dragon 8000 with a few upgrades from stock configuration. It cost me about $1000.

Specs:

• Product Name: Gamer Dragon 8000 (NO MONITOR)
  • Case: Apevia X-Dreamer 3 Mid-Tower Gaming Case
    w/ Side-Panel Window & Temperature Display [-4] (Black Color with
    Red Ring & Red LED Fan)
  • CPU: AMD Phenom™II X6 1100T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+20]
  • Freebies: FREE! 4GB Patriot USB Flash Drive
  • Cooling Fan:
    Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced
    Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM
    Fan)
  • Motherboard: GigaByte GA-870A-UD3 AMD
    870/SB850 chipset support DDR3 Ultra Durable™3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard
    w/ 7.1 Audio, GBLAN, Support 6-core CPU, CPU Auto Unlocker, USB3.0,
    SATA-III, ON/OFF Charge for IPod, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 3
    PCI
  • Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
  • Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+37] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
  • Free Game: FREE Game - Shogun 2 Limited Edition Coupon: Total War
  • Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
  • Power Supply Upgrade: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+37]
  • Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
  • Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
  • Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
  • Speakers: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers
  • Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
  • Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
  • USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
  • Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

9Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 14:02

Honey Badger

Honey Badger

I just need a new graphics card to install. Everything else is pretty good but my card isnt very good.

10Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 15:37

Voltaire

Voltaire

Before you decide what kind of video card or processor you need you first need to figure two things.

1. What resolution monitor or TV are you going to hook it up to? (If you are running on a low resolution then you don't need as powerful a video card.)

2. Are you going to be doing any rendering or heavy multitasking? ( The more cores your processor has the better it can be at doing multiple things at one time. If you do any kind of editing and rendering of video (especially HD video) then you will want multiple cores because most programs make use of them.

I will post more once I get home. (posting from my phone right now.)

11Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 15:40

Zillah

Zillah

Gaming PC's Podborka_78And most importantly one of these.

12Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 15:44

Voltaire

Voltaire

That's interesting. . . but. . . who uses the arrow keys? Surprised

13Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 16:06

Ante

Ante

Zillah wrote:Gaming PC's Podborka_78And most importantly one of these.

Gaming PC's Ohwow

14Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 16:14

Kitsune

Kitsune

Shouldn't be on W,A,S,D? xD

But anyways, I'd try it on PC, but I don't want to/have the money to get a gaming PC; not really worth it to me, when I can just play it on console for far cheaper. It would kinda neat to try it out on PC though; the only thing I like about PC is: the mouse. The mouse is awesome for aiming, but keyboards are extremely uncomfortable and clunky for controls to me.

15Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 21:50

Shaymojack

Shaymojack

After suffering from some "ragagaga clumsy joysticks" rage lately, I've decided it's about time for me to move into the PC world. Besides, I really need a new computer anyways. Mine can't run a 480p youtube video without fairly frequent frame stutters.

16Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 22:42

Kitsune

Kitsune

I never got how joysticks are "clumsy". I feel like they are a lot more fluent than a mouse/keyboard. The mouse itself is fine, but to me, the keyboard feels extremely clunky.

17Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 22:56

Zillah

Zillah

if $1000 bucks dropped in my lap i'd probably spend it on a gaming PC.

but until then im happy with the xbox

18Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-08, 23:09

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Hey Volt, I'm planning to hook up my new PC to my 37" LCD HDTV, and I plan to get a Radeon HD 6950. The 2 GB one, to unlock it into a HD 6970. Is that a right card or do you have any suggestions?

Still plenty of time for me to actually get it though, piss poor Sad Must get all new components.

19Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-09, 14:09

Voltaire

Voltaire

I'm going to start by saying that if you can hold off on getting the video card then you should do so. The reason being that around the time that Skyrim and BF3 come out there will be newer more powerful video cards coming out, which is important for two reasons.

1. They will be a bit more powerful and more likely to run the games at a higher frame rate.

2. The cards that are out now will get a price reduction which can be just enough to get you a better card than what you would have gotten.

I'm guessing Ars that your TVs resolution is probably 1280x720. If it is otherwise, let me know. If it is 720p, then you won't need an incredibly powerful (read expensive) video card and that card should work pretty well for you; possibly well enough that you may not have to unlock it.

This link shows how well the current video cards do at BC2: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/02/11/amd-radeon-hd-6950-1gb-review/7

*edit* The reason I posted the link is unless Dice do some incredible optimization then you can expect the framerates of those video cards to be cut in half in BF3, more or less. *edit*

I will also say that the build that Bama has is pretty good for the money, but I would probably go with a slightly faster video card because of my resolution. (1920x1200)

20Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-09, 18:16

Shaymojack

Shaymojack

I remember reading that the demos at E3 for BF3 were running on 580's. The person who said that said that there /might/ have been a possibility that the 580 cards were being run to use three screens, but he wasn't sure.

I probably won't buy anything until the specs for BF3 are released. Hell, I'll probably end up getting BF3 on the xbox and then a PC around Christmas or something.

21Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-09, 22:10

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

I just checked out the link, and I think I see what you mean. But nope, I'm not buying anything right now. I'm... broke, and have too many games I want this year and that new PC to top it off.

Anyway, my HDTV is 1080p. I play my consoles with my HDMI cable, and the info box that appears when something changes in my TV clearly states that my resolution is 1900 x 1080, or 1920 x 1080, can't recall correctly.

22Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-09, 22:36

Honey Badger

Honey Badger

Any suggestions for me? Im running at 1980x1200 i do believe and dont you have to take into consideration the power supply and stuff?

23Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-09, 22:50

Shaymojack

Shaymojack

If you know all the parts you're getting, you can use this to figure out what kind of power supply you need.
http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html

24Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-09, 23:08

Voltaire

Voltaire

When I talk about video cards running BF3 I'm not talking about just being able to run it at the resolution that your monitor supports, I'm talking about running it at max settings with anti aliasing turned on at the resolution of your monitor. You can take a very cheap card and still be able to run the game, just not on high settings.

For resolutions above 1680x1050, I would recommend no lower of a video card than the Radeon 6870 1GB or the Geforce GTX 460 1GB. Both of those cards might not allow you to run BF3 at max detail and have anti aliasing on but they should still run it. If you can get a faster (read expensive) card then I would recommend it.

And yes you do need to take into account several things when buying a new video card:

1. Will your power supply support the additional power requirements?

2. Does your case have enough space to support it? (Some of these cards can get very long.)

3. Does your motherboard support PCIe x16? (Which is all but a requirement these days.)

4. Will it run the game at your required settings?

25Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-10, 01:39

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

I want the thing at Max settings with all the shit that can possibly be enabled Laughing I thought of the Radeon HD 6950 because the 2GB version is basically a 6970 once unlocked (however you do that), and the 6990 is just fucking expensive.

Power Supply, I was thinking that I'll be needing at least 600W, depending on the card, and maybe even 750W.

26Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-10, 02:39

Symbolic

Symbolic

ill be playing BOTH Skyrim and BF3 on 360 Sad

27Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-10, 21:44

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Don't do it Symbolic. We must play on the PC!! WE MUST! Shiny stuff and 64 players! And I'm betting my ass that maps in consoles will need to be reduced in size.

28Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-10, 22:37

Ante

Ante

Ars Diaboli wrote:Don't do it Symbolic. We must play on the PC!! WE MUST! Shiny stuff and 64 players! And I'm betting my ass that maps in consoles will need to be reduced in size.

Ars are you on Steam?

29Gaming PC's Empty Re: Gaming PC's 2011-06-11, 00:36

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Yeah, I have an account there. I don't use it though, I only got it for the free Portal thingie about a year and a half ago. Once I get a PC that isn't a piece of crap, I'll use it quite a lot, of course.

I think it's the same as my PSN. If it isn't, then it's just like my gamertag.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum