chunckylover53
BmmFlash
asdf
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1PC Gaming Empty PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:32

asdf

asdf

I plan to get a Dell XPS 15 by the end of the summer to do some gaming and finally use a computer that doesn't have Vista on it.

2 Questions:

Besides Alienware, are there any fantastic gamings laptops out there that I should be looking at?

What are some games I should get for pc besides stuff from steam and Battlefield 3? (I plan to get both)

2PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:34

Do not get a gaming laptop. Those things are overpriced and a waste of money. Get a desktop. Cheaper and much more powerful. If you have to get a gaming laptop shoot for something like the m11x or m14x. PC games I would suggest crysis (1) and minecraft. Most games are already on steam.

3PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:39

asdf

asdf

Well, I kind of need a laptop as well because I'm running anime club next year and need to get the movies there. Also I could list off all of the specs but I don't really feel like it. Summary of my shopping around: Dell XPS is really cheap for what you get. I looked at a lot of other gaming laptops and desktops but it didn't get down to the price I wanted. I also get a $400 discount on the laptop I'm getting.

4PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:41

ThePeavstenator wrote:Well, I kind of need a laptop as well because I'm running anime club next year and need to get the movies there. Also I could list off all of the specs but I don't really feel like it. Summary of my shopping around: Dell XPS is really cheap for what you get. I looked at a lot of other gaming laptops and desktops but it didn't get down to the price I wanted. I also get a $400 discount on the laptop I'm getting.
Get a desktop and a netbook with 1080p HDMI output then.

5PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:41

asdf

asdf

BTW I already play minecraft. I played minecraft before it was minecraft. I was hipster back then.
PC Gaming Before-hipster-kitty-was-cool

6PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:42

asdf

asdf

Hmm...not a bad idea, I'll think about that one.

7PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:43

ThePeavstenator wrote:BTW I already play minecraft. I played minecraft before it was minecraft. I was hipster back then.
PC Gaming Before-hipster-kitty-was-cool
alpha user?

8PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:44

Ok how much will the laptop you want cost and what are the specs?

9PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:46

asdf

asdf

Yup, but I knew about it when animals spawned off of arrows.

10PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:48

ThePeavstenator wrote:Yup, but I knew about it when animals spawned off of arrows.
Ah around September then.

11PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:50

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

Excuse me? Your running anime club next year? Last I checked, this was a team effort Twisted Evil

12PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:51

asdf

asdf

This is copied and pasted right off of dell website. Stuff like the TV Tuner and Backlit keyboard are just wants and I probably will only use 1 or 2 of them.

*Obnoxious Inhale*

Software & Services
PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.40 GHz edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
Dell Recommends
Get everything you need for work and home. Windows 7 Professional offers the features you need for business along with the great media and entertainment features of Home Premium.
Upgrade to Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit, English [Add $130.00 or $4.00/month1]
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook edit
SERVICE PLAN 2 Year Basic Service Plan edit
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus and TV Tuner edit
MEMORY 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory edit
HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-Months edit
HD DISPLAY 15.6 FHD B+RGLED TL (1920x1080) and Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam & Facial Recognition edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Tray Load Blu-ray® Triple Writer (reads and writes CDs, DVDs, BDs) with Roxio Creater 2011 edit
WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6230 & Bluetooth 3.0 edit
BATTERY OPTIONS 90 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
SOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 edit
My Software & Accessories
COLORS Elemental Silver Aluminum edit
KEYBOARD Backlit Keyboard - English edit
MOBILE BROADBAND No Mobile Broad Band Selected edit
OS RECOVERY MEDIA Recovery DVD for Windows® 7 Home Premium OS, 64bit, English edit
My Accessories
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP DataSafe 2.0 Online Backup 2GB for 1 year edit
VGA ADAPTER mini Display Port to VGA Adaptor edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
XPS 15 XPS 15
Integrated Network Adapter Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card
Adobe Reader Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0

*Breathes*

Sorry for the messed up formatting. It would take way too long to type out.

13PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:52

asdf

asdf

Ban_Man95 wrote:Excuse me? Your running anime club next year? Last I checked, this was a team effort Twisted Evil

Well, I don't need to go into great detail in a case like this.

14PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:53

That graphics card will not be able to run battlefield 3 most likely.

15PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:55

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

ThePeavstenator wrote:
Ban_Man95 wrote:Excuse me? Your running anime club next year? Last I checked, this was a team effort Twisted Evil

Well, I don't need to go into great detail in a case like this.
I know, I know, Im just joking. Im all for research, anyway. You know I cant pass up the opportunity to find new anime Very Happy

16PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:56

You guys watch naruto shippuden?

17PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:57

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

not yet. Its on netflix, so ill get around to checking it out soon enough. Im in the process of finishing bleach (what they have on netflix) and full metal panic fumouffu.

18PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 00:57

asdf

asdf

It's just an idea right now. This one suits my needs best right now. If I find something better, I'll take a look at that.

19PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:02

chunckylover53

Now they have naruto on netflix too?! I've watch all the JP ones even up to the newest one today but i do like watching older episodes aswel. Did they do the same thing with bleach or is it english?

20PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:05

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

what is JP? and Bleach is subbed (THANK GOD)
Its one of the few that I can find that are subbed on netflix

21PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:06

asdf

asdf

It's subbed, but everything is subbed so that you can transition to the english version much more easily. Ie: "Shinigami" literally means "death god" but is translated as soul reaper in the subs.

22PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:06

asdf

asdf

Ban_Man95 wrote:what is JP? and Bleach is subbed (THANK GOD)
Its one of the few that I can find that are subbed on netflix
JP is Japanese abbreviated

23PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:07

chunckylover53

japanese. Oh i don't mind if an anime is english i prefer it. But if it's an anime i've already watched subbed then it feels awkward watching it in english.

24PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:08

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

I feel the same way. I got so used to english voices for full metal alchemist, then I watched it in subbed, and I was like "OH snap, edward sounds like a boy!!" Razz

25PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:12

sheep

sheep

There is a website that will test your system for for game capability, I know, but I think it checks the system your are using when you run it.

Desktop is def. the way to go, IMO. I can't seeing gaming laptops being able to run some of the higher graphics games.

I got my computer custom built for around $700 at a local place. I don't know if they can build custom laptops. Check your area though, for custom builds (you might get better pricing in your area, everything is extremely expensive here).

26PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:16

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

Thats what im doing. My bro custom built his, and said he could help me build mine. I could build mine for about 700 to 800, with what is normally a 1500 desktop. Im not huge on getting new games for PC though. Ill probably get the previous model of graphic card or something, because newer ones are expensive.

27PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:18

asdf

asdf

I know we have a few local PC stores nearby but I'm pretty sure they mainly work with refurbished PCs and recycling old PCs.

28PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:19

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

what do we have here? outside of stores that sell them (best buy, etc) I havnt seen many pc shops. Then again, I never look....

29PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:22

asdf

asdf

Milwaukee PC over by Metro Market for example.

BTW the graphics card I'd be getting is in the top 20% of the graphics cards NViDIA offers. I think it'll do. Plus, I can always upgrade.

30PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:24

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

Thats true. But you have different intents than I, sir. I dont plan on playing PC games. Just minecraft, and quirky stuff. As far as BF3, ill leave it to meh xbox.

31PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:24

sheep

sheep

Oh BmmmmmmmFlash newegg.com has some great prices on computer parts.

Funnily enough, a girl who started working with me is dating the guy who built my computer.

Also, within x amount of time, Nvidia offers you a discount when you exchange or old video card for a new. I can't remember the exact time frame. Might only be 90 days. You could look into that.

32PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:29

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

Sweeeet!! And I plan on doing it by myself, mainly. My brother said he would help, since he built one or two before.
And yeah, deals on replacement parts is something to look into. I dont want it to become obsolete, like everything else in technology right now. So If I can find replacement deals, that would be BA.

33PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:35

Duck

Duck

Just buy a desktop and use a thumb drive to get stuff to anime club. Laptops are much less bang for your buck and tend to break much sooner than desk tops.

34PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:37

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

My comp was 250 from walmart.
im that guy.

35PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:37

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

if anything it wouldnt be too hard for me just to take the entire desktop to the club. we have a projector, and plenty of plugs, so it would be fine. Its all depends on who owns what by next year.

36PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:41

chunckylover53

Booster Gold wrote:My comp was 250 from walmart.
im that guy.

This made me laugh +1. I think mines from walmart it was proably like 500-600. If i was still into PC gaming i proably would buy a better one but i am extreamly burnt out with MMO's not sure if i'll ever play another.

37PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:43

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

what ones were you playing?

38PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:44

sheep wrote:There is a website that will test your system for for game capability, I know, but I think it checks the system your are using when you run it.

Desktop is def. the way to go, IMO. I can't seeing gaming laptops being able to run some of the higher graphics games.

I got my computer custom built for around $700 at a local place. I don't know if they can build custom laptops. Check your area though, for custom builds (you might get better pricing in your area, everything is extremely expensive here).
Gaming laptops are actually REALLY powerful. it is just that they are 10+ pounds and have 2 hour battery life.

39PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:45

Ducksaws wrote:Just buy a desktop and use a thumb drive to get stuff to anime club. Laptops are much less bang for your buck and tend to break much sooner than desk tops.
Not if you get a netbook.

40PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:46

chunckylover53

Ban_Man95 wrote:what ones were you playing?
Well i've played quite a few..
Diablo 2(few months)
World of warcraft(few months)
world of kungfu(a little over two years if you count my time on private servers)
runescape(for many years)
FFXI(few months)

I am sure there's more that i've played that i can't think of atm.

Last edited by chunckylover53 on 2011-04-29, 01:49; edited 2 times in total

41PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:47

Duck

Duck

Aren't netbooks generally little teeny laptops that are made just for using basic office stuff?

42PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:48

sheep wrote:Also, within x amount of time, Nvidia offers you a discount when you exchange or old video card for a new. I can't remember the exact time frame. Might only be 90 days. You could look into that.
I have to say I was really excited when I read that. I looked it up and they discontinued that way back in 03 or 04.

Last edited by t-800 on 2011-04-29, 01:49; edited 1 time in total

43PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:48

Ducksaws wrote:Aren't netbooks generally little teeny laptops that are made just for using basic office stuff?
Nope. My netbook can run SC2.

44PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:49

Duck

Duck

still, im guessing a desktop with the same specs as your netbook would probably cost less and last longer. Not to mention a bigger screen to boot.

45PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 01:53

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

the screen is where its at XD

46PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 02:02

Ban_Man95 wrote:the screen is where its at XD
12 inch HD. Can't really do better than that.

(I meant laptop wise)

Last edited by t-800 on 2011-04-29, 02:03; edited 1 time in total

47PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 02:03

Ducksaws wrote:still, im guessing a desktop with the same specs as your netbook would probably cost less and last longer. Not to mention a bigger screen to boot.
Desktop does not weigh 2 pounds and have almost 6 hours of battery life though.

48PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 04:17

MADEWITHROBOTS

MADEWITHROBOTS

ThePeavstenator wrote:Stuff like the TV Tuner and Backlit keyboard are just wants

I got a Dell Studio laptop last year, and I love my backlit keyboard - pretty unnecessary most of the time, but great nonetheless Very Happy

I bought the machine for work, not gaming, though - like others have said, if you want to game on PC you're far better off with a desktop. You'll get better performance for less money, and it'll last you a lot longer as you upgrade it to keep up with software.

My laptop is great at what I need it for, and I didn't want another desktop due to space and the need/want for portability. If those weren't concerns, I'd have gone desktop all the way.

49PC Gaming Empty Re: PC Gaming 2011-04-29, 14:45

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

Thats how I feel. Im going to start with my own desktop, and then I can keep upgrading it and fixing it. Eventually, Ill get a laptop as well. Its just that a desktop is more practical to have first.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

» The Lounge » Archives » PC Gaming

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum