Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do you think it was wise for DICE to leave out .50 anti material rifles?

+6
Twitchy
Cardboard Fox
JrTapia1991
Duck
The Adli Corporation
Artimise Flare
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

We all know the stigma that follows the .50cal sniper rifles such as the Mcmillan TAC-50 and the M82/95 Barret. The M98B fills the role of extreme long range sniper rifles that benefit from being able to reach out to greater distances with less drop.

The mere mention of an anti material rifle usually instills that sense of "power". So do you think DICE will ever bring them back? .50cal rifles have been in the game for several installments, and while the nature of BF3 has changed since the past (Seeing as how ALL sniper rifles can penetrate vehicle windshields/canopies) it would seem a little redundant, if anything it would be to add a little flavor to the already lacking tree of heavy powered sniper rifles. One could argue, that the mere presence of the Barrett or any equivalent would encourage recon players (the bad kind) to continue an un-supportive role by exclusively trying to use the .50 rifles for those extreme range "Sniper" shots simply due to the cartridges reputation.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a return of the M95 Barret or if anything the introduction of the Mcmillan TAC-50. If not a .50cal perhaps another .338 Lapua Magnum sniper rifle such as the Sako TRG.

What do you all think?

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Artimise Flare wrote:We all know the stigma that follows the .50cal sniper rifles such as the Mcmillan TAC-50 and the M82/95 Barret. The M98B fills the role of extreme long range sniper rifles that benefit from being able to reach out to greater distances with less drop.

The mere mention of an anti material rifle usually instills that sense of "power". So do you think DICE will ever bring them back? .50cal rifles have been in the game for several installments, and while the nature of BF3 has changed since the past (Seeing as how ALL sniper rifles can penetrate vehicle windshields/canopies) it would seem a little redundant, if anything it would be to add a little flavor to the already lacking tree of heavy powered sniper rifles. One could argue, that the mere presence of the Barrett or any equivalent would encourage recon players (the bad kind) to continue an un-supportive role by exclusively trying to use the .50 rifles for those extreme range "Sniper" shots simply due to the cartridges reputation.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a return of the M95 Barret or if anything the introduction of the Mcmillan TAC-50. If not a .50cal perhaps another .338 Lapua Magnum sniper rifle such as the Sako TRG.

What do you all think?

they need to bring back the SVU. the only sniper rifle i ever needed Sad

Duck

Duck

Maybe if they added one that was shit for shooting at troops but did damage to humvees and copters

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

yea it would be cool to shoot through a tank Twisted Evil or take a damn viper down

Cardboard Fox

Cardboard Fox

It doesn't bother me that much either way, I don't really see the appeal in them.

I suppose it would be better to include them to appease the obsessed people who never shut up about them.

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Well that's what I'm saying, the .50 was designed to destroy enemy assets such as equipment. It COULD be useful for harming enemy vehicles, but the make it so that it's not OP I can see them going the BC2 route and making them only BA with long reloads. The amount of time it would take you to reliably aim and shoot a helicopter, would be inefficient unless you have a lot of people doing it. In that case, you may as well leave that to the tanks HMG'.

Twitchy

Twitchy

Dave wrote:Maybe if they added one that was shit for shooting at troops but did damage to humvees and copters

Interesting idea, but I don't see how it could work. I'm pretty sure anything that could penetrate metal would be able breeze right through human flesh.

Zillah

Zillah

Make it only useable with bipod deployed (or give it SERIOUS sway).

Ohk from waist up at any range, 15 damage to light vehicles up close, 10 at range, 1.5 second to chamber another bullet.

Duck

Duck

Conker wrote:
Dave wrote:Maybe if they added one that was shit for shooting at troops but did damage to humvees and copters

Interesting idea, but I don't see how it could work. I'm pretty sure anything that could penetrate metal would be able breeze right through human flesh.

Realism vs balance bro

Kenshiro

Kenshiro

I dunno. Bad Recons would flock to it if it did OHK at any range without a headshot.

Placing a limit on mobility (has to be deployed) would make people argue that it produces more useless Recons, or force good Recons to suicide or kitswitch to actually get up into close quarters.

My thought? .50s or higher, give them to Engineers as AT weapons. Now you can set them up with bipods, like some sort of mobile stationary weapon. Accuracy wouldn't outsnipe anything, hurts vehicles (maybe not as much as rockets).

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

I don't really wee the need for them. I have trouble seeing a way to have them be any different from the other BAs, while still being functional. Because if they are in the game EVERY kid is going to use it, so we would have 1/4 of every player sitting on a hill with bipod deployed.

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Zillah wrote:Make it only useable with bipod deployed (or give it SERIOUS sway).

Ohk from waist up at any range, 15 damage to light vehicles up close, 10 at range, 1.5 second to chamber another bullet.

Sure, but I would say:
-No sprinting with it (these things are big, bulky and can weigh around 40 lbs+ammo).
-Firing from the hip, standing or crouching will knock you over, damage you and stun you for x seconds. It is only made to be fired prone with bipod.
-Give it a slower, but realistic reload time (nothing stupidly long).
-No accessories. It comes with a 12x (or bigger) scope only. A bipod only. A wookie suit only.
-If it fires .50 cal rounds than you should only be able to carry 30% to 50% as much ammo as the other Recon guns.

Or several other things, but I'm tired of typing.
The point is there would be many, many ways to balance a huge, one-shot-kill sniper if you really wanted one in the game.

Dave wrote:
Conker wrote:

Realism vs balance bro

Err... yeah, but at a certain point it just gets silly. There is no justifiable way to make it blow up vehicles. but not hurt people

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Anti tank rifles are absolutely worthless in a modern setting. Even Humvee's with an exception to their windshields can withstand sustained fire from .50BMG rounds. If this were WWII, and we were shooting at Stuart light tanks or perhaps even the more modern Sheridan, MAYBE we would be able to penetrate the armor.

As for balancing, I say keep it the way it was in BC2.

M95 Bolt action sniper rifle. Half the time you can hold your breath because of the extra weight it makes it difficult to use. slow cycle rate, and a small reserve ammo supply. Sound suppressors are not available for it nor are there provisions to use close range optics on it or irons.

HUGE muzzle flash and extremely audible muzzle report, perhaps a contrail that follows the round like in Halo? Can damage aircraft and light vehicles. Terrible spread when running, makes it almost impossible to quick scope due to very high spread values while moving. You must be stationary to take advantage of its firepower.

There are other things I'm sure that can make it balanced without making it worthless. Of course it will keep in line that it is not a OHK weapon. Does a crap ton of damage, perhaps 75% of the players health? or 80%? Currently you can hit someone with the normal bolt actions and it will take 50% or 40% of their life if I recall.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum