Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gun talk, choice between a handgun or customizing my AR15?

+2
Bama Psycho
Artimise Flare
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Obviously the latter is more expensive, but I'll get more out of it in some sense.

For those of you who have not seen it yet here it is

Spoiler:

First I'd like to replace that god awful Fisherprice made pistol grip, that'll run me around 30-40 bucks depending on what type I'll get.

Next I'll probably get a rail system so that I can mount a bi-pod and perhaps a foregrip. That could be anywhere from 200-300+ just for the rails alone. Finally an adjustable stock with a variable height cheek rest found on marksmen variants of the M16 and those run around 300-400 a piece. Optics will come much later, but I'll essentially have what I'll ever want out of this rifle. So it's a tough decision.

Handgun, which is cheaper to shoot and more practical (I can carry it, use it as an SD and HD weapon if need be) or go the fun route and modify some parts to my AR15 (obviously the stock and such are out of the question, so perhaps a set of rails and a bipod)

I probably won't be able to do either for a long while (Buying a pistol or do these modifications...well the more expensive ones anyway) but it's always nice to have a plan lol.

Wonder what happened to Tex, normally he'd be all over these kinds of topics Razz

Bama Psycho

Bama Psycho

What handgun are you thinking of getting?

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I'm looking at the Beretta 92FS right now. 9mm rounds will run me just a little less than my AR15, $74 per 500 rounds of 9mm as opposed to $119 for 500 .223

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I wonder what happened to Tex as well....

I never see anybody with that original stock AR anymore.I'd assume it's more sturdy that way.

This AR I liked and wanted to build was an M4 style,but still with a 16 inch barrel to stay legal.Instead of the carrying handle sights he just had flip up magpull sights I think he said.And he said he got some of the best mags ever, HK mags.But those things run 50 bucks each I've seen....ouch....I'd figure since it was foreign it would be cheap like 99 cents like FN FAL mags or G3 mags are >__>

Either way's good really

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Honestly, some good Magpul magazines will get the job done IMO, the damn things withstood being run over multiple times by a pick up truck, so I think they hold up just fine. The HK magazines are heavy, though they're very pretty looking I suppose. ANYTHING from HK is going to be expensive lol

I got this configuration because this is what I'll be training with in basic for the most part. If I recall the Air Force is still using M16A2' for training even though we're normally issued the M4 (Even the Army is transitioning from the M16 to M4 I think, the only branch that is keeping the M16 at this time is the Marines right now with the M16A4)

The longer sight radius on this model also makes it easier to hit targets out ranges of 200-300 yards. I certainly like it, was worth every penny IMO.

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

SGS comps
Gun talk, choice between a handgun or customizing my AR15? 634191204775470493jmpi4amw

These are the grip panels I want, but I want them in black.
Gun talk, choice between a handgun or customizing my AR15? 5066180490_430cce82f5

Here's your shopping list. Get going on it.

Beretta 92 pre-square trigger guard frame, mate with Beretta Elite II slide.
SGS Comp or at least barrel bushing.
Trigger bar overtravel mod.
Trigger mounted overtravel stop
trigger job (internal polishing and mating of parts)
spring kit
Add skeleton hammer
oversize mag release button
replace sights (trijicons, TFO, FO, target, ect.....)
replace grip panels
Add slide serrations
guide rod swap (you have to anyway with the SGS compensator)
install oversize hammer/trigger pins
add flared magwell
convert to SAO
refinish (NP3 or other coatings/colors)
round and polish trigger, hammer and bits.
laser etch designs
upgrade barrel (KKM, BarSto, Jarvis....)
slim profile the controls (If you don't go single action only)
oversize or custom controls
polish feed ramp
polish throat
barrel nut
hex head grip screws
add recoil buffer
ejection port flaring
polish the inside leading edge of the trigger bar

And finally add a 3-round burst mode.

Zillah

Zillah

^3 round burst mode on a pistol?!

impressive.psd

Also, what is that on the front of that beretta?

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Thats what the Raffica is. A Beretta model 93r.

It's an SGS compensator. Adds weight to the front to lessen muzzle flip and also holds the barrel in place like a bushing. They went out of production several years ago, but a guy on the Beretta forums has started selling new improved versions that are much higher quality then the originals. They run in the 200 to 250 range.

It's what Leon had on his guns in the Professional.
Gun talk, choice between a handgun or customizing my AR15? Leon-The-Professional

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Ugh, I don't really care for the look of that compensator. Makes the gun look unbalanced IMO, but then again, I've never held one so I can't say. Not to mention all the hoops and jumps you'd have to go through in order to get a burst fire weapon.

Personally, I'm the type that really doesn't get all the "tacticool" gizmos on my guns. The most I'd ever do to my AR is add an optic of some sort, fore grip, and collapsible stock, perhaps even a bi-pod.

Might go a little more fancy if I was getting an M4 style AR15 and add a high lumen tactical flashlight that activates by a pressure switch in the fore grip.

I don't know what I'll do with either, I may wait until the x-mas season when I come back from exodus and purchase something then (I should have quite a bit of cash by then) we'll see.

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I've always been more of a simple person too....just more stuff to go wrong on a gun and goodness the amount all that stuff would cost you could get many thousands of rounds of ammo >_>.

That's why if I indeed get an SKS again I'm gonna leave it original.Seemed to work good enough in vietnam and I don't have the money for 20 buck per duckbill 20 round tapco plastic mag.I'll use stripper clips and use the original military 10 round internal mag.I'd really love to get a real Russian model,but my chinese was fine.I don't think I'll go after a Yugo...I've heard problems with the gas system due to a valve and it doesn't have a chrome lined bore,and I'm in very humid Tx lol

If for nothing else,it's more accurate and cheaper than an AK.Cheap and reliable are what I look for in guns Razz

The only AK I'd likely to be able to afford is a crappy wasr 10 and century even makes a crappy ak74 build....I heard the AK is really a 100 yard or less rifle anyway.Not that I'd ever take a shot longer than that really,but it's nice to know the sks is more accurate.Alot of people say because of the longer barrel,but it's actually because of slightly tighter tolerances than the AK.I heard the paratrooper SKS's with 16 inch vs the regular 20 inch barrel are actually more accurate because the 7.62x39 works best in a 16inch barrel.

The SKS would be my shtf gun really......for home defense I'd grab a shotgun anyday.

Zillah

Zillah

Metalzoic wrote:

Thats what the Raffica is. A Beretta model 93r.

It's an SGS compensator. Adds weight to the front to lessen muzzle flip and also holds the barrel in place like a bushing. They went out of production several years ago, but a guy on the Beretta forums has started selling new improved versions that are much higher quality then the originals. They run in the 200 to 250 range.

It's what Leon had on his guns in the Professional.
Gun talk, choice between a handgun or customizing my AR15? Leon-The-Professional

Wow, i dont know how i totally blanked on the raffica...

that just seems like it would be really hard to control.

The only gun I own is a .22 from 1939. still works great, was my grandpa's when he was a kid.

Rogue Jedi

Rogue Jedi

Remember that the more "accessories" you put on an AR, the heavier the thing gets. You can really go overboard with these things. Keep it simple with a good optic, extra mags, and maybe an adjustable stock.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Zillah

Zillah

Rogue Jedi wrote:Remember that the more "accessories" you put on an AR, the heavier the thing gets. You can really go overboard with these things. Keep it simple with a good optic, extra mags, and maybe an adjustable stock.
Spoiler:

HA, that thing in the bottom left looks like some sort of lazer gun

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Rogue Jedi wrote:Remember that the more "accessories" you put on an AR, the heavier the thing gets. You can really go overboard with these things. Keep it simple with a good optic, extra mags, and maybe an adjustable stock.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Nah, I'm not one to go overboard with my rifle. The only reason I'd add a bipod is because the rests at my local range (Literally a small iron mini saw horse thingy with some small sand bags you stack on them) suck total balls.

Stock, optics, and perhaps a bipod and one of these as a grip.

Gun talk, choice between a handgun or customizing my AR15? MAG414%20AFG2%20BLK-2

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Artimise Flare wrote:Ugh, I don't really care for the look of that compensator. Makes the gun look unbalanced IMO, but then again, I've never held one so I can't say. Not to mention all the hoops and jumps you'd have to go through in order to get a burst fire weapon.
The burst-mod was just a joke (although you can find the instructions for doing it)
There are other comps you could go with if you think the SGS is ugly, any of them will make a big improvement to accuracy. Like this more compact style here.
Spoiler:
If you don't like comps then you could get a good conical bushing job done which will also give it much better accuracy, but not increase the guns size so you can still CC as if it were stock.. Wal at beretta forums does an awesome job, just like the factory bushings Beretta did on the combat models.
Spoiler:
Here's another slide closed so you can see what it actually looks like.
Spoiler:

Personally, I'm the type that really doesn't get all the "tacticool" gizmos on my guns. The most I'd ever do to my AR is add an optic of some sort, fore grip, and collapsible stock, perhaps even a bi-pod.
I hear you. Mostly I'm interested in changes that actually improve it. New trigger springs. Comp or bushings. Spring buffer. etc... But I do want several skeletonized bits for mine. I'll make a topic about my dream Beretta sometime.

Zillah wrote:Wow, i dont know how i totally blanked on the raffica...

that just seems like it would be really hard to control.
I've never even seen a real one, but from what I've read they're hard to control. Also, the way the barrel is ported it would probably stun you without ear protection.

Those pics are hilarious! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum