JrTapia1991
TexasMace
Artimise Flare
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1AR15 and gun Topic Empty AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-01, 22:21

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Finally got my tax return, and from what I'm seeing it looks like I got more than I was expecting Very Happy (yay!)

Probably going to save for another month or so though.

Bad news though for my upper receiver, looks like the BCG and Charging handle bonus thing was only for a short while. So now I need to go hunting for a decent BCG and Charging handle. Fortunately they're not terribly expensive, but it's just another expense down the line. Hopefully I won't push beyond the 1k mark, but at any rate, I'm also looking at different uppers with a complete flat top and a front flip up iron.

How's it going on your end texas?

2AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-02, 21:20

TexasMace

TexasMace

Sorry you missed that deal, Arty that was a BIG savings.
I'm gonna go with a BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle. It's only $40 but I trust BCM and that makes me think I will get the Bolt Carrier from them as well @ $150ish.

My build is finally looking up. The dirt-bag shop that ordered the lower didn't order until a month after it was actually ordered but I expect delivery now about the 18th. (STOKED!)

I'm gonna go ahead and order my Upper soon from DSA @ $275. They are a good company that supplies military and police and make the finest FAL rifles on the planet so I trust them as well. (STOKED! again)

I've been looking into Mosin Nagants and have found a place that sells them for $80ish. I would love to have a little piece of history laying around so what do you think of an $80 Nagant? Didn't you just get one yourself?

3AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-02, 21:22

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

in today's economy,80 bucks for that high powered rifle is a good deal. Razz

I want one with a bayonet Very Happy

4AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-02, 22:35

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I'd pay careful attention to it's serial number and year of manufacture. mine ran around 120, and shoots like a dream. Also, be sure to check the barrel if you can, and if you know anything about the bolt assembly, perhaps see about having the firing pin headspace inspected.

But if everything checks out, you can't go wrong for that price. You're firing a round equal to the .308 that costs about half. It's got a mean recoil, and is real easy to pick up and shoot. A little bit on the heavy side, but nothing practice won't solve.

Good to hear, I just found an S&W M&P15 from Buds gunshop for $951.00

about 1,046 with tax minus the FFL transfer fee and you got a good Colt equivalent rifle, Not bad if you ask me. I've heard and read good things about the M&P15, but I'm still shopping around Wink

My rifle build looks to set me beyond 1k anyway, so may as explore as many options as I can right?

5AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-04, 01:45

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Ok, I've finally settled on a rifle. I've found exactly what I'm looking for

It's a S&W M&P15T M4 style AR15, it's not cheap, but what you get with it, the price is an incredible deal!

S&W M&P15T(Tactical): $1,160
AR15 and gun Topic 71968

With this rifle you get the following

- 6 position adjustable stock: $100 to $130+
- Flat top receiver with full length picatinny rail
- 10" Tactical hand guard (4 sided picatinny rail system) $300+
- Magpul MBUIS flip up iron sights (Front an back) $110
- 1 Magpul 30 round polymer magazine: $13-$20
- 1.8 Twist rate (one revolution per inch less than a Colt 6920 but the loss in velocity would be negligible, most other rifles are 1.9)

The stock rifle that is optics ready (No iron sights or railed handguards) sells for $799 at Buds gun shop

The same rifle with fixed forward irons and detachable carrying handle iron sight assembly sells for around $951

The colt 6920, sells for anywhere between $1,150 to $1,250 at least, and comes with a 20 round magazine only, normal hand grips, carrying handle and fixed front sights.

COLT LE 6920: $1,199 at Buds Gun shop
AR15 and gun Topic 60386

the total value of the modifications that you get from the M&P15 Tactical is around $400 upwards to $600, that's a $1,760 rifle that you're getting for significantly less, and it's ready for an optic should you decide to mount one with no need to add a riser for the optics to clear the front post.

In the long run, if you're planning on getting a good rifle without having to do all this modification later, you just can't go wrong with this particular rifle.

S&W are still very new to the AR world, but, I've read nothing but stellar reviews about this particular rifle. It eats just about any ammunition you feed it, and is by far the best deal I've run across.

Looking forward to getting this soon, but I still need to save for a little longer to make sure the bank account isn't drained dry lol.

6AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-04, 12:21

TexasMace

TexasMace

I'd go with the M&P, Arty. You are right about the cost and what you get for it. I have a friend that owns one and he likes it. The only complaint he has is that it seems much louder than other AR-15s. I don't know if this is true or not though.
The M&P is the first AR I looked at and I would get one but it's still too expensive for me and I am really diggin' the thought of building my own.

7AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-04, 14:58

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

are you going to go with a gas piston?

8AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-04, 19:12

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Nah, I prefer the DI system currently. May consider getting a piston driven AR in the future, but I'm a little skeptical when it comes to a semi new design such as that.

I simply don't know enough about piston based rifles to trust then yet. Best to go with what I know a lot about xD.

9AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-04, 21:15

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

Ah.I know more about piston than the other way around.I don't think I'd have the patience to lube and clean every nook and cranny on an AR15.

*shrug* I love Commie weapons Razz

AK,SKS,PPSH,Mosin Nagant

I never understood why American weapons cost so much more than other countries....I guess because it's assembled here?idk.

10AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-04, 22:02

TexasMace

TexasMace

Found some Mosin Nagants for $80. Is this good or not?

11AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-04, 22:08

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

hell yea.lol I'm going to get one this week probably,since I got a job,and a NEF 12 Gauge pump shotgun,pretty much an 870 clone.

you can get the bayonets for like 10 bucks online I think XD

dude I'm so excited I finally got a job Smile

I dunno weather to go SKS or AK47 first....Smile I feel like a kid in a candy store

12AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-04, 22:16

TexasMace

TexasMace

Awesome, Jr! Congrats, my friend nothing like having new money for toys!
I know you didn't have a job so you must have just got it...so cool.

You gonna play some BC2 tonight!? I'm ready to get on but there isn't much happening.

13AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-04, 22:18

TexasMace

TexasMace

Hey, Shaymo is on and he is a Texan as well! You wanna see if we can get a Texas squad going!?

14AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-04, 22:25

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

yeah lol I'll get on

edit: it wont let me join your party Sad

NAT issue maybe?idk

15AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-04, 23:26

TexasMace

TexasMace

Tell me fuckin about it! SO PISSED!!!

16AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-05, 00:54

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Just be sure to check the rifle over man, have you dealt with cosmoline removal before? If not I can give you some advice about it. Also, be sure to check the barrel for pitting and that the bolt itself moves smoothly. Also, not all bayonets will fit the rifle they come with since during shipping, the pencil pushers didn't see fit to keep matching rifles and their bayonets documented. So sometimes you'll get one that simply doesn't fit the rifle (like mine)

17AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-05, 01:01

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

Very Happy after I get my 12 gauge pump,I dunno weather to go SKS or AK47/74

which would y'all pick and why?It makes me cringe when I see an SKS without bayonet:(

I saw an AK47 with folding bayonet like the SKS has,although it was a type 56 Chinese and most likely full auto and I don't feel like going through all the hassle for a full auto weapon,but it was very cool to see an AK with one none the less.

I heard JG Sells is a good place.Or an established gunbroker dealer.An AK74 brand new for about $350 is a great deal in today's economy.Although I've heard stories of certain AK74's with improper rifling that will make the rounds keyhole...dunno if it was just a bad batch Century Arms did or what...

I dunno where to go to buy ammo though.I guess cheaperthandirt

18AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-05, 01:05

TexasMace

TexasMace

Always Cheaper Than Dirt but Arty has a link for something else.

My buddy bought an SKS and he had to soack it in a big Rubbermaid bin to get the nasty cosmoline off of it. He said it was a horrible mess!

19AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-05, 01:21

Zillah

Zillah

Sks.. what is that? like a marksman ak47?

20AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-05, 01:23

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sks
pretty much.Has 10 rounds stock,but a wealth of aftermarket parts.The most reliable aftermarket mags I've heard are the tapco 20 rounders.I don't know why they don't just make 30 rounders -___-

21AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-05, 01:43

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

For all of you good fellas looking for a place to buy that all so important ammo lol

SG Ammo: http://www.sgammo.com/

Ammo Man: https://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

SG Ammo had better prices on .223 last I checked.

22AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-07, 00:00

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

After looking at prices,just off hand what I remembered an SKS being on gunbroker,350-400 from a buy it now listing,I'm going to go with an AK74.I saw one for about 400,20ish for shipping,idk how much for FFL transfer,but it came with 4 magazines and a bayonet that also doubles as a wire cutter.

so pretty much I'll get an AK74 for the price an SKS is going to cost just for a stock one,not even with a 20 rounder or better stock or anything.

Bleh I wish they were cheaper but I guess what can you do in this economy with gas about 4 bucks a gallon now and the dollar falling in value -__-

I'm going to pick up a cheap 12 gauge pump from wal mart brand new and saw off the huge 28 inch barrel to 20 inch.Anybody ever do this?All I would need is a 10 dollar fine tooth hacksaw right?I know the limit is 18inch,so I just measure w/ a tape measure the whole barrel?

I read before that the ATF measures w/ a wooden pole w/ the breech closed....does this add any inches to the actual barrel itself?You'd figure all you have to do is remove the barrel and measure the barrel itself
>__>

EDIT: FML...Just was reading online,and I was looking forward to having a truck gun as I thought the laws were lax here in Texas but there's some room about you can't even have it in your vehicle if within 1,000 feet of a school.I dunno if that counts colleges,but that's dumb as hell if you happen to be driving on the highway and just happened to be sort of close to a school and a cop pulls you over and you have an AK in your backseat or handgun in glove box.boom there's 5 years in the slammer.

it was weird it said that,however,apparently it's fine,you just have to have it in a locked box(container?) unloaded.I guess that's better than nothing.....

23AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-07, 03:46

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I wouldn't advise that you go and do any permanent modifications to any firearm until you've got some proper experience and equipment to do so.

I know that rifles at least need a recrowning tool for the barrel, but shotguns I'm at a loss on.

As for having a loaded firearm in your vehicle, I'd suggest that you just have it concealed if you can. A handgun is more than enough for any self defense engagements that you might have going on in a car. Unless you're talking about a trunk gun, I'm not sure what would be good for that. To be honest I'd say save your money and look into a good AR platform, I think there are kits out there to convert an AR15 to fire the 7.62x39 round that the AK47 uses, which usually comprises of a change of barrel, bolt, and magazine.

But quick question, have you even fired a rifle before jr? If not, I'd actually recommend a .22 lr caliber to start, it's cheap to shoot, and it will allow you to become familiar with shooting and help prevent you from developing bad habits from firing the larger calibers.

24AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-03-07, 05:46

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

yeah I've shot before,.22,.45,357,20 Gauge.It was at my ex's place and I haven't had a job to actually buy my own guns,but I've read up quite a lot on the web and seen many many pics.

I might just see if I can order a shorter barrel shotgun through the pawn shop here.I can't see cutting a shotgun barrel down to be rocket science though.If it comes with a 28 inch barrel,all I have to do is get a ruler/tape measure and cut 8 inches off of it.

I won't be 21 until Jan....I know it's legal to buy a handgun here in Tx. from a private sale,but with how the cops are in this town I wouldn't want to go through the trouble.They might have it stuck in their heads that it's 21 only for handguns but 18 for rifles/shotguns.

I read up some more,and all I have to do is keep it in a locked container unloaded in the back seat or something.That would actually be better than just having it under the seat loaded I think,because if I were to go in somewhere nobody would just be able to pick it up.Hopefully I'd never have to use it,and if something happened the best course is to just drive away,but it's a lot of peace of mind knowing if SHTF I have a good reliable hard hitting gun that would keep me alive

25AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-04-03, 03:24

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

So, I've been researching here and there, and I think I found a rifle that I'll be working on for quite some time. It's a Century Arms International CETME, essentially the father rifle of the G3 originally developed in Spain. I found a couple of websites that will allow me to make some modifications to make it almost identical to the H&K G3 for about half the cost.

AR15 and gun Topic MY_CETME_1

You can get the original adjustable stock, and this is no knock off either, it's a real H&K stock for this rifle. Furthermore I'll be looking into a reloading press so that I can reload my own .308 ammunition, sure I'll be in the hole about 300+ dollars, but the savings on being able to make my own .308 ammunition is well worth it. For 500 rounds of the bargain bin Wolf ammunition it's around $200, that's stupid expensive, for about 60 bucks of materials I can make over 500 rounds easily at to a much higher quality standard as far as ballistics are concerned.

This won't be happening any time soon, but the first thing I'll want to do if I get this rifle is to replace the horrible rear iron sights with the G3 style cylinder type rear irons.

Wish me luck, I'll update you guys on how this little project of mine is coming along.

26AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-04-04, 00:39

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

ok this is weird, I don't know why, but this topic is not on the list in "The Lounge" where it apparently was posted O.o

27AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-04-04, 15:34

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

that's pretty cool.I kinda like the old school look of it originally,but either is cool.

I thought about reloading,but I heard if you mess up just a little,when you go to press the bullet, it'll explode and kill you most likely.I wouldn't wanna take that chance lol.

I could go get my shotgun right now,but I'm gonna move soon again,so I think I'll just wait until I get to the new place. -___- I wouldn't want the person moving us to flip out.Then again,I could just disassemble it and put it in my backback....lol

after the shotgun,who knows for me really.Maybe I'll look on gunbroker and get a cheap WASR-10 or AK74.The SKS is cool,but it's the same cost as the AK now pretty much =/ and since that's so,I'd rather go with the AK since it'll take 30 round mags from the start

I saw a wasr 10 brand new w/ 2 mags and bayonet for like.... $420 with 30 shipping I think Smile

28AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-04-04, 19:51

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I suggest you look at a "Certified" WASR 10 from Henderson Defense.

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/home.asp

The AK's you get from Century Arms International is a hit or miss game at best. When you get one that's right, it's great, but in many cases, they're not. Henderson Defense's AK's are inspected and have to pass a series of checks, thus they don't have the issues usually associated with the WASR 10 AK's. In fact, you can get an AK74 for about $419 right now, they shoot a cheaper and more accurate round the 5.45x39mm. At AIM surplus, you can get 1080 rounds for like $140 bucks.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=33&name=5.45x39

You really can't beat that, I recently looked into what it would take for a smith to do the modifications I wanted, and I found it's simply not worth modifying the CETME. I may as well save up for a real H&K PTR91 which is a civilian version of the G3 that is made to a much higher quality for how much I'd have to pour into this CETME.

I'll just bide my time for now, may really make the next rifle that AK74 I mentioned. Oh by the way here's the link to that rifle.

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Century-Certified-AK74-Carbines-5-45mm-50p85.htm

29AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-04-04, 20:01

TheGM

TheGM

Bout time I saw some AK-74 love. People ignore that gun way to much.

SKS.......never liked it.

30AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-04-04, 20:22

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

yeah,SKS was only good way back in the day when it was "dirt cheap" ....now days,might as well go with an AK47 or 74.

maybe the 74 indeed,low recoil and a devastating round Smile

this surplus Bulgarian stuff I was looking at is real military stuff with a steel core that penetrates good ;D

31AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-04-04, 22:36

Voltaire

Voltaire

I would say to be careful about getting any ammo with a steel core because a lot of ranges are banning them because a steel core and a steel backstop don't go together very well. But if you go to a range that has like a dirt or rubber backstop then it shouldn't be a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/user/voltaire9

32AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-04-04, 22:47

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

That was another thing stopping me from getting any guns so far,I don't have a place to go shoot them...I need to find a buddy out in the country or something...closest range is an hour away....I don't feel like the gas to go there and back really.

33AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-04-04, 23:09

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Ah, I feel ya there man. I can only go to an outdoor range here in AZ. It's about a goo 30 minute drive for me. The only indoor range I'd go to is about 50 minutes away, I'm used to having to drive a long way to get anywhere in this dust bowl.

as Volt had mentioned, most of the Mil Surp stuff is steel "jacketed" meaning it's usually a copper jacket over a steel jacket with a lead core, meaning if you take a magnet to the round it will actually stick.

This tends to dent steel backdrops and can produce sparks, and if a range has poor ventilation the round can cause a spark igniting any unburnt powder residues. Furthermore, they tend to ricochet of the steel back plating so that's also a big no no for an indoor range.

Here in Arizona as long as you're about a mile or two outside the city limits you're fine, but I don't know about Texas and their laws.

This is also a nice little accessory if you plan on mounting an optic on your AK platform. I really enjoy watching this guys videos, messaged him a few times, and he's the one that led me to Henderson Defense for that AK i was talking about.

34AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-04-05, 06:22

Voltaire

Voltaire

One of the main problems with being a gun owner is that the good ranges are few and far between. There are 14 or so indoor ranges in South Carolina and my dad and I went to a few of them and a lot of them have the same problems.

1. A lot of them have poor lighting which makes it hard to see the target and the sights.

2. A lot of them are older and don't have that good air conditioning which means it can get pretty hot.

3. As I have stated before, a lot of them are banning jacketed rounds, but what is worse is that they are requiring that the ammo be new in the box and if it isn't then they require you to buy their ammo.

The one we go to is about an hour and ten minutes away but we don't mind it because they have none of the above problems and the atmosphere is great.

I know that someone will say, "Why don't you just go to an outdoor range?" The reason why is because in the summer here it's not a whole lot of fun to go shooting in 95+ heat even without the humidity which tends to be pretty high.

https://www.youtube.com/user/voltaire9

35AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-04-06, 19:46

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I hear you there, granted here in the valley we don't get a lot of humidity, it pushes upwards to 118 to 120 something during our summers. I think this past summer we broke the record of like 125 or 127 I think.

36AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-04-06, 19:54

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

Smile By the end of the month I should have enough for that AK74 and Pardner Pump 870 clone 12 gauge.I'll save 100+ bucks by just cutting off 8 inches to make the barrel 20inches lol.

=/ way back I could of gotten an SKS with folding stock and 30 round mag,dunno if it had the bayonet or not,but it was only for $150 -___- but I was broke back then lol.

yeah that's messed up with ranges trying to make you buy their own ammo.I wish I knew some people out in the country.I know this one guy that used to live out of the city limits,but he moved out from home and idk if his parents would be cool with me just going out there to shoot or not lol.

edit:well damn....was looking on gunbroker and the AK's seem to have shot up 100 bucks just from last week when I was looking!woah -___- dude 600 bucks for a wasr 10 even if brand new is a joke...but I guess what can you expect with the economy in shambles and the dollar falling in value =/

I saw a damn good looking SKS,russian brand new for like 450,free shipping I believe

37AR15 and gun Topic Empty Re: AR15 and gun Topic 2011-04-06, 20:52

Erkeric

Erkeric

I found a pretty nice place that I plan on using. Is probably 7 mins away and has 6 or so ranges on it...everything from bows up to a 500 yard rifle range. Its just 100 bucks a year and is maintained by the people who shoot there.

But the downside is it will get pretty hot during the summer but shouldnt be too big of a deal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum