Metalzoic
Chewy
Pariah
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Advice needed Empty Advice needed 2012-03-18, 22:35

Pariah

Pariah

about an hour ago, I logged onto the server console on my MC server, and lo and behold, I saw myself playing the game. I tracked down the IP of my account, and managed to wrest control form them. Now my password is changed and I need some advice. How can I track a person down given their IP address?

2Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed 2012-03-18, 22:40

Chewy

Chewy

Track them down? Are you planning on going to their house or something?

You can generally find it down to the city from simply googling it. Not sure what you plan to do beyond that...

3Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed 2012-03-18, 22:42

Pariah

Pariah

I have the city, and provider. And no, I'm not going to go to their home, that'd be stupid. I want a name, preferably a telephone number too. I just want to know who I've been taken by.

4Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed 2012-03-18, 22:47

Chewy

Chewy

There's really no simple way of getting that.

An IP address from a client is associated with a computer or a router. Mostly a router nowadays. Their name isn't really attached to it, especially not their phone number.

5Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed 2012-03-18, 22:58

Pariah

Pariah

fuck. any havoc I could pull with it then? as a form of alternative "fuck you"

6Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed 2012-03-18, 23:08

Chewy

Chewy

Eh, probably not. I mean an advanced hacker could possibly do some damage but really an IP address is info that you give away when accessing any website so there are a lot of measures to stop people from getting into your computer knowing just that.

7Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed 2012-03-18, 23:15

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Don't have any high level programmer/hacker buddies?

About 12 years ago there was a guy giving our store a bunch of shit over an ad we had posted on a newsgroup.

We pulled in a programmer that had helped build our online store and it took him about an hour to track the guy to the computer he posted from. Turned out is was from a computer at a bank in some mid-western state (I want to say connecticut, but I can't remember for sure...).

He even got us his phone number so my partner called and woke him up in the middle of the night to let him know he was fucked. Then made a few other phone calls to his higher-ups. The next day we had an apology phone call and letter from the bank president and several public apology posts from the d-bag that fucked with us.

I imagine that guy got into a world of shit. Who knows what else they discovered he did online from his work PC during business hours.

I don't remember what we paid the hacker dude, but it was worth it. We totally and completely fucked that guy over. Sometimes actions can have severe consequences.

8Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed 2012-03-18, 23:47

Siren

Siren

OH! I know someone who can control someone's screen if you give them an IP address. I might be able to do it too.

That could be fun :3

9Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed 2012-03-19, 00:40

chunckylover53

Metalzoic wrote:Don't have any high level programmer/hacker buddies?

About 12 years ago there was a guy giving our store a bunch of shit over an ad we had posted on a newsgroup.

We pulled in a programmer that had helped build our online store and it took him about an hour to track the guy to the computer he posted from. Turned out is was from a computer at a bank in some mid-western state (I want to say connecticut, but I can't remember for sure...).

He even got us his phone number so my partner called and woke him up in the middle of the night to let him know he was fucked. Then made a few other phone calls to his higher-ups. The next day we had an apology phone call and letter from the bank president and several public apology posts from the d-bag that fucked with us.

I imagine that guy got into a world of shit. Who knows what else they discovered he did online from his work PC during business hours.

I don't remember what we paid the hacker dude, but it was worth it. We totally and completely fucked that guy over. Sometimes actions can have severe consequences.

Similar story kinda... I use to work on a private server for an MMORPG, our playerbase wasn't huge but we had a lot of people playing and probably about 50+ were very active. We worked off an item mall as that's pretty much the only way to keep a private server running without haveing to keep pulling your own money out of your bank(donate to get certain ingame currency that is used at an item mall for exclusive items.)

One player who i respected was unhappy with how a friend of theirs was treated so said player decided to charge back all the money they donated to the game, then said player sent threats to the owner who actually has some political pull and is very familiar with the law, the owner had to spend some money but after a few weeks the player got sent to jail and if i remember correctly it was for about two years(maybe even more).

The owner told me he spent more money pursuing this then the player even put in but he's a pretty wealthy guy and he told me it was well worth it.

10Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed 2012-03-19, 11:01

Bama Psycho

Bama Psycho

Pariah wrote:I have the city, and provider. And no, I'm not going to go to their home, that'd be stupid. I want a name, preferably a telephone number too. I just want to know who I've been taken by.
You could contact their provider and report the ip address as one that hacked ur account...might not get you anywhere but maybe it'll get them in a little hot water.

11Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed 2012-03-19, 18:10

Pariah

Pariah

Metalzoic wrote:/snip

no, but we released them on the Anon twitter accounts with the hashtag #havefun, and next time I get on a public comp (library computer, school such) I'll post the two IPs along with ISPs and addresses on every "security testing" site I can find. and 4chan of course.

Brariah wrote:OH! I know someone who can control someone's screen if you give them an IP address. I might be able to do it too.

That could be fun :3

No. I am in no way implicating you in this.

Bama Psycho wrote:You could contact their provider and report the ip address as one that hacked ur account...might not get you anywhere but maybe it'll get them in a little hot water.

Did this for the VA one, they said they couldn't disclose anything about it without a subpoena or warrant, but that they'd look into it.

12Advice needed Empty Re: Advice needed 2012-03-19, 18:19

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Oh get that kid that threatened me and Ante for telling Your Momma jokes

I quote

"Im going to get my hacker friend to blow up your xboxs"

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum