Pariah
JrTapia1991
Zillah
Chewy
Manila Plague
Metalzoic
15 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-12, 22:13

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Via Computer and Video Games, the latest issue of Britain's Xbox World magazine reveals that developers received Durango devkits last month, purportedly packing a 16-core IBM Power PC CPU and a GPU similar to AMD's Radeon HD 7000-series graphics cards.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/12/report-next-xbox-to-sport-a-16-core-cpu

I have no idea what a 7000 series graphics card can do, but if this is true 16 cores sounds un-developer friendly.

No way that happens. And no way its based on a series 7000. No way they can keep the cost low if indeed that happens. Your looking at a 800$ console at least with the gpu and cpu.

Manila Plague

Manila Plague

PC wins

Its just not feasible to have that tech in a console. I guess they could do it, if they dont mind MASSIVE overheating problems and a price point nobody would buy.

I just dont see it.

Chewy

Chewy

Maybe the 16 cores are only 100 MHz each.

Zillah

Zillah

The whole business model behind consoles is that they build millions at a low price, sell them at a loss, then make it all up in the long run by licensing and selling $60 games.

I dont know a whole lot about computer hardware, but I do know that 16 cores is a lot of cores. seems unlikely, but I wouldnt be totally surprised. Micro processors just keep getting cheaper and cheaper...

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

The Wii is supposed to have 16 cores or something like that...so hmm..possible.but at what fucking price point? >__> didn't they learn from the PS3?

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Manila Plague wrote:PC wins

Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Tuzki-bunny-emoticon-027

Manila Plague

Manila Plague

face it buddy... PC wins

10Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 00:28

I highly doubt I will own any of the next generation of consoles. My PC right now will run laps around whatever tech they put in them, and I don't have to deal with fucking Microsoft and Sony.

Like I said, the GPU alone is almost 500$ in this article. It requires quite a large case to accommodate the heat produced. These two reasons alone probably make this rumor bs.

A 16 core cpu is hilarious. Anything more than a quad core right now and for the foreseeable future is basically pointless in the gaming world. I cannot begin to even imagine why they would do or even think that would be a good idea.

Now for speculation, if they did do this, the thing would be fucking huge and expensive as hell.

11Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 00:58

Pariah

Pariah

Metalzoic wrote:
Manila Plague wrote:PC wins

Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Tuzki-bunny-emoticon-027

this is the first and only time I will agree with Metal over Manila.

and you call us xbox fans bad.

12Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 01:14

Having 16 cpu cores would just be stupid, AMD already proved that throwing moar cores are something does not actually increase performance, but decreases it in most cases, plus the price would be astronomical. If it it referring to GPU cores it is again stupid because you standard GPU now of days contains hundreds (or in high end cases thousands) of cores.

13Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 01:28

Manila Plague

Manila Plague

you can agree with whoever you want pariah... i doesn't change my opinion

i've been console my entire life and now that i see what games should look like there is no going back

14Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 01:53

Patrick Star

Patrick Star

isee how it is plague No

15Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 08:25

Chewy

Chewy

PrototypeT800 wrote:Having 16 cpu cores would just be stupid, AMD already proved that throwing moar cores are something does not actually increase performance, but decreases it in most cases, plus the price would be astronomical. If it it referring to GPU cores it is again stupid because you standard GPU now of days contains hundreds (or in high end cases thousands) of cores.

That's not true, if you have enough multiproccessing it would totally be worth it.

But something for the sole purpose of gaming? Yeah... that's dumb.

16Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 08:28

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

*reads title*

Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Funny-gifs-i-lold

no.

17Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 09:33

Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze

Manila Plague wrote:you can agree with whoever you want pariah... i doesn't change my opinion

i've been console my entire life and now that i see what games should look like there is no going back

Camel wrote:isee how it is plague No

It's all about the camaraderie, man. Not the visuals...

18Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 09:48

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

Yeah,I'm not very tech savvy but have heard that 4 cores is enough for a long time,and it said actually most pc games don't do a good job utilizing all 4 cores,read that dual core was actually optimum *shrug* the 360 has a 3 core processor (never hear about any pc gamer having triple core cpu oddly)

I guess at the end it doesn't matter,the games will look decent,I mostly care about gameplay.

19Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 12:03

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

I just can't imagine playing BF3 or something similar with a mouse and keyboard. I've played with a controller all my life, I wouldn't be able to hand;e having to lear from scratch again. It would decrease my performance, which increases my rage, which lowers my fun ratio. Plus I would miss playing with all you losers >_> lol

20Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 12:55

sheep

sheep

The bf just bought an 8 core processor for his computer. That thing loads faster than I breath. Its kind of scary.

16 sounds like way more power than you would need to run most video games, especially xbox games. But what the hell do I know.

I used to game a lot on my computer, just never multiplayer games.

21Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 15:37

sheep wrote:The bf just bought an 8 core processor for his computer. That thing loads faster than I breath. Its kind of scary.

16 sounds like way more power than you would need to run most video games, especially xbox games. But what the hell do I know.

I used to game a lot on my computer, just never multiplayer games.

He didnt buy the 8 core just for games did he?

I have an I7 quad core, and hardly any games at all use even three.

22Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 15:42

sheep

sheep

I have no idea. I think he got it because he could lol

23Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 15:45

Oh he is one of those types.... Very Happy

24Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 17:07

Duck

Duck

So what is it that prevents companies from making tri-core processors? OCD?

25Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 17:24

Chewy

Chewy

I think there are some tri-core processors, not exacty common though... They would make sense for gaming, two cores for the game and then one core for any background activity on the desktop.

26Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 17:32

ARMA 2 eats the CPU alive, however very few games take advantage of more than two.

27Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 18:07

Voltaire

Voltaire

AMD has been making Tri-core processors for a while. The only thing is they are Quad-core processors that have one bad core that has been disabled.

https://www.youtube.com/user/voltaire9

28Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 18:12

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

How big is each core?

29Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 18:13

Frostbyrn wrote:How big is each core?

Roughly an 1/8th of an inch Very Happy

30Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-13, 18:17

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Sym wrote:
Frostbyrn wrote:How big is each core?

Roughly an 1/8th of an inch Very Happy

Wow thats bigger than ------------'s penis

31Next Xbox to have 16 cores? Empty Re: Next Xbox to have 16 cores? 2012-04-15, 23:06

unisyst

unisyst

Wirth's Law of computing:

Software quality is degrading while hardware is improving. Consoles do kind of last longer as they have a period where there is no hardware improvements. Utilization of the hardware and pushing it to the limit is what extends the life of consoles. Best example ever imo is Shadow of the Colossus for PS2.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum