New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Getting a used slim ps2 good idea?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

been wanting to pick one up again (lost the original slim I had since they came out when I moved last year.....my god that thing would get boiling hot but it was reliable as hell...I think the ONLY game it wouldn't read was Gran Turismo 4 but I heard that game like killed alot of PS2s lol it was supposedly too much for them to handle...

I'd get a new one,but...my god....they're like 150 bucks brand new online now =/ ,walmart or any place don't carry them for 99bucks brand new anymore

used slims go for like $40-60 from what I've seen.

I'd like a 90001 series though, it was the last one they made, it had an internal power supply (meaning no power brick) and they NEVER got hot at all...an ex of mine had a silver 90001 model and it would stay on all day lol

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

I had one of the original PS2 slims, and it still works to this day. Doesn't sound very good though

Pariah

Pariah

I've been considering fixing my broken PS3. I found an awesome hack that's surprisingly legal. It allows you to partition the drive and set up a linux parallel OS, so you can dualboot with the PS3 system for gaming, and the Linux OS to use it as a computer.

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Pariah wrote:I've been considering fixing my broken PS3. I found an awesome hack that's surprisingly legal. It allows you to partition the drive and set up a linux parallel OS, so you can dualboot with the PS3 system for gaming, and the Linux OS to use it as a computer.

wow, that's pretty cool. can you use KB/M on the linux boot? also, can you run Steam with Linux on the PS3? i'm not sure if Steam has been released on Linux yet, but Valve were planning it a few months ago Smile

Pariah

Pariah

Kb/M, absolutely. It can totally use them.

Linux-based Steam, maybe. I don't know if Steam has been released for Linux, so I'll just go with maybe.

edit: there is no Linux Steam Client yet. So no Steam sadly.

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Pariah wrote:Kb/M, absolutely. It can totally use them.

Linux-based Steam, maybe. I don't know if Steam has been released for Linux, so I'll just go with maybe.

edit: there is no Linux Steam Client yet. So no Steam sadly.

nice. if a steam client for Linux is released that could be veeeery interesting (if the hack is legal of course) since you could play a bunch of linux/PC games on the PS3 Razz

Pariah

Pariah

The Adli Corporation wrote:
nice. if a steam client for Linux is released that could be veeeery interesting (if the hack is legal of course) since you could play a bunch of linux/PC games on the PS3 Razz

Here's the thing. The hack is not only legal, it doesn't even void the warranty.

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Pariah wrote:

Here's the thing. The hack is not only legal, it doesn't even void the warranty.

so could you be able play true 1080p games on the PS3 (albeit at shitty settings) since it would be a PC game running on a PC OS with console specs, not a console game running on a console OS with console specs?

Pariah

Pariah

so could you be able play true 1080p games on the PS3 (albeit at shitty settings) since it would be a PC game running on a PC OS with console specs, not a console game running on a console OS with console specs?

Pretty much yeah. I'll have to look up the article again when I get to school on Monday, but yeah. This is literally setting up a computer in a PS3. And it can still play PS3 games.

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Pariah wrote:

Pretty much yeah. I'll have to look up the article again when I get to school on Monday, but yeah. This is literally setting up a computer in a PS3. And it can still play PS3 games.

wow, that's pretty cool considering the amount of cheap indie/F2P games that steam has, that on a PS3 would be a neat way for gamers to get exclusives from both sides of PC and PS3 Smile

Pariah wrote:I've been considering fixing my broken PS3. I found an awesome hack that's surprisingly legal. It allows you to partition the drive and set up a linux parallel OS, so you can dualboot with the PS3 system for gaming, and the Linux OS to use it as a computer.

OtherOS support for the PS3 was removed a long time ago, and I believe there is no current way to instill linux to a PS3 with the latest firmware. And even if you could, you would not be able to play any complex 3D games. (read anything made past 2006 I would assume)

Pariah

Pariah

Tom wrote:

OtherOS support for the PS3 was removed a long time ago, and I believe there is no current way to instill linux to a PS3 with the latest firmware. And even if you could, you would not be able to play any complex 3D games. (read anything made past 2006 I would assume)

the article I found was from I think November of last year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum