+5
Ante
StormEye
JrTapia1991
The Adli Corporation
Pariah
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Getting a new graphics card Empty Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 13:51

Pariah

Pariah

Would a GTX 650 be a good choice? My 9800 GT is giving me a ton of problems with games, I'd like to get something better.

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

what is your budget?

also, post full specs, not much point in getting an expensive GPU if your CPU isnt up to snuff, or if your mobo cant take it Smile

Need a budget

Pariah

Pariah

I don't really have a set budget, I'm just hoping to get something that's not too expensive. I don't need a ridiculous card that can max out anything, just something fairly strong.

as for specs:
Getting a new graphics card V1blD

I would shoot for the 660 if you could swing it.

Pariah

Pariah

Alright, I'll try and get it. If that fails though, would a 650 be good enough to run games like Civ 5, TF2, stuff like that, decently?

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

err... yeah. i have the GT650m (ie the weaker mobile version) and its performed decently so far. i do have a pretty respectable mobile CPU though Razz

Those games yes the 650 would do.

But its not gonna run anything graphic intensive with decent performance(depends what you consider decent I guess)

I just looked at prices, big difference in price. 660 is much better than 650 from the benchmarks Ive seen. But you'll pay a premium for it. Really depends on what your looking for.

Are those the only games youll be playing for the most part?

The Adli Corporation wrote:err... yeah. i have the GT650m (ie the weaker mobile version) and its performed decently so far. i do have a pretty respectable mobile CPU though Razz

You play Planetside on that thing?

10Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 15:05

Pariah

Pariah

Sym wrote:Those games yes the 650 would do.

But its not gonna run anything graphic intensive with decent performance(depends what you consider decent I guess)

I just looked at prices, big difference in price. 660 is much better than 650 from the benchmarks Ive seen. But you'll pay a premium for it. Really depends on what your looking for.

Are those the only games youll be playing for the most part?

Yeah, the additional $100+ is a deterrent to me, but idk, I'll see if I can get a 660.

In my entire library of games, I don't have too much that's graphics-intensive. I can play most of my games on good settings already, I'd just like to get something better. Probably the only real graphics issues I've had so far are with TF2 lagging at times and with everything else becoming slow as a tortoise when I'm playing Civ. Since I don't plan on getting Borderlands 2 or anything else very graphics-heavy, I guess I don't really need anything too spectacular.

11Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 15:10

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Sym wrote:
The Adli Corporation wrote:err... yeah. i have the GT650m (ie the weaker mobile version) and its performed decently so far. i do have a pretty respectable mobile CPU though Razz

You play Planetside on that thing?

yeah, on medium-low.

it struggles with MMO's, i was playing medium-low in Guild Wars 2 and im also playing Medium-Low in Firefall (although its beta and they havent tightened optimisation in a while).

im getting better frames in Firefall compared to Planetside or Guild Wars though.

other games like Skyrim, Fallout, Just Cause, etc are fine. play all of them with medium-high settings at 1080 with little issue and in Skyrims case... quite a few graphical mods Smile

12Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 15:12

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

650ti is a little more and would be better(can't SLI though)but I'm sure the regular 650 would be decent enough,just depends on the settings I guess. Hell I heard even to this day the classic gtx 460 is still decent

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-benchmark-gk106,3318-6.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-benchmark-gk106,3318-19.html

they recommend the amd 7850 for 30 bucks more.

>.< so many choices

13Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 15:57

Pariah

Pariah

whelp...fuck.

My dad has decided to "prioritize". Instead of replacing a four year old GPU in a computer that's used daily, he's decided to get my sister an iPad. And on top of that, he's getting my mum a new GPU for her computer. Her computer...that only I use. Seriously, the only use that computer has gotten in the last week was me turning it on and finding out what kind of video card it has. So now she's getting a new card, my sister is getting an iPad (my sister doesn't know the difference between computer RAM and the type that used to be put on sacrificial altars) and if I'm very very lucky, I might finally get a new card for Christmas

14Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 15:59

Pariah

Pariah

So now my gpu question boils down to this, do I stick with my 9800 GT, or should I scavenge my mum's soon to be replaced GT 630?

15Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 16:20

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Pariah wrote:So now my gpu question boils down to this, do I stick with my 9800 GT, or should I scavenge my mum's soon to be replaced GT 630?

maybe, but i think it wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

16Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 16:34

Pariah

Pariah

Eh, I'll get to that once I fix the bigger problems.

BOOTMGR is apparently missing.

17Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 16:44

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Pariah wrote:Eh, I'll get to that once I fix the bigger problems.

Getting a new graphics card Funny-gifs-no-it-isnt-doctor

18Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 16:44

What a disappointing thread

19Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 17:33

Pariah

Pariah

The Adli Corporation wrote:
Pariah wrote:Eh, I'll get to that once I fix the bigger problems.

Getting a new graphics card Funny-gifs-no-it-isnt-doctor

And I have no idea why it did. Because here was my solution.

Unplug my wireless mouse...plug it in. Restart.

Works fine now.

Sym, why the disappointment?

20Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 17:55

Isnt it obvious?

You were gonna upgrade, now your not

< sad

21Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 19:10

Pariah

Pariah

Oh, yeah, that was my first idea but I was a bit unsure.

And apparently now I am gonna upgrade. My dad was like "eh, fuck it. Just send me a link to a good one at a decent price and it's ok"

22Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 19:13

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Pariah wrote:Oh, yeah, that was my first idea but I was a bit unsure.

And apparently now I am gonna upgrade. My dad was like "eh, fuck it. Just send me a link to a good one at a decent price and it's ok"

GTX690. DO EEEET!

23Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 20:16

Pariah

Pariah

Pariah wrote:Oh, yeah, that was my first idea but I was a bit unsure.

GTX690. DO EEEET!

lol no.

Maybe this though?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130838

24Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 20:56

StormEye

StormEye

Pariah wrote:Alright, I'll try and get it. If that fails though, would a 650 be good enough to run games like Civ 5, TF2, stuff like that, decently?

ANY dedicated (heck even integrated) GPU these days can play TF2.

CiV is not exactly a good game for measuring what card you want to buy. As even with 590 & 680, at full option, falls below 60 fps at times. Have not tried with 2x680 though.

25Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 22:26

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

yea I heard for the bargain price,the 650ti is decent for the money.

plus it has a free AC3 with it Razz

http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-650-Ti/Item3708.aspx

it seems much better at Civ 5.

I had to turn all the bells and whistles off,didn't matter to me much since I'm used to the xbox version of Torchlight 1,but even on my shitty laptop TL2 plays buttery smooth lol

26Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-24, 22:53

Ante

Ante

For any decent gaming you're going to want at least a base 660, imo.

27Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 01:39

Twitchy

Twitchy

If you can swing a 670, it'll rock your balls off. Just saying Wink

28Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 08:03

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

Ante wrote:For any decent gaming you're going to want at least a base 660, imo.

Yeah the 660 is significantly better than the 650. I say go with the 660.

29Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 10:07

Chewy

Chewy

HydrasBreath wrote:

And the 670 is significantly better than the 660. So might as well go with that while you're at it. Very Happy

30Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 10:17

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Chewy wrote:
HydrasBreath wrote:

And the 670 is significantly better than the 660. So might as well go with that while you're at it. Very Happy

but, if he is getting a 670 might as well get a 680 and get longer use out of it.

31Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 10:33

Chewy

Chewy

Chewy wrote:
HydrasBreath wrote:

but, if he is getting a 670 might as well get a 680 and get longer use out of it.

If he's going for longer use, might as well get a 690.

32Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 10:36

StormEye

StormEye

I really would not recommend dual GPU card.

Every game that has issue with SLI will have issue with dual GPU card.

33Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 10:46

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Chewy wrote:
Chewy wrote:
HydrasBreath wrote:

If he's going for longer use, might as well get a 690.

i dunno, the 7xx series might come out soon, i think he should wait for a GTX790

34Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 12:42

Pariah

Pariah

keep in mind, I'm going from this:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+9800+GT&id=60

which can run most of my games perfectly well (seriously, what do you guys play that is decent gaming and very intensive? I played the Planetside 2 beta just fine on this card)

to this:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+650+Ti&id=2177

35Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 13:00

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I wondered too...like dual 1080p monitors with everything maxed out and all the AA and stuff on? I guess I'm really not picky with all that stuff,I'm fine playing stuff on low lol.

I've been thinking 660ti or amd 7950,but might go with that 650ti or something cheap.It would still be an extreme extreme upgrade from what I have now

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=M880G+with+Mobility+Radeon+HD+4200&id=249

even the 9800gt would be a million times better than what I have now

>___> and anything would be better than this cpu I have.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Sempron+M100&id=417

36Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 18:05

Lots of games require a much better card than a 650 or 660 to fully max

37Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 18:08

Pariah

Pariah

Like what?

Also, I'm not really trying to max out anything. I can play most of my games at their highest settings, but I don't really care about graphics too much.

38Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 18:20

Do i really need to make a list?

Just a few that require a powerful GPU

- BF3
- SKyrim with mods
- Crysis series
- Assassins Creed series(especially the new one)
- Planetside 2( you didnt run this game on high, not even close. Its one of the most demanding games out now to max )
- Sleeping Dogs
-Batman games
- May Payne 3
- Saints Row the 3rd
- The Witcher 1 and 2
- Borderlands 2 with PHSYX

Etc

this is just a quick, very short list of games you would not be able to max on a 650 or even a 660.

I have a 580, and its starting to show its age on some of the newer games. Although I can almost max PS2 at 60 fps.

Just saying

Last edited by Sym on 2012-11-25, 18:23; edited 1 time in total

39Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 18:21

If you dont care about graphics then why are you looking to upgrade?

If you can max all your games already then whats the point of getting a new gpu?

Im curious

40Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 18:52

Pariah

Pariah

Sym wrote:If you dont care about graphics then why are you looking to upgrade?

If you can max all your games already then whats the point of getting a new gpu?

Im curious

because I have a few concerns about the actual card itself. I've had numerous problems with heat output from it, and the part that most bothers me is the noise. I can literally hear the thing working from thirty feet away.

Also, I can max games, I didn't say they play well at max. I run most of them on medium, a few on high. I played Planetside 2 on the medium setting, and it was lagging a bit as well. If I'm going to start playing stuff like that, I'd like to have a better card to do it on.

41Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 19:45

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

yeah, good luck maxing Planetside 2 without a large investment Razz

42Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 19:55

Pariah

Pariah

The Adli Corporation wrote:yeah, good luck maxing Planetside 2 without a large investment Razz

I don't really think it'll stay too big a priority to me. I like the game, but it feels like...I don't love it. It's a quality game, and I'll be playing from time to time, but it's like, it doesn't feel as fun as some others.

43Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 19:58

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Pariah wrote:
The Adli Corporation wrote:yeah, good luck maxing Planetside 2 without a large investment Razz

I don't really think it'll stay too big a priority to me. I like the game, but it feels like...I don't love it. It's a quality game, and I'll be playing from time to time, but it's like, it doesn't feel as fun as some others.

i know how you feel. i enjoyed the beta, but release has hit my desire to play pretty hard. having to wait for an hour to swap continents... not fun. i could pay to get priority in queues on a monthly basis, but i'd rather pay to get more cool shit in Firefall Razz

44Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 20:00

Pariah

Pariah

Pariah wrote:

i know how you feel. i enjoyed the beta, but release has hit my desire to play pretty hard. having to wait for an hour to swap continents... not fun. i could pay to get priority in queues on a monthly basis, but i'd rather pay to get more cool shit in Firefall Razz

or you know, a cool game that doesn't require you to wait for hours or pay for in game items (lookin at you Deus Ex xD)

45Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 20:08

Its F2P.....

46Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 20:14

chunckylover53

I've been so tempted to build a new comp to play some MMOs, feel like that MMO bug is getting back inside of me.

47Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 20:15

Pariah

Pariah

Sym wrote:Its F2P.....

I was referring to Adli's comment about paying for priority in queues in Planetside 2 vs. microtransactions in Firefall.

48Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 20:20

Pariah wrote:

I was referring to Adli's comment about paying for priority in queues in Planetside 2 vs. microtransactions in Firefall.

Word

49Getting a new graphics card Empty Re: Getting a new graphics card 2012-11-25, 22:17

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

Pariah wrote:

Firefall is F2P too. the microtransactions are purely cosmetic or convenient: eg, they sell a rechargable Glider Pad, but you can also make packs of Glider Pads using in-game items, commanders (people who support the game a lot in development) get a special LGV (motorbike, basically a 'mount') but everyone else can get LGVs by doing dynamic events and later on they will be able to build their own using in-game items.

a lot of the store items are like TF2s system: silly hats, glasses, items (fireworks, tiki torches, etc) for entertainment.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum