New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should I redo my Tankers 101 guide?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Thinking of doing it in a series of videos this time around to help make it more accessible to newbies.

Also going to try and play more often in armor to get better at shooting down helicopters and the like. Thoughts?

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

DoOOOO it.
I'd watch.

StormEye

StormEye

As long as you are going to cover how to exploit Staff Shell to its fullest potential.

<_<
>_>

Slide~

Seriously, though, there is no reason to use anything else if you are playing in conquest or any vehicle centric mode. Just go around staff shelling every other vehicle will give you nice KD along with SPM.

Anyway, besides my ranting about staff shell, Sabot is the way to go. After spending so much time in tank (honestly I don't trust anyone else in my team with it), I have concluded that

Sabot
Coax LMG
Zoom
Active Protection

is the best combo for tanking. Maybe swap zoom with thermal if enemy team is mine happy, or your team sucks are helping out with mine clearing.

Ante

Ante

StormEye wrote:As long as you are going to cover how to exploit Staff Shell to its fullest potential.

<_<
>_>

Slide~

Seriously, though, there is no reason to use anything else if you are playing in conquest or any vehicle centric mode. Just go around staff shelling every other vehicle will give you nice KD along with SPM.

Anyway, besides my ranting about staff shell, Sabot is the way to go. After spending so much time in tank (honestly I don't trust anyone else in my team with it), I have concluded that

Sabot
Coax LMG
Zoom
Active Protection

is the best combo for tanking. Maybe swap zoom with thermal if enemy team is mine happy, or your team sucks are helping out with mine clearing.

I took out 2 MBTs and an LAV in quick succession as they were all firing on me with STAFF and Active Protection. I was laughing so hard at how broken it was.

Also, I find that on Zavod I like to run the AP shell and canister shot with the thermal optics because of how infantry focused the map is.

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Not sure what it is, but I have mixed results with the staff shell. At greater distances it doesn't seem to lock on at times. Very odd, combine that with the fact that your ability to take out infantry is greatly diminished, you really need to have a good gunner if you want to survive long.

What I've found to be the most effective is that on maps such as Golmud railway, staff shell and sabot shells are fantastic, due to the long range nature of the map.

For CQC maps, HE shells + canister or of you have a good gunner, HE+Staff shell is a very potent combo. Active protection is pretty much a must if you're going up against enemy armor. Smoke is great when you haven't unlocked the reactive armor since it negates critical hits if you're unlucky enough to be caught with your pants down.

Of course, your tank is only as good as the infantry support that you have around you, as well as the pilots that at flying above you. If you lack air superiority and the enemy has some good pilots, you're pretty boned for the most part.

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

Do it. I really haven't messed around with all the different tank options yet, and I'm curious how effective things like the canister shell, and some of the other main shell perform.

StormEye

StormEye

I haven't had any issue with Staff Shell at extended ranges. Only issue I had was with air vehicles, but its not intended for them anyway.

You don't need to engage enemy infantry if your tank's sole role is anti-vehicle.

It sounds odd, but its better for you to run away from infantry and staff shell enemy vehicles with cheap shots as much as possible. If you can single handedly take out enemy armour division, then just being able to pick off one or two infantry extra (whether its done by gunner or by yourself) is more than enough to make the trade off. Heck, just taking out one enemy armour with 100% certainty and just running away will net enough result in a big picture. Afterall, its 1-0 (ish, as ticket counting seems slightly different now) in ticket count and you are still alive to go and cap another flag.

Just by removing enemy armour, your team has a shield that is alive and funcitonal (and still deadly enough with gunner alone, or direct/indirect shell shot), while enemy has to deal with two different target classes and having higher risk of death.

HE shell takes 1 second longer to reload (not replenish), which can serve to be detrimental when facing against another armour that has active protection. And you have to work with more guessworks that lead to misses. I only find it to be useful in taking out IFV, as its two shot kill to the side. I used to use HE shell exclusively, but I have switched due to inconsistency in my performance.

Ante

Ante

It's also not that hard to snipe infantry with sabot rounds due to the high velocity and low drop.

StormEye

StormEye

Btw, its not just me that I have to aim slightly left of my target to get a direct hit on infantry, right? It seems that the camera angle being skewed to the left (not in line with the barrel) makes it impossible to hit infantry (or small target) if I am aiming straight on.

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I've noticed that as well. Very odd indeed, though it is a bit more realistic I think.

There are some interesting things id like to try with the editing of the videos. One of them is to shmide the overlay and use spectator mode to watch people play and then highlight examples of bad tactics or perhaps using screen shots of such things going on and then giving visual reference of what would be wise to do in regards to tactics.

StormEye

StormEye

There are lots of idiot tankers out there (IFV drivers included). I kind of want them to stay that way.

<_<
>_>

One highlight was a guy driving towards me head on, and I was expecting a chicken race firefight. But it turned out that he was driving BACKWARDS. Meaning he was having his rear armour exposed to be right in the face. Simple two shot kill. LoL

Another one would be (I did this as well, last night...) forgetting that the cannon is set to secondary Canister Shell, and trying to engage enemy heavys. Jar.... I don't use canister on IFV at all, but I have seen one guy forgetting that he had set it as canister and was charging straight at me firing IFV canister. LoL

BTW, I gave canister shell another shot last night. I am not liking it much. I gave it another go last night, but its just not able to provide flexibility of coax LMG. Having to choose one target at a time with long reload (especially when there are two different target classes) proved detrimental. Also, what happened to the knock-back effect that it used to have on helos? It just damages them, and does not provide any sort of knock back effect that would hinder their flight.

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

StormEye wrote:There are lots of idiot tankers out there (IFV drivers included). I kind of want them to stay that way.

<_<
>_>

One highlight was a guy driving towards me head on, and I was expecting a chicken race firefight. But it turned out that he was driving BACKWARDS. Meaning he was having his rear armour exposed to be right in the face. Simple two shot kill. LoL

Another one would be (I did this as well, last night...) forgetting that the cannon is set to secondary Canister Shell, and trying to engage enemy heavys. Jar.... I don't use canister on IFV at all, but I have seen one guy forgetting that he had set it as canister and was charging straight at me firing IFV canister. LoL

BTW, I gave canister shell another shot last night. I am not liking it much. I gave it another go last night, but its just not able to provide flexibility of coax LMG. Having to choose one target at a time with long reload (especially when there are two different target classes) proved detrimental. Also, what happened to the knock-back effect that it used to have on helos? It just damages them, and does not provide any sort of knock back effect that would hinder their flight.

I think they nerfed it so that it wouldn't
t be too "OP" against aircraft. Hell, even the main shell doesn't OHK helicopters anymore if I recall.

Ante

Ante

Artimise Flare wrote:
StormEye wrote:There are lots of idiot tankers out there (IFV drivers included). I kind of want them to stay that way.

<_<
>_>

I think they nerfed it so that it wouldn't
t be too "OP" against aircraft. Hell, even the main shell doesn't OHK helicopters anymore if I recall.

HE shells OHK non-transport choppers. Even though AP and Sabot don't OHK them, I say good luck not eating dirt to the pilot.

StormEye

StormEye

I think scout helo is one shot regardless of type of shell (except canister of course). I have taken down fully functional scout helo with sabot.

As mentioned, even if it doesn't go down in a single shot, there is no way they recover from the shot, unless they are so high up that they are able to flip the helo back into correct position.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum