Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone here have experience in building and painting scale models?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I'm looking into getting into the hobby of making and painting scale model planes, tanks, and helicopters. However I have no idea where to start, what kinds of paint to look for and so on.

Figured there has to be at least a few creative folk here on SEC, anyone care to help me out here? Smile

MADEWITHROBOTS

MADEWITHROBOTS

If you're completely new to it, I'd probably recommend getting hold of some 'all in one' starter kits that include a model and all the paints etc. as well.

Over here, we have Airfix - a name which has become synonymous with the hobby:

http://www.airfix.com/

They have all sorts of kits catering to different skill levels. If nothing else, hopefully the site has some useful info for you Smile

TexasMace

TexasMace

I'm working on an A-10 Thunderbolt right now, Artimise and I have built quite a few.
Robots gave you a good tip.
I suspect you have enough artistic talent to jump right in.
It's a long process but very rewarding when you get there. The first thing I would suggest is that you can't do it without an airbrush so get an "okay one" and start there. Harbor freight has a good deal on a compressor/airbrush combo right now. I did the air cans for a while and ended paying so much in cans that I could have bought a really nice airbrush before I finished my first model. I'd start with Tamiya acrylic model paint and not oils, like Testors, the acrylic is easier to clean up, you won't have to paint outside for fear of killing the family with the fumes, and the stuff goes on so smooth.
I paint everything on the sprue, including my dry-brushing for weathering the cockpit and other pieces then I put it all together. I paint the fuselage and wings with a base color first then I glue the whole thing together. I then coat it with a gloss clear coat, let it dry very well. Make a wash by watering down black paint then use a brush and paint it in all the panel seams and details. Quickly take a wet towel and wipe all of it off while wiping front to back and then you have nice panel details.
Another method is to paint everything black then do your top colors but airbrush over all the seams lightly so the black shows through slightly.
There are a lot of methods and a lot of cool little tricks so let me know if you need any help.

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Awesome guys, thanks Very Happy

TexasMace

TexasMace

Here's a link to a great resource for model building, Artimise.

http://www.arcair.com/

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Very Happy thanks Texas! By the way, how long have you been making model planes and such?

TexasMace

TexasMace

Quite welcome, sir.
I've been doing it for about thirty years off and on. I was never good at it until I was able to get an airbrush. All my old models are long gone so I only have a TBM Avenger I did a year ago. I'll try to post a pic when I find one.

Models waiting on me in the box:

Focke Wulf 190-A
Stuka Dive Bomber
F-18 Super Hornet
P-51 Mustang
F-22 Raptor
Numerous Tank models

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Awesome, I hope to have a display case or a shelf some day of the most famous WWII tanks and such in 1/34(35) scale

any suggestions on where I should go as far as shopping is concerned for good scale WWII tank models?

TexasMace

TexasMace

I'd stick with 1/48 scale.

Squadron.com has a huge selection and they are pretty fair on price.

TexasMace

TexasMace

I'll probably post too many pics but here's the Avenger.

Anyone here have experience in building and painting scale models? Tbmave10

Anyone here have experience in building and painting scale models? Tbmave11

Anyone here have experience in building and painting scale models? Tbmave12

Anyone here have experience in building and painting scale models? Homeli10

Anyone here have experience in building and painting scale models? Avenge10

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Awesome model there Tex Very Happy how long did it take for you to complete it?
Also why 1/48 scale? Easier to do? I won't be starting on that scale of course, that' will be something I'll tackle later once I've got some experience under my belt.

MADEWITHROBOTS

MADEWITHROBOTS

Tex, that's really awesome work! It's a better finish than many I've seen on display in stores.

It's something I've thought about getting into, but at the moment just don't have the time or space to do so. I used to know someone who built a few, and I put one together myself about 15 years ago but that's all the experience I have at the moment.

TexasMace

TexasMace

Thanks, guys!
That one took about three months but I didn't work on it the entire time and it was a very detailed and difficult kit. Most kits aren't that involved and only take a couple of weeks.
1/48 scale for planes because they are much easier to handle and there is a bigger selection IMO. With tanks you won't escape the 1/35 scale because that's all they make, i think.
This stuff is a lot easier to do than most people think, guys. There are many simple tricks that make it look like you worked your ass off but you didn't.
I'll post the Warthog as I work on it.

Zillah

Zillah

yeah tex that is really well done, you can see the wear on it and everything. You could probably convince me it was the real thing.

TexasMace

TexasMace

Thank you, Zillah ma man!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum