HydrasBreath ♜
Ars Diaboli
MADEWITHROBOTS
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Got my website up Empty Got my website up 2013-07-02, 13:20

MADEWITHROBOTS

MADEWITHROBOTS

Thanks again to all those who've given feedback on the artwork I've posted up here in the past Smile 

For anyone who's interested, I have now got my portfolio site up and running - please feel free to have a nose around:

www.madewithrobots.com

If you want to post back here (or via the contact form on the site) with any feedback - good or bad - it's very much appreciated!

Otherwise, this is what's been keeping me busy recently, so I thought I'd share Very Happy 

Thanks!

2Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-02, 16:01

Looks good

You have some talent though Nice work

3Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-02, 17:21

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

Looks all right. You made the site yourself? (Yes, I'm checking the site, not your pictures Razz)

4Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-02, 17:31

Yea the site layout is kinda meh

But I like the art work

5Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-02, 17:36

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

Jesus dude your art is pretty damn awesome. You're talented for sure.

6Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-02, 17:48

Duck

Duck

i really like the rain pic. if you unfocus your eyes looks like a photo and you can suddenly see how wet it looks and the lighthouses and things.

7Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-02, 18:21

MADEWITHROBOTS

MADEWITHROBOTS

Cool, thanks guys Smile

Yeah, I put it all together myself - obviously the artwork is the most important thing about it, but I want the site to be nice and clean to navigate as well.

It's pretty no-frills, I want it to be easy for someone to click in, find the work and look at it with the minimum of fuss. Hands down, that's the most important thing by far.

Although, with that said, I wasn't aiming for 'meh', haha. Is there anything in particular that made you feel that way?

I can live with people not being lit up by the colours and design (opinions!), so long as it succeeds in being easy to navigate and intuitive to use - if I scored there, then I'm happy.

Thanks for taking the time out to check it out, whether you posted back or not Smile

8Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-02, 18:27

I dont particularly like the layout is all

I dont like the huge borders, but the more I think about it, the simplicity suits the sites goal. Simple, easy fast.

Is this your first site? What did you use to build it?

9Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-02, 18:39

MADEWITHROBOTS

MADEWITHROBOTS

Fair enough, Sym - thank you for your comments!

It's not the first site I've ever built, but it is the first in a very long time. I built it using Webplus X6 - it's a drag-and-drop type affair, perfect for html illiterates like me.

To be honest, the borders thing boiled down to building something that would translate well to as many different screens as possible - old school, widescreen, tablet, mobile etc. - with the minimum extra work required at the site building end for me.

Webplus doesn't support fluid layouts, so I can't have it adjust itself depending on the screen. Putting everything in the middle like that seemed the simplest way to provide something that has the best chance of working well on any screen, but the wider the screen the greater the borders on either side.

I looked at a bunch of other sites and it's a pretty common style - even here, on the SeC! It's just that my borders are a nice bright orange, hahaha Very Happy

10Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-02, 18:45

Orange!

11Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-02, 20:59

chunckylover53

Very nice.

12Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-02, 23:01

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

I don't particularly like the "style" of the site, but its simplicity works very well, which is what you wanted. I had absolutely no trouble navigating it, though it's a small site so it shouldn't be a problem either way.

Overall, if you like how it looks yourself, that's what matters. Sorry if I'm too focused on the site itself, instead of its purpose. Web developer behaviors <_<

13Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-03, 01:06

Siren

Siren

The tornado one is my favourite I think....excellent digital stuff! Smile

14Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-03, 09:00

MADEWITHROBOTS

MADEWITHROBOTS

Ars, that's really helpful thanks - I am more concerned with the function of the site at this point, so focusing on that is fine by me haha! Appreciate that you're not so keen on the style, but great to know that it worked well on a practical level.

With that said, Hydra, Duck and Siren, thanks for the awesome comments on my art! Glad you like it Very Happy

15Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-03, 09:56

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

Site looks good on mobile. I do think the large boaters are what's killing it for some people.

The green landscape speaks to me.

16Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-03, 14:00

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

Checked out your site and I really love of your work. I'm going to have to show the GF because she is into the same kind of thing.

Only small critique about your site, I think the top border is a bit too big. Otherwise I like the rest of the design of it.

17Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-03, 14:54

MADEWITHROBOTS

MADEWITHROBOTS

Thanks Terry! Very Happy

18Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-03, 16:32

Siren

Siren

yeah its pretty damn schnazzy on mobile. I need to learn web design myself aaaaaaa....

19Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-03, 17:20

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Siren wrote: I need to learn web design myself aaaaaaa....

Dear god dont say that ever again Very Happy

20Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-03, 17:23

MADEWITHROBOTS

MADEWITHROBOTS

Just a quick update - a friend of mine just posted me a screenshot of the 'About' page being all messed because I didn't use a websafe font (webdesign 101).

I've replaced all instances of that font with another, so there shouldn't be any further issues, but it may display slightly differently for you now (the font was used in all the page links at the top of the screen, as well as the text on the 'About' page).

If you guys have all been accessing from pcs though, you probably haven't had this issue - he was on a mac (the only damn things I didn't think to test on already, dammit!)

Also, Siren - I didn't do any coding for this site at all. I took the lazy/easy option of using software that works on a drag and drop basis, so I only had to worry about page layouts etc. rather than functioning code etc.

21Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-03, 17:26

Kaitlynn

Kaitlynn

Very nice! I'm jealous of your artistic prowess.

22Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-03, 17:29

Kaitlynn

Kaitlynn

Siren wrote:yeah its pretty damn schnazzy on mobile. I need to learn web design myself aaaaaaa....

I need to relearn it...been out of that game waay too long.

23Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-04, 04:26

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I'll have to try out sec on my droid later on,should be good,on chrome browser

24Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-06, 21:35

RStudios

Looks ok for what you intend to use it for....

From a professional programming point of view, 99% of it is badly coded, but that generally happens with WYSIWYG web design programs. Also for the mobile part, it doesn't appear to be the least bit responsive o mobile layouts. Cheack here https://quirktools.com/screenfly/

Actually tempted to recode it and send you a better version Very Happy

Sorry if I sound like an asshole lol

25Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-08, 11:26

MADEWITHROBOTS

MADEWITHROBOTS

RStudios wrote:Looks ok for what you intend to use it for....

From a professional programming point of view, 99% of it is badly coded, but that generally happens with WYSIWYG web design programs. Also for the mobile part, it doesn't appear to be the least bit responsive o mobile layouts. Cheack here https://quirktools.com/screenfly/

Actually tempted to recode it and send you a better version Very Happy

Sorry if I sound like an asshole lol

No, you don't sound like an asshole - I appreciate you taking the time to check it out and offer constructive criticism Smile

I'm aware that wysiwyg programs don't offer the cleanest coding, but I made a conscious decision to use one. Ultimately, I'm not a web designer and don't want to work in the field, so I didn't want to spend any time learning to code a site from scratch.

The screenfly site you quoted...I didn't find it to be accurate at all, really. For a start, one of the mobile handsets listed is a Motorola V3 - which is 10 years old.

I'm happy to concede that my site is aimed at smartphone screens and above, and it's displayed really well on every smartphone device I've tested it on/friends have tested it on. The results that screenfly gave for iPhone 5, and Galaxy phones/tablets does not match what I have seen on those actual devices at all...?

26Got my website up Empty Re: Got my website up 2013-07-08, 22:56

Ars Diaboli

Ars Diaboli

To be honest, the "clean coding" part is just to use a standard way to code when making something. Since your site is completely created with an editor, it doesn't matter because no one will ever modify its source code manually. The only reason to care about it when you are using an editor is if it generates really shitty invalid HTML/CSS/JavaScript that fucks up your webpage.

Or if you want someone to modify the source code Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum