JrTapia1991
BmmFlash
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Who here owns a truck? Empty Who here owns a truck? 2013-10-01, 01:30

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

And if you do, how do you like it?
I'm possibly buying one in the next week or two, and so far I'm getting mixed messages from friends and family.
It's a 94 GMC sierra 1500, extended cab short bed, with a 5.7 V8, 4 wheel drive, automatic. It's in excellent condition, with only about 100K miles. The lady who owned it really only used it to tow horses around locally, and the guy who originally bought it plowed his driveway. So the interior is all fresh, and I don't think anyone has even been in the backseats.

So my question to you is, Is there anything you like/dislike about owning a truck? Would you recommend buying one?
This is my first vehicle purchase, so I'm a little nervous about it.

2Who here owns a truck? Empty Re: Who here owns a truck? 2013-10-01, 01:51

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I really liked mine, it's good for if you ever need to move stuff just throw it in the back, mine was like a 92 chevy 2500 long cab it was a gas guzzler lol.

now days I recommend people get the vehicle with the best gas mileage you can get,but, I think trucks get like 15mpg,car in the cheap price range,eh about the same honestly

3Who here owns a truck? Empty Re: Who here owns a truck? 2013-10-01, 01:58

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

From what I researched it's not TOO much more I'll be spending on gas. It is a larger tank by far, so I'll be spending more in one go, but it should last decently long.
Plus the car I currently drive is still available. It's my dads 95 corrolla which has been through hell and back. He bikes to work, so unless its shitty outside I get to drive it to school and such. But if I get the truck, we could just trade on nasty days as well. Though, come winter in Wisco, I'm definitely going to love the all wheel drive.

4Who here owns a truck? Empty Re: Who here owns a truck? 2013-10-01, 14:46

Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

That sounds like a decent vehicle. Just try riding in it before you buy it and make sure the suspension isn't beat to hell in it. A lot of the time when the truck is used for hauling horses its been on a lot of dirt roads, and that can just tear those ball joints and tie rods up.

5Who here owns a truck? Empty Re: Who here owns a truck? 2013-10-01, 14:52

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

I miss my truck. If you don't have issues with seating I'd say do it.

Solely off my advice.

6Who here owns a truck? Empty Re: Who here owns a truck? 2013-10-01, 15:41

chunckylover53

How much do they want for it is the real question.

I'd say i'd only buy one if you absolutely need it.

7Who here owns a truck? Empty Re: Who here owns a truck? 2013-10-01, 16:19

Epyk MD

Epyk MD

How dare you take a partly different stance on the subject Gily.

8Who here owns a truck? Empty Re: Who here owns a truck? 2013-10-01, 17:36

Bla125

Bla125

I would go for something with better gas mileage. My 97 grand prix only gets like 17 mpg city and its terrible. The 18 gallon tank does help, but I feel like dieing when I fill up.

9Who here owns a truck? Empty Re: Who here owns a truck? 2013-10-02, 17:22

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

Gas-wise I figured that I can still take the family Corrolla which gets a bit better gas mileage. I put about $20 into the corrolla per week, and that gets me to school and to work. If I make weekend trips to the city to stay with friends, I usually have to put a tad more in or watch my mileage.
From what I calculated on the truck, I should only have to put 30 in per week. Should. That's totally based off of cost calculators online and stuff.

I just got an update from the lady I would be purchasing it from, and it was only used to plow driveways, so not commercial or city use. Then she just lightly used it as a horse-trailer tower. So I'm hoping that the suspension and transmission are still good.
The extended cab also offers decent seating. It actually has the same amount of space as the corrolla, just without a rear door.

I guess I just need to convince on whichever route to take. I know I would enjoy it, and that having a pickup would be awesome for when I go camping or have to haul equipment or snowboards and skis and all that. Like I would definitely use it as a pickup. The only thing that will suck is gas.
But 4wd in Wisconsin WOULD be nice. Winters freaking suck when your car wont start, and even when it does you can barely drive to school.

10Who here owns a truck? Empty Re: Who here owns a truck? 2013-10-02, 20:15

chunckylover53

Don't worry about gas mileage, worry about initial price and condition. This is a 94 which means it was built in 93 it's 20 years old so keep that in mind.

11Who here owns a truck? Empty Re: Who here owns a truck? 2013-10-03, 05:48

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

chunckylover53 wrote:Don't worry about gas mileage, worry about initial price and condition. This is a 94 which means it was built in 93  it's  20 years old so keep that in mind.
Definitely. The lady is going to fix what needs fixing up front for me. It's actually at her mechanic now.... basically even if I don't buy it she still needs it fixed up. It's been sitting for over a year now, so the battery needs replacing and the brakes need tuning. Other than that it's in very good condition. It doesn't even smell old at all. The interior is spotless, and even the exterior looks damn good for what's almost a 20 year old truck.

12Who here owns a truck? Empty Re: Who here owns a truck? 2013-10-03, 06:09

JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991

I like older trucks like that, even the new trucks now days don't get very much better gas so it's all good

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum