Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking at the 2.8k range for a gaming laptop, suggestions?

+2
chunckylover53
Artimise Flare
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I'm just browsing, and was wondering what close to three grand would get me as far as a good gaming laptop. I'm foreseeing that this will probably replace my desk top one of these days simply because it's way more convenient due to its, slightly greater portability (Laptops in this price range tend to weigh almost as much *exaggerations*)

Anyone got some suggestions?

chunckylover53

I'd check ibuypower.com and xoticpc.com.. They have custom built laptops.

StormEye

StormEye

With that price range, you are going to be looking for alienware...

You can pretty much get anything.

Any particular reason why you are doing so?

I know its for mobility, but why do you need this mobility?

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

The Xchange for the military apparently builds custom Alienwares tax free in conjunction with dell, would that be worth a look?

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I'll most likely be deploying eventually, to the middle east or somewhere in the asian pacific hemisphere in light of recent events. Japan I'd imagine, and I can't take my computer with me. I'm also just trying to plan ahead, and trying to figure out what I can expect to get within that price range. I'm a couple years from doing something like this (Most likely not until I make SrA, Senior Airmen) so I'd rather start doing research into what i may want to look for. Yes I know technology will change, but if I can expect top tier machinery for around that price, that will be cool.

StormEye

StormEye

Definitely.

Its WELL built, and that is the main contribution for its over-pricing. But if you are looking for something solid, and its going to be your MAIN gaming PC, go for it.

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

I was under the impression that alienware was overpriced crap in PC gaming circles. Is that not the case? I haven't read anything good about them really.

StormEye

StormEye

HydrasBreath wrote:I was under the impression that alienware was overpriced crap in PC gaming circles. Is that not the case? I haven't read anything good about them really.

It is overpriced.

Its almost like a luxury car, that actually performs as same as cheaper Japanese cars but just has the name value. But the parts used for its construction is guaranteed.

In normal circumstances, gaming laptop is already a taboo among gamers.

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

StormEye wrote:
HydrasBreath wrote:I was under the impression that alienware was overpriced crap in PC gaming circles. Is that not the case? I haven't read anything good about them really.

It is overpriced.

Its almost like a luxury car, that actually performs as same as cheaper Japanese cars but just has the name value. But the parts used for its construction is guaranteed.

In normal circumstances, gaming laptop is already a taboo among gamers.

Yeah that's what everyone always says when alienware comes up. You can get better for cheaper.

and yeah rig>laptop when gaming is concerned.

StormEye

StormEye

Maybe Arty should be looking into Toughbook.

I've heard it stops bullets. LoL

chunckylover53

StormEye wrote:Maybe Arty should be looking into Toughbook.

I've heard it stops bullets. LoL

Looks like something the military uses O.o

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I can confirm that we DO use those on the flight line in the hangers.

Last edited by Artimise Flare on 2012-09-19, 22:23; edited 1 time in total

StormEye

StormEye

Military does purchase this and installs their own software.

Many businesses use this and issue them to technicians.

EDIT: Darn it Arty...

Care to expand on these recent events?

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

Anti Japanese protests in China, Israel and Iran on the verge of war, Anti American protests and the killing the US ambassador and several others in Libya. The world is a real fucked up place right now. Not to mention the ongoing massacres of thousands of innocents in Syria as well as North Korea's ongoing intercontinental missile testings. The US will most likely be sending soldiers (What little we'll have left after all the budget cuts to our armed forces, thanks Mr higher ups) to try and do what we can, but as it is right now, things are just starting to get hairy again.

Artimise Flare wrote:Anti Japanese protests in China, Israel and Iran on the verge of war, Anti American protests and the killing the US ambassador and several others in Libya. The world is a real fucked up place right now. Not to mention the ongoing massacres of thousands of innocents in Syria as well as North Korea's ongoing intercontinental missile testings. The US will most likely be sending soldiers (What little we'll have left after all the budget cuts to our armed forces, thanks Mr higher ups) to try and do what we can, but as it is right now, things are just starting to get hairy again.

Thanks

TBQH I dont follow world events like I should.....its all just so depressing sometimes I tune it out.

DIdnt hear about the Libya thing

chunckylover53

Sym wrote:
Artimise Flare wrote:Anti Japanese protests in China, Israel and Iran on the verge of war, Anti American protests and the killing the US ambassador and several others in Libya. The world is a real fucked up place right now. Not to mention the ongoing massacres of thousands of innocents in Syria as well as North Korea's ongoing intercontinental missile testings. The US will most likely be sending soldiers (What little we'll have left after all the budget cuts to our armed forces, thanks Mr higher ups) to try and do what we can, but as it is right now, things are just starting to get hairy again.

Thanks

TBQH I dont follow world events like I should.....its all just so depressing sometimes I tune it out.

Whaaat.. It was like all over the news last week and still is a bit.

I dont watch the news, or follow it.

Well sometimes I do, but not always.

I probably should though.....

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

Sym wrote:

Thanks

Yeah I'm the same way...shit is fucked up everywhere and sometimes it's just too much to think about.

Pariah

Pariah

I'm not sure about durability, but Razer put out an updated model of their original gaming laptop. I've heard almost completely good things about it, and I think it's about 2,300 bucks.

Artimise Flare

Artimise Flare

I read up on the new Razer gaming lap top on CNET and it wasn't very favorable. They said other models offer more, but you cannot deny the "cool" factor of the Razer new gaming lap top, but performance wise, it's not up to par with its price tag compared to its competitors.

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

for that price... make sure it has a GTX680m, and also has a removable GPU so you can upgrade in the future. my GPU is soldered to the mobo, but since ill get a new PC/Laptop after uni its not an issue for me.

and a Rig > Laptop, but sometimes it isnt really a wise choice (taking the train back from uni, in my example).

Alienwares are overpriced, but if you can get a VAT-free one then that's quite a saving and they are still solidly built.

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

The Adli Corporation wrote:for that price... make sure it has a GTX680m, and also has a removable GPU so you can upgrade in the future. my GPU is soldered to the mobo, but since ill get a new PC/Laptop after uni its not an issue for me.

and a Rig > Laptop, but sometimes it isnt really a wise choice (taking the train back from uni, in my example).

Alienwares are overpriced, but if you can get a VAT-free one then that's quite a saving and they are still solidly built.

yeah I know a full rig isn't always the best/smartest/most convenient choice. I was just talking pure performance.

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

HydrasBreath wrote:yeah I know a full rig isn't always the best/smartest/most convenient choice. I was just talking pure performance.

indeed. CLEVO is trying to get a SLI GTX680m laptop to be viable... which is freaking insane if they can pull it off Razz

Man just get a high end Asus for like 2 grand and save yourself some cash

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

The Adli Corporation wrote:
HydrasBreath wrote:yeah I know a full rig isn't always the best/smartest/most convenient choice. I was just talking pure performance.

indeed. CLEVO is trying to get a SLI GTX680m laptop to be viable... which is freaking insane if they can pull it off Razz

Damn that would be pretty nuts.

I just hate the small screens of lap tops

HydrasBreath ♜

HydrasBreath ♜

Sym wrote:I just hate the small screens of lap tops

Yeah same...I've been stuck with just a laptop for quite some time now and it's always nice when I get to use my big monitor.

chunckylover53

Sym wrote:Man just get a high end Asus for like 2 grand and save yourself some cash

I actually almost did this earlier in the year >.> had a lot of peer pressure on me.

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

HydrasBreath wrote:

yeah, unfortunately they had to go back to the drawing board recently, so it might be a while Razz

chunckylover53

HydrasBreath wrote:

yeah, unfortunately they had to go back to the drawing board recently, so it might be a while Razz

Eh? I know you can get a dual GTX680M.. Not sure if there is a difference?

Xoticpc.com has it all.

From their site "SLi ENABLED DUAL (2) 4096MB PCI-Express nVIDIA GTX 680M's (8192MB Total) w/ GDDR5 DX11 Video Cards "

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

chunckylover53 wrote:
HydrasBreath wrote:

Eh? I know you can get a dual GTX680M.. Not sure if there is a difference?

Xoticpc.com has it all.

From their site "SLi ENABLED DUAL (2) 4096MB PCI-Express nVIDIA GTX 680M's (8192MB Total) w/ GDDR5 DX11 Video Cards "

oh, i didn't know about that. maybe they did get it to work, or someone else did Razz

chunckylover53

It's a $900 option... Damn.

The Adli Corporation

The Adli Corporation

chunckylover53 wrote:It's a $900 option... Damn.

dual 680m's are expensive bro. there is a reason why the GTX690 (two 680's on one card) is $1000 Shocked

Pariah

Pariah

I've got a small Lenovo laptop, it's mostly used for school and gaming, but it's pretty powerful. That and my regular rig.

StormEye

StormEye

Sym wrote:I just hate the small screens of lap tops

I stare at 13 inch laptop screen for 8 hours a day...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum