Ars Diaboli
Kitsune
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51May sell my 360... - Page 2 Empty Re: May sell my 360... 2011-08-09, 22:13

Mrs. Terry of Hat

Mrs. Terry of Hat

Good point Crombie. I think a huge part of it is having a job in high school...I worked year-round through high school starting my sophomore year, and worked two jobs through college. So I have a lot of work experience which helps a lot.

But yeah, a resume doesn't have to all be work experience. I have my last five jobs listed on mine, but a huge part of mine is my volunteer experience and education/school achievements. Don't forget skills too!

If you want to see examples of resumes you can Google some decent ones. Or shoot me a PM and I'll email you mine, it's been edited by a couple of my professors/references so it's a good template and it'll show you what I mean about skills and volunteer experiences and stuff.

52May sell my 360... - Page 2 Empty Re: May sell my 360... 2011-08-10, 03:38

Kitsune

Kitsune

Crombie wrote:Heads up, long post.

Step 1:Revamp your resume.

I've never NOT had someone at least call me back. Talk to a friend/relative that's gotten a job on their own -->read: not known someone in the company, and get them to help you rewrite your resume. Spread those out to everything and anything, even if you think you aren't qualified (not like CEO of XY company or anything ridiculous though) because you never know. Like others have said, apply at whatever your interested in.

Step 2:Tradesman

Go to construction sites in your area and talk to the foreman to see if you can push a broom around various work sites. Talk to tradesmen (plumbing, elec, HVAC, Bricklaying etc) and shoot for an apprenticeship. Trades are going to take a massive hit in the next 10 years as more and more baby boomers retire and no one is around to take their places. Not to mention you can get your journeyman classification with ZERO debt (Fuck you, University) because your working while you go to school (2 months a year for 3 years).

I'm telling you kids right now, that there is plenty of money in trade work. My good friend fresh out of highschool had no idea what he wanted to do, his dad told him to get a trade till he figures it out. He got on Plumbing, and got his Jman cert. after 3 years with enough money to buy a small apartment. My other buddy got on installing elevators, he's now a foreman and runs a crew of his own. Another buddy;Electrician, Another; Carpenter. While they were out making money, their buddies were racking up student loans. While they were buying houses, their friends were in their last year of College/Uni... Food for thought.

Step 3: (semi) Recession proof jobs

EMS/EMT, firefighters, police, nursing, any medical or emergency based job is (almost) recession proof. Small towns are both fantastic and completely horrible for firefighters/EMS/Police, on the up side you'll likely never lose your job, you'll get paid well, and you'll enjoy what you do. On the horrible side, it can be hard to get in because guys are in there for LIFE and you have to wait for people to retire. (see note above about baby boomers) Also on the bad side (if you're like Greg/Terry/Symbolic or myself) is you can't smoke weed... but you can drink yourself retarded every night if your so inclined. Which leads us to:

Another great recession proof job... Liqour store clerk/cashier/stocker/etc. In a recession liquor sales go through the roof, apply at liquor stores. If your small town is anything like the towns I've lived in, you likely have 1 on every corner... or even right next to each other. Plus you get discounts, one of the most fun jobs I've ever had was working in a liquor store.

Finally... Good luck.

Thanks. I just read this now; was gone because it was my sister's birthday and we were in town. I usually don't use a resume, unless it was for a higher type of job, or one that required it, but I may start turning them in for lesser jobs. I also will need to revamp it, as it's several years old, and doesn't list my newer experience (volunteering in a spay/neuter clinic and such). I never thought of that.

I thought about looking for a gunsmith to apprentice for, because I was really interested in designing/repairing firearms, and I have a love for shooting them. However, there's no actual schools around here, and looking for people to apprentice for is really difficult, in addition to the fact that I've heard it doesn't pay well (though is a very useful skill to have). There are some trade jobs around here, mainly just automobile things. I have a friend who's been helping the boss of one of his friend's with it, but I have no experience in the matter, though he could put in a good word for me.

I'm only a month too younger for liquor stores and such, but that isn't much a problem, considering that it's just another month. There is a liquor store in town, but ironically enough, we have no bars left anymore (which is really weird, we used to have 2, many years ago, but that could be because we have around 20 churches around here Razz) I never thought about it, but I definitely will have to try at our liquor store. The gas stations and Yokes are never hiring.

Thanks for all of the advice guys; more than just I could use it too. Hopefully we all can get jobs so we can buy the money this fall.

Also, +1 AC.

53May sell my 360... - Page 2 Empty Re: May sell my 360... 2011-08-10, 03:39

Kitsune

Kitsune

Also, I may actually be volunteering at the fire station, if I get the chance to work out for a while, so I'm strong enough to actually do things.

54May sell my 360... - Page 2 Empty Re: May sell my 360... 2011-08-10, 10:44

Crombie

Crombie

Kitsune wrote:Also, I may actually be volunteering at the fire station, if I get the chance to work out for a while, so I'm strong enough to actually do things.

Do it, my brother in law is a firefighter and it's a great job. Him and all his "brothers" have been trying to convince me to be a fire fighter for years because I fit in with them so well. You need a bit of a sick sense of humor, tough skin, and not be homophobic (you'll see Wink)

Good luck. If you need help with anything shoot me a PM. I may not get to it right away but I will eventually.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum