+4
Epyk MD
Majora1988
D
StormEye
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51This website sucks... - Page 2 Empty Re: This website sucks... 2010-09-29, 16:51

Thats how I feel too, I pick and choose which things I believe about science. I don't believe anything that a religion says really, but I'm not saying that those religions are wrong because I don't know for a fact that it's not true.

52This website sucks... - Page 2 Empty Re: This website sucks... 2010-09-29, 18:11

Science is often wrong. Many things we think we know about the world today may be disproved one hundred years from now.
But based upon facts we currently know to be 100% true, we can test theories and come to conclusions. Someone may perform an experiment of some sort that leads them to believe that red meat is bad for your health. Then another group of scientists think, "I don't know about that. Let me look at how they conducted their study, and then I will try to come to the same conclusion using different methods." So sometimes we discover that what one person thinks is correct is actually false.
You can't do that with religion. You can't prove anything. That's why they call it faith, but then I don't see what's so special about "faith." Give me the facts.
Shit, it took the Catholic church 359 years to admit that Galileo Galilei was correct that the Earth moves around the sun. That was in 1992.
Scientists can prove each other wrong. They'll admit that they made mistakes. Religion; not so much. The existence of many faiths relies on this stubbornness.
As for what you hear in the news and read in the paper about the next big bird flu scare or whatever, that's just the media being the media. They're sensationalists. Every crisis is more readers/viewers for them. They blow everything out of proportion, and withhold facts that may make you doubt their stories. It's not that they're lying. They're just picking and choosing what they want to present to you to keep you hooked on their story-of-the-week. You've got to view the news through jaded lenses. The only way to see the truth is to question everything.

53This website sucks... - Page 2 Empty Re: This website sucks... 2010-09-29, 18:25

That is why I both hate science and religion Cramtron. I believe what I want to believe based upon facts that I know, because equal higher powers in both are equally retarded. And sadly, many of them care about nothing but money. I figure that most of the time the Church is the least of the two evils, because they usually are generous enough to help people, give them hope, and donate money to a good cause, such as children's hospitals and such. As for the more science type division, their job seems to be come up with hoaxs to temporarily scare people into buying more medicine that is worthless/harmful to make big bucks for large corperations, with disease and food scares constantly that turn out to be nothing. But then again, religion is the kind of thing where people are brainwashed to do mass suicides and such, so it can be equally as bad. Yes, it took the Church 359 years to admit that, so I would declare the official Catholic church retarded. However, it took scientists until a few years ago and millions of dollars to admit and "discover" that animals may have feelings and are actually capable of learning words and vocabulary, which you anybody can figure out by the time that they are a few months old. When I read that, I wanted to force everybody on that science team to facepalm on camera in front of the world.

54This website sucks... - Page 2 Empty Re: This website sucks... 2010-09-29, 18:45

I dunno, man. That's just capitalism; not science. Everybody is out to make a buck. Science may have been the source for the drugs that they're pushing, but it's the corporation headed by a bunch of business majors that is shoving their products down your throat on tv and in magazines, trying to convince you that you have some sort of mental health problem, and telling you that their drug will improve your life. It doesn't take much these days to get a drug on the market, even with all the side effects and all that other shit that comes along with it. You just have to have proof that it will stop the symptoms of whatever-the-fuck, and people who've taken the drug to say that it improved the symptoms of whatever they're suffering from.
The real breakthroughs are discovered by universities and private institutes who depend on govenment grants and private donations.
Even then, those scientists will overhype their discoveries because it means more media attention, and more attention means more money for more equipment and research.
It's just the evils of capitalism.
Not to say capitalism is evil. I can't come up with a better solution. It's just that because of the nature of capitalism, you can't really trust anyone because you don't know what their true motivations are (greed/altruism).
All in all, I think science does more good than it does bad. Religion may help some people keep their lives on track, and prevent them from doing evil, but it also motivates some people to it as well.
Either way, good and bad stem from both, people are fucked up creatures, and this world that we live in is one fucking bizarre place.

55This website sucks... - Page 2 Empty Re: This website sucks... 2010-09-29, 18:48

Lol, yep. That is the true beauty of the world isn't it? Everybody may believe what they want, there is never a perfectly correct solution for anything, but in the end, nobody will ever know who was really right.

56This website sucks... - Page 2 Empty Re: This website sucks... 2010-09-29, 21:01

Duck

Duck

People ruin everything. We let them do what they want and a group of them hoard all the money and **** everybody else. We try to equalize everything out and we get evil dictator bastards. Politics are so depressing.

57This website sucks... - Page 2 Empty Re: This website sucks... 2010-09-29, 23:01

Wacco

I feel religion and science have their strengths. I don't see how people can't find a compromise in believing both. I love science and believe most of it because it all makes sense and has been pretty much proven. Religion also explains things science can't. I don't necessarily believe everything in the Bible is true, and I don't always like how religious institutions work, but I feel like the real benefit of religion is to become more spiritual.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum