We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

computer questions

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1computer questions Empty computer questions 2012-02-10, 04:13

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

So im looking at the Dell optiplex 990. I can get the MT model, the larger one, with a 20 inch moniter for $1,000. It doesnt look to bad... It comes stock with the intel i5 2400, but I can upgrade that to the i5 2500 or i7 2600. Any suggestions there? next is standard power supply, or upgraded to 90% effeciency for $30? it comes with standard intel HD 2000 graphic card, or can be upgraded to single core 512 nd 1gb, or dual core 512 and 1gb. Im pretty sure id go for the dual core for 200 more. What are the major differences between the 512 mb and 1 gb? I can also upgrade from the stock 500 gb hard drive to the 1 tb for $35, which doesnt seem bad.
So yeah, this seems like a viable option. My public library just upgraded to these, and they actually seem really nice. Besides the fact that litterally EVERYTHING on it was restricted, I liked how it worked.

If your better at the building part than I am, any comments would help. Id hope to buy one in the next 5 months (not necessarily this one, just one in general)

2computer questions Empty Re: computer questions 2012-02-10, 04:18

Ante

Ante

For 1,000 bucks you could build a PC that runs BF3 on decent settings. That Dell would probably wither and die trying to run it. Do not buy Dell, please. They make shoddy, overpriced computers and have terrible customer service.

3computer questions Empty Re: computer questions 2012-02-10, 04:21

MEGA MILK

MEGA MILK

Twilight Sparkula wrote:For 1,000 bucks you could build a PC that runs BF3 on decent settings. That Dell would probably wither and die trying to run it. Do not buy Dell, please. They make shoddy, overpriced computers and have terrible customer service.

As a Dell owner, I am contractually obligated to fight you until you change your opinion.

4computer questions Empty Re: computer questions 2012-02-10, 04:30

Ante

Ante

MEGA MILK wrote:
Twilight Sparkula wrote:For 1,000 bucks you could build a PC that runs BF3 on decent settings. That Dell would probably wither and die trying to run it. Do not buy Dell, please. They make shoddy, overpriced computers and have terrible customer service.

As a Dell owner, I am contractually obligated to fight you until you change your opinion.

See! They make you sign contracts! Don't do it Flash, just say no!

5computer questions Empty Re: computer questions 2012-02-10, 04:45

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

thats my main debate right now. If I bought a tower id most likely buy a dell tower, and upgrade from stock. OOoorrr, I could build one. I just dont want the build to get too out of hand... plus with a dell package I get most everything I really need included with it.
I need to talk to my brother though. If I have the money to build it I can most likely get the motherboard and graphics/sound card for a lot cheaper.

6computer questions Empty Re: computer questions 2012-02-10, 05:05

That is just a complete waste of money. My $500 laptop has a more powerful gpu than that thing (intel hd 3000). For $1,000 you could build a pc that could run BF3 on high to ultra settings(no AA) at decent frame rates(40+). I personally would wait for ivy bridge and kepler to come out before you make your purchase though.

Last edited by PrototypeT800 on 2012-02-10, 05:10; edited 1 time in total

7computer questions Empty Re: computer questions 2012-02-10, 05:08

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

Im not making a purchase any time soon. Ill probably end up buying parts for a build in 3 months, if I land a job at the end of the month. In any case, Itl be another 3-5 months before ill start buying everything (hopefully)

8computer questions Empty Re: computer questions 2012-02-10, 05:10

BmmFlash wrote:Im not making a purchase any time soon. Ill probably end up buying parts for a build in 3 months, if I land a job at the end of the month. In any case, Itl be another 3-5 months before ill start buying everything (hopefully)

If you are making your purchase that far out both kepler and ivy bridge should be out. Also if you are lucky hard drive prices might also drop a good bit.

9computer questions Empty Re: computer questions 2012-02-10, 05:12

BmmFlash

BmmFlash

That sounds good, ill check those out then

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum