You are not connected. Please login or register

Any internet speed guru's here?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Did the technology forum get removed? scratch
I'll just put this here then.

Is there any tips or links to articles you guys can share about lowering your ping?
For 2 years my ping at this house was usually in the single digits (average of eight), but about a year ago it started creeping up. Now it hovers between 50 and 60 ms/sec.

Anything I can do to maybe bring it back down a bit?

Should also mention I've always had a 20Mbps down (although it always tested between 21-25) and 4Mbps up (although it always tests at 5-7).
However I'm upgrading my speed this week to 50Mbps down/ 10 Mbps up. I'm guessing this won't change my ping though.

Thanks bros.

EDIT: because the letter eight showed as a damn smiley!

Last edited by Metalzoic on 2011-03-12, 23:15; edited 1 time in total

Are you on a wireless connection? Tech forum is still here.

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Bloody Mods i always have to clean up after them

Also after this Post expect Tom Very Happy

Frostbyrn wrote:Bloody Mods i always have to clean up after them

Also after this Post expect Tom Very Happy

ninja'd

Frostbyrn

Frostbyrn

Yeah you posted while i was looking for an Arrow that pointed down on my Keyboard Very Happy

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

t-800 wrote:Are you on a wireless connection? Tech forum is still here.

Yes, Linksys N router etc... but I'm pretty sure that's what it has always been on because that's how I connected everything when we moved in.

Does wireless increase your ping Tom?

And where the hell was the tech forum, I can't find anything after the changes. Mad

Metalzoic wrote:
t-800 wrote:Are you on a wireless connection? Tech forum is still here.

Yes, Linksys N router etc... but I'm pretty sure that's what it has always been on because that's how I connected everything when we moved in.

Does wireless increase your ping Tom?

And where the hell was the tech forum, I can't find anything after the changes. Mad
Yes a wireless connection will increase ping a lot. What do you need the low ping for?

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

I just like a good connection for gaming. pingtest.net used to give me A+ scores and now it gives me B+.

Will my huge bump up in speed affect it at all?

Metalzoic wrote:I just like a good connection for gaming. pingtest.net used to give me A+ scores and now it gives me B+.

Will my huge bump up in speed affect it at all?
No and ping does not really matter if you are gaming n the 360. It is all relative to your connection to the host/server. Also how long have you had the router.

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Hmmmm...
I bought it new when we bought this house so 2 1/2 years I think.

Do you know the breakdown of good/ok/bad as far as ping for gaming overall.

Metalzoic wrote:Hmmmm...
I bought it new when we bought this house so 2 1/2 years I think.

Do you know the breakdown of good/ok/bad as far as ping for gaming overall.
Well when you game on the computer you want >20 ping but on console it does not matter on how it works.

Voltaire

Voltaire

As far as I am concerned, a ping in the 50s in damn near perfect and you should only worry about it when your ping is over 200 and higher.

https://www.youtube.com/user/voltaire9

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Hmmmm... well poop on a stick.

Thanks for all the info Tom.

Volt philosopher of ultimate power wrote:As far as I am concerned, a ping in the 50s in damn near perfect and you should only worry about it when your ping is over 200 and higher.

Ah, so you're saying it doesn't suck... well that's good!
I really would like it to be single digit again, but I don't think I want to wire anything up.

Thanks Volt.

Voltaire

Voltaire

I have seen people playing with pings in the 300 area that had no problems but that is still higher than it should be and if your ping keeps going up then you should contact your ISP.

Also just throwing this in here, if you have anyone downloading or uploading anything while you are testing your ping or playing then it will increase your ping which will lead to more lag.

https://www.youtube.com/user/voltaire9

Metalzoic

Metalzoic

Voltaire wrote:
Also just throwing this in here, if you have anyone downloading or uploading anything while you are testing your ping or playing then it will increase your ping which will lead to more lag.

Hmmm.. Well there were several devices all connected so maybe that made a difference.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum